- - - - -

Municipal elections in November 2011 - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

David Cubberley- (former Saanich MLA and Councillor) has just announced he is running for Mayor (in Saanich)

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

Does that mean Frank Leonard is not running? He seems to be unbeatable.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Leonard is running. I don't think he has too much to worry about.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Leonard is running. I don't think he has too much to worry about.

Don't sell Cubberley short VHF. He was a popular councillor and MLA. He has the strong backing of the NDP types, as well as the cycling community. It could be a very interesting race. I can only hope there will be that kind of head-to-head contest in Victoria.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

I think this will make this a very interesting race. David Cubberley is the first serious candidate to challenge Frank Leonard since I have lived here (2004). I have no idea what the 1996, 1999 and 2002 elections looked like but would love to hear about them.

David Cubberley has the NDP to call on and they are moderately strong in Saanich.

Frank Leonard is the favorite at the moment, but I do not think he will have an easy time.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

Hmmm, I just thought Saanich voters are happy with Leonard. I guess we'll see.

Phillipe Lucas has declared in Victoria.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hmmm, I just thought Saanich voters are happy with Leonard. I guess we'll see.

Phillipe Lucas has declared in Victoria.

And that's the point VHF...it's not about the voters being happy...it's about how many voters are voting....and for who?

The average voter in Saanich is long term, complacent, and generally satisfied.

The red machine however, has different plans for me....my money....and my municipality.

Just watch.

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

As some of you know, I was considering running for Victoria City Council. I have decided not to for a number of reasons:

1) It does not fit my life at the moment
2) I seem to have plateaued at about 75 people offering to help and something short of $15K commitment in donations - this is less than half of what I need
3) I have not found a campaign manager
4) There does not seem like there will be any organized slate, so the odds of winning against the incumbents is almost nil.

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

Ben Isitt is running for Victoria Council.

He has a decent chance of winning which means he would displace a sitting incumbent. Without slates, he is going to actually harm the left of centre/NDP members of council. He will pull votes from all of them which could mean either John Luton, Phillpe Lucas or Lynn Hunter are defeated. There is a chance it could be Chris Coleman that is defeated.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

I am in support of almost anything (or anyone) who could bring some fresh blood and a new perspective to a VERY stale Victoria City Council. There is some MAJOR deadwood there that needs immediate pruning.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

I would vote for Rob Randall if he were to put his name forward.

#12 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

Will not be seeking re-election
If you didn't already know :P

ANEWs link/interview:
http://www.youtube.c...104/VSEPdBOVoFw

#13 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

and who out of the candidates, if anyone, is for amalgamation?

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

and who out of the candidates, if anyone, is for amalgamation?

None I would imagine. It might put them out of a job. :eek:

#15 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

Lisa Helps has declared for Victoria. She did some good work with the Fernwood Neighbourhood Resource Group - rehabing a bldg for commercial and residential use and building subsidized housing on Yukon. She now works with the Victoria Community microlending group. Says she wants to be "post-partisan".
Pieta VanDyke

#16 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

None I would imagine. It might put them out of a job. :eek:

Such a shame. I imagine it would rope in a bunch of votes for that candidate that might not otherwise be there.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

It would be foolish to make amalgamation a cornerstone of a candidate's campaign platform.

For one thing, it's a dead issue right now. At most, there's talk about regionalization of some services.

When the media says a sentence or two at most about a candidate's stand on issues, wasting it on a topic not many care about is a waste of precious publicity.

#18 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hmmm, I just thought Saanich voters are happy with Leonard.

I'm looking for change. I don't know that Cubberley is it, though.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

It would be foolish to make amalgamation a cornerstone of a candidate's campaign platform.

For one thing, it's a dead issue right now. At most, there's talk about regionalization of some services.

When the media says a sentence or two at most about a candidate's stand on issues, wasting it on a topic not many care about is a waste of precious publicity.

I honestly think any Victoria City candidate would win with this platform. Not the other munis.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

I second that. Enough pandering to the issues that get the most airplay and silence the squeakiest wheels. Politicians need to think beyond the next three years in order to get things done and not what they think will get them recognition within a year or two.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users