Residential Parking Only - Argh!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

How does the City enforce this bylaw?

I was told it was by complaint process only. This is the only way I can see it being carried out, otherwise how would the parking officers have any clue as to who is visiting and who is not in the residential area.

Also - how would you define "City Block"?

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

^ They have people in little scooters......scooting around all day looking for perps.

Visitors of residences are not immune to these parking rules. If you are visiting a friend that has "residential parking only" on the street, you had better use their driveway.

The resident has a sticker on his windshield so he does not receive the $50 kiss.

......and welcome to Vibrant Victoria mc9.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Actually Sparky, I looked this up in the Bylaws because I was doing house-calls and needed to park in "Residential parking only" areas.

Basically it means anyone connected to the residence may park there. So friends and guests qualify, as well as service persons.

What they're trying to prevent is people parking a block away from a bus stop all day and using the bus to get into downtown or some other place without free parking.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

^ More investigation needed. Mrs Sparky was ticketed outside a friend's house and both the resident and her confronted the officer to validate the relationship.

No dice.

The scooter guy/gal can not tell who is visiting who and on what side of the street. Everybody pays who doesn't have a sticker.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

^ Oh I forgot...no free ride for service vehicles either.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

Although the bylaw suggests you are correct.

copied from the City of Victoria bylaws

Residential parking zone
53 (1) The driver of a vehicle may park it or permit it to remain parked on the street in a
Residential Parking Zone if, in relation to a dwelling located on a City block
abutting that Zone, the driver:
(a) resides there;
(b) is visiting an occupant there; or
© is transacting business, performing work, or rendering services there.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

EDIT:

Nevermind, Sparky beat me to it :P

Page 33 City of Victoria Streets bylaws.
http://www.victoria....bylaw09-079.pdf

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

^ More investigation needed. Mrs Sparky was ticketed outside a friend's house and both the resident and her confronted the officer to validate the relationship.

No dice.

The scooter guy/gal can not tell who is visiting who and on what side of the street. Everybody pays who doesn't have a sticker.

I wonder what the officer said to support his position that Mrs. Sparky was in the wrong.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

^ Without a sticker he can not tell if the vehicle is visiting someone in that same block or is working or attending across the street at Camosun College.

I am still investigating.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

I understood that they ticketed you, then it was a reverse onus situation. Prove you were there for a reason, at City Hall, or the ticket is valid.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

Maybe she was in a "Residential parking permit zone" I must read on.

#12 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

So, unless if it is a zone which requires a permit, there IS no way for the officers to tell unless if someone calls in and complains and the officer comes. That should take more than 15 minutes to happen don't you think? apparently, in the case of my ticket, it takes less... These signs need to be much clearer on what exactly those zones mean.

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

You should watch an episode of Parking Wars. You'll be thankful how well marked our parking is.

In some of those places unless you have studied and memorized the parking bylaws and have comed the block looking for signage in a way that would make a forensic detective jealous, you're bound to get a ticket.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

^it's not that bad. In most cases the signage wasn't observed and the peeps ended up getting ticketed. If signage was hidden or missing the ticket wouldn't hold up if taken to court and the show would serve as proof.

Parking enforcement in residential areas can be sporadic. Once I parked in the entrance of my driveway while unloading some gardening stuff and got ticketed in mere minutes for blocking a "public right of way onto a driveway," or something along those lines. Needless to say I zipped down to city hall and cleared it all up, but it was an inconvenience.

The residential parking zones are also sporadically enforced and it all depends on the squeaky wheel. In some neighbourhoods people get bent out of shape very quickly. In fact one time when I was visiting a friend in Quadra/Hillside a lady actually wrote me a note about how disrespectful I was for parking in front of her home. Sheesh. Luckily there was no residential parking signage, otherwise I bet she would have called up City Hall to have me ticketed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

In some neighbourhoods people get bent out of shape very quickly. In fact one time when I was visiting a friend in Quadra/Hillside a lady actually wrote me a note about how disrespectful I was for parking in front of her home. Sheesh. Luckily there was no residential parking signage, otherwise I bet she would have called up City Hall to have me ticketed.

I can't stand people like that. I would have taken the note and shoved it back in her mailbox. She doesn't have a right to leave garbage on your car for parking on a public road.

As for Parking Wars, I've seen a few episodes were people were ticketed for parking within xx meters of a stop sign or something else. No signage, no markings, no painted curb. If you're a visitor, you have no idea how close you can park unless you have a copy of their parking bylaw with you.

#16 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

If you're a visitor, you have no idea how close you can park unless you have a copy of their parking bylaw with you.

That is exactly how I felt when I moved here. There was no parking on my street. So I parked in a residential only spot (my house was literally just around the corner, the 2nd house in) thinking "I can park here. I am not parking for the commercial businesses across the street, I live on this block, I should be fine. Besides how could they ever enforce this..." After a few days of taking the bus I went to get groceries walked to my car to find 3 tickets on the windshield, two served within 4 hours of each other. I disputed the tickets with the City since I live right around the corner, but our residence needs to be directly abutting the zone. The signs do not indicate that that Zone was just for those two particular houses on that specific little section (whom never park on their street anyway). That is where I think the signs could be more specific.

In other cities I usually see the parking issue enforced with permits for parking in specific areas for the residents. Why not use this method?

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

There are permit only parking zones but I think that this is only done in problem areas such as near Royal Jubilee.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

The process is complaint driven, only if the resident calls the parking cops will you get a ticket.

I came to Victoria from Vancouver in the 1980s and in Van residential parking means you live in the neighbourhood. I lived in a place on Fernwood road and had to park on the next street as a guest was in our driveway. I got a ticket for parking in a residential only spot. I complained and was told that residential means as the bylaw above says. They also said that the ticket complaint driven.

#19 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:23 AM

I live close to the Jubilee.

I got ticketed when I first moved to the area. I called the city and sent them, at their request, proof (hydro bill) that I lived there. They pulled the ticket and put my tags into some sort of a database for future reference. They also said that now that they knew me, if a friend got ticketed while visiting me, all I had to do was call.

I asked about a sticker and they said that those are arranged on a block-by-block basis within the community. My block (right on Bay!) apparently doesn't do this. Hmmm.

Anyhow, I made a bunch of business cards that say, "Just Visiting," and have my address and phone number on them. I give them to visitors to put on their dash and after a year, nobody has been hit since. Maybe the cards are working, maybe we just got lucky.

#20 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

^ Without a sticker he can not tell if the vehicle is visiting someone in that same block or is working or attending across the street at Camosun College.

I am still investigating.

The Lansdowne Campus? Wouldn't that mean she was in Saanich or Oak Bay?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users