6 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

http://www.timescolo...2181/story.html

Sorry, I can't post the first paragraph because I'm reading the article behind the big "please subscribe" sign :P

What I don't understand though is why people consider people they have never met to be "friends".

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

http://www.timescolo...2181/story.html

Sorry, I can't post the first paragraph because I'm reading the article behind the big "please subscribe" sign :P

What I don't understand though is why people consider people they have never met to be "friends".

I think a lot of what he says is overblown. Kids communicate by a new means. Big deal.

Quite frankly, if a good-looking woman asks to befriend me on Facebook, I check our mutual friends, see how long she's been posting under that profile/name, and add her if I'm satisfied she's not a fake profile. I suspect a 16-year-old male would be less inquisitive, and just add his female peer, but then I'm not sure either is suddenly in some greater "danger".

The Proctor thing, well, quite frankly the guilty parties' use of social media and smartphones lead to their capture and conviction. I'm not at all sure it lead to her murder.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

But the interesting thing is that he's doing it under a fake profile. People are adding him thinking he's someone he's not. I don't know. I see people's profiles with 300+ "friends" on them and I can't help but think half of them were added at random.

Facebook should add a few new categories. Instead of just friends, they should have:

Friends
Acquaintances
Friends of friends I'd fancy a romp in the sack with
Friends of friends who look like I could score a few joints or mushrooms off of.

Because we all know that's what most of those people with 300+ friends are thinking. ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

Of all the hundreds of Facebook friends some people claim to have, how many would help them move? :rolleyes:

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

I avoid helping my real friends move

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

Friends should set up a "move fund" that accumulates since their last move.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Fake FB profiles are against their policies, but hardly illegal. I suppose cops and debt collectors use them all the time. And horny guys that will not act outside of FB to lure a victim in real life 99.9% Of the time, likely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users