Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#541 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

Canada Post delivered a package the other day see the guy coming up the walkway decide to head to the door and open it to save time for the guy on the chance a signature was needed, open the door my packages is in mid-air rolls across the porch and perfectly lands in front of me I looked down the stairs and the Canada Post worker looking slightly embarrassed saysta-dah” and backs away.

Good thing those 'toys' don't break easy eh?  :banana:

#542 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

I'd take that over the guy who used to ring the doorbell at the same time that he was sticking the "not at home" notice in the slot and was already back in his truck by the time I'd get the door open.

#543 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

Good thing those 'toys' don't break easy eh?  :banana:

In a way- Tyvek suits for biological, chemical, nuclear etc. catastrophes. Ever since I was a boy scout I've always taken the “always be prepared” motto very seriously. :banana: 

Edited by todd, 03 October 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#544 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

Ontario's Appeal Court has ruled that Canada Post's constitutional rights trump municipal bylaws in a high-profile super mailbox court battle against the City of Hamilton.

Justices David Doherty, Gloria Epstein and Bradley Miller ruled Wednesday that the Crown corporation has the constitutional right to place community mailboxes on roadsides.

The city argued that it has the ability to control its own right of ways.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ision-1.3811648

#545 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

An off-duty police officer is being credited with the arrest of two prolific mail thieves in Nanaimo.

In the early morning hours of Dec. 11, the officer happened to be driving by mail boxes in the area of Superior Road and Harley Road in Lantzville, police say.

As the officer approached, the two suspects got into a nearby vehicle and sped off.

Members of the Nanaimo RCMP eventually stopped the vehicle in the area of Jingle Pot Road, where police found a large quantity of unopened mail and a variety of break-in tools.

http://www.cheknews....nanaimo-243759/

#546 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:35 AM

Anybody else catch this ridiculous drivel?

A House of Commons committee is recommending Canada Post come up with a plan to reinstate door-to-door delivery in parts of the country that lost the service in the last year and maintain a freeze on the installation of community mailboxes.

The report, released today, also muses about expanding Canada Post’s mandate to provide what it calls critical digital infrastructure, including email services or “the basis for a Canadian social network.”

http://news.national...-services-panel

Email services? A Canadian social network?

WTF? What alternate universe is this Liberal led panel living in that they think anybody would use, or pay for, a Canada Post email service? What an utter embarrassment to have our Federal government suggest such nonsense.

#547 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:46 AM

Tell me more about this email thing you speak of.

• jonny and Daveyboy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#548 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

Ya, I laughed.

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#549 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

We cannot let the Feds try and implement anything of the sort. It would be spearheaded by the ever problematic organization known as Shared Services Canada, initially implemented to save money, it has been an abysmal failure that is spewing our tax dollars worse than a critical case of Delhi belly.

They need to be shut down now.

Email Transformation Initiative: Bell Canada and CGI Group were awarded an initial $245-million contract in 2013 to create a single, government-wide email system by March 31, 2015. Fewer than 15 per cent of government employees are using the new system today. 

It will surprise no one that Shared Services’ $400-million email transformation initiative, now 20 months late with no end in sight, made the red list.

http://ottawacitizen...-of-the-iceberg

• jonny likes this

#550 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

I don't think Canada Post needs any help coming up with new ways to underwhelm.

• jonny likes this

#551 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

I would really love to meet the federal government representatives who not only had these thoughts, but decided to write them down in a recommendation that was to become public.

#552 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

They're just twenty years too late... 

#553 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

You would think the post office’s decades-long record of inability to do the one job it is asked to do — deliver the mail with some regularity — would occasion some rethinking of its mandate, perhaps to allow competition in mail delivery, as other countries have done, rather than continue to enforce a monopoly on a service that, over much of the country, it refuses to provide.

Instead, the committee’s Liberal majority proposes, not only that the post office should continue to do everything it does now, only at greater public expense, but that it should expand its mandate to the very frontiers of the known technological world, circa 1993. Excited by the untold possibilities of a network of computers some are calling “the Information Superhighway,” the committee suggests Canada Post might stem its losses on conventional mail by venturing into a service known as “email.”

I am not making this up. “Canadians need access to made and hosted in Canada free digital infrastructure to facilitate trusted communications between themselves and government and with each other,” the report claims. “Canada Post could play a pivotal role in providing the basis for a Canadian social network — authentication service, email and block chain authority for the benefit of Canadians.”

The committee majority’s apparent belief that there is an untapped market for email or a shortage of social networks would be bizarre enough. But who in their right mind would propose that Canada Post should be the one to fill it? This isn’t just “the triumph of hope over experience.” It is evidence of severe cognitive dysfunction.

http://news.national...on-superhighway

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#554 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

They're just twenty years too late...

Well that and why the hell should the government be involved in providing email or social networks at all? Why should the government compete with products or services the private sector is happy to provide? It'd be like Canada Post deciding to make cars or TVs. Why?

#555 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

If you haven’t mailed your holiday presents, you’d better get them to your local post office soon.

Today is the last day that Canada Post can guarantee delivery of parcels to major urban areas in Canada in time for Christmas Day.

It’s already too late for smaller destinations, the U.S. or elsewhere in the world.

http://www.cheknews....ristmas-248174/

#556 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

Has anyone experienced very late mail delivery this month? My business and person credit card statements have not shown up, they're about 10 days late now. I spoke to the mailman and he doesn't know what the issue is, but says that with Vancouver now sorting the Island's mail things can get very bogged down. There are days, he says, where they actually receive no mail from Vancouver to then deliver to Victoria addresses.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#557 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

i have noticed we will go 2-3 days with no mail to our building then we will get a sizable stack

#558 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

I have noticed we will go 2-3 days with no mail to our building then we will get a sizeable stack

Ditto.

#559 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

i have noticed we will go 2-3 days with no mail to our building then we will get a sizable stack

If part of that is admail, often advertisers try for later in the week. They get a 3-day delivery window, so often they will come W/Th/ or Fr.

#560 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Has anyone experienced very late mail delivery this month? My business and person credit card statements have not shown up, they're about 10 days late now. I spoke to the mailman and he doesn't know what the issue is, but says that with Vancouver now sorting the Island's mail things can get very bogged down. There are days, he says, where they actually receive no mail from Vancouver to then deliver to Victoria addresses.

You get printed statements?

• weirdie and thundergun like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users