11 replies to this topic

#1 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Council nixes pruning old Garry oaks for house move
Erin Cardone, Oak Bay News
May 14, 2011

Driving away from Oak Bay municipal hall Monday evening, Jim Connelly felt his gut sink.

“I had let it down,” he said of an old house on Hampshire Road. “That’s just the way it is – you can’t win them all.”

Connelly, of Nickel Bros. house movers, was in council chambers asking for approval to have six trees pruned that overhang Newport Avenue.

The trimming would have given the company room to transport a 1912 house at 1395 Hampshire Rd. along Oak Bay Avenue and Newport to the waterfront. After being loaded onto a barge, it would be shipped up to the Saanich Peninsula and moved to Nickel Bros.’ storage facility.

The request was denied in a 5-1 vote [...]

http://www.bclocalne.../121741384.html

#2 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

OB can be so asinine.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

At first I thought the trees were on the property and uttered a few choice words about OB council, but they're not. They're city trees. Also, the house moving would require the total removal of another tree from the middle of the road.

Aren't Garry Oak trees a protected specis as well?

I hate to say it, but I think council probably made the right call on this one.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

The casual attitude in Victoria re: chopping down Garry Oaks has always bugged the heck out of me so I actually have no problem with this.

Nice street, decent old house... why not fix the place up?

#5 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

I should read more closely. I thought it was about pruning trees on the house lot.
I would have no problem with that but pruning trees along the route maybe a bit much, was there no other route?

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

I am no tree fan, but I think the neighbors have a right to expect a city tree near them no to be cut back that much. Maybe they can find a way to make it work with the house being cut in half.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

THey should just wait a couple months, the main hobby of gary oaks is getting sick and falling down.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

^what do you mean?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

I've never met a more fragile and picky species of tree before. Gary oaks seem to get sick and die or fall apart quite easily. They're the sickly emo kids of the tree world.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

^ That possibly explains why people are at pains to protect them.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

Once again I must remind you, Garry Oak is a tree; Gary Oak is a Pokemon character.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

Sounds like an appropriate decision to me. There must be another way to do it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users