832 replies to this topic

#701 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:28 PM

Nice. That’s a good tip.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#702 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,333 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

ICBC is facing a billion-dollar loss on its investments, but a decline in claims due to the pandemic could yield a surplus, Attorney General David Eby May 14.

Eby said the COVID-19 situation has led to uncertainty for the Crown corporation, which was on track for a good year before the pandemic hit.

“We don’t know,” he said. “It could be terrible. There could be a significant surplus.”

https://www.timescol...apse-1.24135220

"we don't know"?  we might have lost a billion.  we might but up.  who knows.  it would probably be better if someone knew.

Eby and Jimenez said ICBC opened 46% fewer accident claims (including claims for both damage to vehicles and for injuries) compared with the same time last year with fewer people on the road. That has meant a drop in the number of claims for $158 million in savings for ICBC. However, as restrictions ease, more claims are expected.

They said more than 150,000 customers changed insurance policies by cancelling their policy (103,700) or lowering their rate class (57,561), resulting in a projected $283 million decline in premiums compared with what would be normal for that period.

how abut that eh?  100,000 people parked their second car and cancelled their insurance.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2020 - 11:02 AM.

#703 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:04 AM

What are the investments comprised of, and were the losses realized, or merely digits on a screen showing they’re down from last year?

Lots of unknowns here that a half decent reporter should have pushed to have answered.

The article also includes Eby’s obligatory dig at the Liberals. Jeez Louise.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#704 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

How do you know it was a second car that was de-insured?

Know it all.

#705 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

How do you know it was a second car that was de-insured?

well i don't.  it could also be commercial vehicles not being used.  but second vehicles sounds right.  motorcycles and rvs not put on the road or the second car not being insured since the owners of both cars are now working from home etc.  kids not needing one for school etc.

in any event it seems pretty significant that big a drop.  it's a small percentage but it's still real.  when was the last time we had a drop in vehicles on the road in bc?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2020 - 11:10 AM.

#706 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

Now adding to that all of that above, imagine what’s going to happen as people start changing their home insurance plans.

I’m sure the cream is in earthquake insurance and people are cancelling earthquake coverage left, right, and centre, effectively slashing home insurance premiums in half.

Know it all.

#707 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:11 AM

well i don't. it could also be commercial vehicles not being used. but second vehicles sounds right. motorcycles and rvs not put on the road or the second car not being insured since the owners of both cars are now working from home etc. kids not needing one for school etc.

in any event it seems pretty significant that big a drop. it's a small percentage but it's still real. when was the last time we had a drop in vehicles on the road in bc?

Yeah, totally.

Now extrapolate that to gas tax revenues and gas tax pet project funding. Suddenly the anti-car lobbyists won’t have a trough of cash to dip into for whatever it is we fund from gas taxes.

Know it all.

#708 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:02 PM

I’m sure the cream is in earthquake insurance and people are cancelling earthquake coverage left, right, and centre, effectively slashing home insurance premiums in half.

Where did you find that tidbit?  I even tried to google earthquake insurance cancel bc and got nothing to substantiate this one.

#709 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

Where did you find that tidbit? I even tried to google earthquake insurance cancel bc and got nothing to substantiate this one.

In conversation with my broker. It could be only what their office is experiencing but she told me a lot of people are cutting earthquake to save money. We’re only a few weeks into these decisions, though, so it might not be registering yet as an issue.

But it makes sense, doesn’t it? $700 or $800 for that coverage alone, and you still have to kick in a $50k deductible before the insurance kicks in.

Know it all.

#710 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:05 AM

A new anti-no fault insurance campaign has been launched at https://notonofault.com

The No to No Fault campaign represents a group of British Columbians who have dedicated themselves to advocating for the right to fair compensation and access to adequate care for those who have sustained serious injuries on our roads. Since ICBC was established in 1974, we’ve been actively supporting the recovery of people throughout B.C. who find themselves facing an uphill battle with the insurance monopoly. This campaign was founded by the Trial Lawyers Association of B.C., a non-profit society dedicated to supporting and promoting the rights of individuals in British Columbia.

Know it all.

#711 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:29 AM

^ Surprise, surprise, trial lawyers don't want a system that limits the ability to sue!

• RFS, lanforod, FogPub and 1 other like this

#712 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

If you were badly hurt in an accident, wouldn't you want the full compensation you're entitled to under the law?  That's the system that was in place before ICBC made the changes with the minor injury cap and this proposed No Fault system.   Ever since then, the govt has taken away your rights if you're injured in an accident. The trade-off isn't worth it. Anybody that's been through worksafe knows it. 

This new proposed system is horrible. Especially to high income earners.  Best of luck to the trial lawyers.

#713 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:39 AM

there are both sides for sure.

some will say that if i and a high-income earner are in the exact same crash (same injuries and pain and recovery time or life-long health issues) why should she get more compensation?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 July 2020 - 09:43 AM.

#714 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

If you were badly hurt in an accident, wouldn't you want the full compensation you're entitled to under the law?  That's the system that was in place before ICBC made the changes with the minor injury cap and this proposed No Fault system.   Ever since then, the govt has taken away your rights if you're injured in an accident. The trade-off isn't worth it. Anybody that's been through worksafe knows it. 

This new proposed system is horrible. Especially to high income earners.  Best of luck to the trial lawyers.

I think that under the proposed changes you can still sue if you are seriously injured.

I know people that have been seriously injured and the current process is a mess and takes years to resolve. I also know people who have had minor / insignificant injuries that have milked the system for a fortune.

#715 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:13 AM

there are both sides for sure.

some will say that if i and a high-income earner are in the exact same crash (same injuries and pain and recovery time or life-long health issues) why should she get more compensation?

Because if I make $300,000 a year and can never work again, my personal economic loss is much higher than somebody making minimum wage that can never work again.  Under the old system which relied on the courts, the principal was to make you fully whole.  

• Redd42 likes this

#716 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:29 AM

oh I know. but the kids like communism more and more these days. that aligns with the new system.

#717 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:35 PM

Because if I make $300,000 a year and can never work again, my personal economic loss is much higher than somebody making minimum wage that can never work again. Under the old system which relied on the courts, the principal was to make you fully whole.

Made whole to a limit. You are paying the same insurance as someone making $40k. If you want higher coverage then you can buy it.

#718 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:42 PM

Made whole to a limit. You are paying the same insurance as someone making $40k. If you want higher coverage then you can buy it.

Income based insurance premiums? 

:muching_out:

• lanforod likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#719 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:14 PM

Sour grapes from ambulance chasers. Plenty of jurisdictions have no fault, works fine

#720 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:51 PM

Income based insurance premiums? 

:muching_out:

you can buy injury/disability/loss of income/life insurance completely independent of your operation of a vehicle is what the poster means.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 July 2020 - 01:52 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users