Tally-Ho Hotel | 3020 Douglas Street | Hotel CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

I'm still upset the pool will be filled in.  How does that help the tenants enjoy the place?  Why not have them run it themselves, and get skills in pool chemical use, pool cleaning, tile replacement, lifeguarding etc.?

https://www.vice.com...rnment-in-court

inside-the-bc-tent-city-that-beat-the-go

Ana McBee probably looks great in a Baywatch one-piece suit.

Plus they could have a water-polo league and stage matches, that's great for team-building.  There could be a 844 team, a Mt. Edwards team, a Super 8 team (that's a geographic natural rivalry).  Plus maybe there could be a BC Housing team, a Portland Hotel Society Staff team, a VicPD team, Provincial Ambulance team etc.   

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 September 2017 - 12:41 PM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#102 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

I did that provincial commercial pool operator course over a long weekend at UVic a bunch of years back so I could run our Strata's pool - it was harder than I thought it was going to be!

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#103 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

^^ Well VHF, I think your fears about the pool are about to become a reality.

They are pumping out the water today.

They did test that water for chlorine content before sending it down the storm drain didn't they?.....didn't they?

Tally ho.JPG

• todd likes this

#104 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

its rainwater, its been empty for awhile.  I also understand construction should be done by the end of the month

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

Today's press release says:

To date, we have identified the need to keep 52 units of supportive housing on the Burnside Road side of the site and to add to the housing mix with 80 to 90 units of affordable studio, one and two-bedroom suites, whose rents will be at below market rates.

The first two floors of the Burnside-fronting building will be commercial space, providing revenues to support the low-income housing and support services. Neighbours have told us they are looking for green spaces and a walkway through to Douglas Street, which are being designed in, and would like to see services such as a grocery store, daycare and a health clinic occupy the commercial spaces.

Maybe this thread should move over into planned projects.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 April 2018 - 08:24 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#106 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

^I am a little confused by this

"keep 52 units of supportive housing on the Burnside Road side of the site"

There is nothing on the Burnside Rd side expect a parking lot, the 52 units are on the Douglas St side in the former Tally Ho

Does that mean they want to construct 80 to 90 units at the back of the site on Burnside where the giant parking lot is?

I had talked to BC Housing last year and they told me they had expected to redevelop and tear down the Tally Ho in ~5 years.  I am assuming because they expect it to be beaten to hell, but I never asked.  I can't imagine how Super 8 and Johnson St are doing

#107 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

^I am a little confused by this

"keep 52 units of supportive housing on the Burnside Road side of the site"

There is nothing on the Burnside Rd side expect a parking lot, the 52 units are on the Douglas St side in the former Tally Ho

Does that mean they want to construct 80 to 90 units at the back of the site on Burnside where the giant parking lot is?

I had talked to BC Housing last year and they told me they had expected to redevelop and tear down the Tally Ho in ~5 years.  I am assuming because they expect it to be beaten to hell, but I never asked.  I can't imagine how Super 8 and Johnson St are doing

It was always planned as a complete knock-down and redevelopment. From what I understand there will be two phases. Phase One will be a mixed-use building with the 52 supportive housing units and additional residential units to round out the allowable FAR. This new building will front Burnside, where the existing parking lot is. When complete, the residents of the Tally-Ho will move in to the new units, and the existing building will be town down. A new building will be built fronting Douglas as Phase Two.

#108 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Yep, exactly that, but with a little more demo involved in between.  This phase has residents in the east wing of the building while using lower hall and kitchen area as dining area.  Shortly after the building will be essentially cut in half, with the west section being demolished while retaining the kitchen/dining chunk.  The new larger structure will go over the parking lot and where the west section of the current building is.  Once that's done everyone in the east will move into the west and the east section can then be torn down and replaced.

• Jackerbie likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#109 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

The redevelopment by Cool Aid will see a day care located next to low barrier housing.

#110 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

Not surprising unfortunately. They got away with putting a low barrier shelter 40 feet from an elementary school for almost 2 years despite numerous issues. 

#111 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

“Supportive housing does not have a negative effect on neighbourhoods,” McTavish said.

That's... a bold statement.  I've read accounts that suggest otherwise.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

Look at all the businesses and schools near Our Place.

#113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

Look at all the businesses and schools near Our Place.

It will be interesting to see, that if approved, how well the proposed condos at the 932 Pandora sell.

#114 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

It will be interesting to see, that if approved, how well the proposed condos at the 932 Pandora sell.

It's certainly becoming a very busy area. Blue Sky going up now, 932 Pandora under staff review, rumour that Tenfold has acquired the McDs, and Townline talking to the print shop and SDA church about redevelopment.

So yah, Our Place has basically killed all potential of Harris Green. [/sarcasm]

#115 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

...So yah, Our Place has basically killed all potential of Harris Green. [/sarcasm]

I only meant that saleable properties in the 900 block of Pandora might encounter some issues. I am certain if this was proposed as a rental project it would be smooth sailing.

#116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

So yah, Our Place has basically killed all potential of Harris Green. [/sarcasm]

Name all the new businesses in the 800 and 900 blocks of Pandora.  Ya, it's been very harmful.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Relish was the most recent closure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

The auto glass shop closed.  The insurance place closed.  The other auto shop closed.  The mall on the Quadra corner is a disaster.  McDonald's is a disaster.

These new places will be good, not because they reduce the street ills but because they dilute it a bit.

#119 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Dollar Ramma staff say they’ve had a huge increase of shoplifting starting 48 hrs after tally ho opened their new and improved air b’n
Seems these shoplifters are well versed in the their rights and the law .

#120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

Dollar Ramma staff say they’ve had a huge increase of shoplifting starting 48 hrs after tally ho opened their new and improved air b’n...

Where is the nearest Dollarama?  :confused:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users