Residential Parking Only - Argh!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#121 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Not my issue... They knew that when they bought there.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#122 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

There are a lot of houses in James Bay and Fairfield where you could not add a driveway to the house.

Two neighbourhoods where being "carless" is a viable option with reasonable (but not perfect I concede) transit, car share and taxi services all available to supplement walking.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#123 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

^ Great so should be no problem for those without driveways to park in front of their house most of the time.
  • tedward likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#124 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

If you have a car, or plan on getting a car, why would you buy a house without a driveway? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#125 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Because there is lots of on-street parking? This is the norm in big cities like SF and NY why are we so strict here? In SF you may end up having to park a block or two away but that is the price for having your car in the City.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

Yup. Streets are for cars, anyway. Even in the middle of the urban core of this city you can leave your car on the street for free despite the fact that your residence should have plenty of on-site parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

https://www.oakbay.c...OLIDATED)_1.pdf

Page 15 section 3-A

#128 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

There is a residential parking only zone on May Street, just off Moss, across from that little commercial building. The residents there are ruthless for complaining. I had once left my car there as a new resident to the area thinking that being a resident of that block was sufficient, and received 3 tickets in the 30 hours or so I did not use my car. One set was only 6 or 8 hours apart. I rarely saw these people park their cars on the street.

They are also very watchful around the hospital, having parked and walked for 10 min to scope out a rental property on the street over and returning to a ticket on my car. That turned me off of renting in that neighborhood.

#129 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

These "resident parking only" signs should be removed. They just add fuel to the self-proclaimed neighbourhood nanny's fire. 

• LocalMom likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#130 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Yesterday I noticed there are 'residential only' parking spots on Cook St across from the playground just south of Cook St Village. On a sunny day that playground is packed, and parking is tight, yet there are open residential spots. It's crazy. Main thoroughfares look Cook St should not have these kind of parking restrictions.

• Nparker likes this

#131 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Down in Cadboro Village, noticed a doctor (or was it a vet?) office - and they have erected (unofficial, obviously) a 'Parking for Doctor So-and-so Office Only' sign out on the *boulevard*, as if to expect the general public not to park on the street parking cause its 'for their patrons'. 'The actual street official signage shows nothing of the sort, just where to park and not park *for everyone*.

#132 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Yesterday I noticed there are 'residential only' parking spots on Cook St across from the playground just south of Cook St Village. On a sunny day that playground is packed, and parking is tight, yet there are open residential spots. It's crazy. Main thoroughfares look Cook St should not have these kind of parking restrictions.

And most of those houses fronting the RPO zone have driveways. 

#133 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

And most of those houses fronting the RPO zone have driveways. 

One of them has conveniently placed a planter at the entrance to their driveway with a small sign saying "no parking". They obviously feel that 'their' spot on the street is more than enough parking.

#134 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

That's the sort of person who needs counselling.  And probably complains about speed limits. 

#135 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

^ I will never figure out why my tax dollars have to subsidize parking for residents only. Especially when they have driveways. I was invited to a wedding shower in Fernwood... resident parking made it impossible.

New to this discussion, so please forgive me if I'm rehashing old arguments ...

I don't get the whole Resident Parking thing.  If your accommodation does not include a parking spot, and you need one, why is the City's responsibility to save you one on the street?

• Nparker and nagel like this

#136 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

I'm inclined to think the city should start selling residential permits for these residential parking zones. $150 for the year. Otherwise, don't restrict the parking to residents and their guests. 

I'll vote for that!  People who want reserved street parking should pay for it.

(Full disclosure - I don't own a car :-) )

• Nparker and nagel like this

#137 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

New to this discussion, so please forgive me if I'm rehashing old arguments ...

I don't get the whole Resident Parking thing.  If your accommodation does not include a parking spot, and you need one, why is the City's responsibility to save you one on the street?

The City isn't saving 'you' one per sey, they are trying to keep the street clear of non-resident parking in areas where there tend to be a lot of commercials users and customers parking on the streets.

• http and Jill like this

#138 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

^still streets are for all... not just residents. Park on your property. Enlarge your driveway.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 18 December 2016 - 04:24 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry and nagel like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

People who want to use residential only parking when their friend in Fernwood is getting married can pay for it too. Via parking tickets ;)
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#140 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

The City isn't saving 'you' one per sey, they are trying to keep the street clear of non-resident parking in areas where there tend to be a lot of commercials users and customers parking on the streets.

Why?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users