Photo

Westwind Hotel | Langford | Destroyed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

Anyone have pictures of the old Westwind in Langford? I can't find any photo evidence that it actually existed.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

Sirs, what was the Westwind, exactly?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

^ It was Langford's main hotel and Bar, since demolished. If I remeber correctly it also had an upstairs disco for a while.

#4 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

All I remember are nebulous memories as a child, with my father going there quite a bit. I don't think it was for the dancing. It also may or may not have had rooms for rent.

#5 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

It was a so-so hotel with a few rooms, but predominantly a Country and Western themed pub. Can't remember the name of it though. It will come to me. There was also a disco downstairs called Champs, but more known to the locals and cops as "Chumps".

#6 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

played in a band in the 80's-what a dump, and the carpet stuck to your shoes..:(

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

Where was it located?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

Where was it located?

Goldstream Ave, across the parking lot from where the Bank of Montreal is. I can't recall the name of the condos that were built there.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Westwind due to go
Gidney, Norman. Times - Colonist [Victoria, B.C] 12 Mar 1999

A redevelopment of the Westwind Plaza Hotel and 1.8 hectares of property in Langford starts next month.

The 48-room hotel, big beer parlor and cabaret closes next month, followed by demolition. Sixty employees got layoff notice two weeks ago.

Owner and developer Bill Beadle estimates the cost of the project at costing $20 million to $25 million. What will replace the bright green awnings and sprawling cinder block building isn't yet final.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

Westwind due to go
Gidney, Norman. Times - Colonist [Victoria, B.C] 12 Mar 1999

AKA...thats where the Blue Pearl is/was/Station House Pub...and all those condos directly across from the Western Foods on Goldstream. And A LOT of empty condos when I was last in the area a couple years ago.

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

^They seem to be mostly full now. A pretty good location actually, library, groceries, pub, etc. within a two minute walk.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users