- - - - -

Cash only -- list of businesses not accepting Interac and credit cards

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#101 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

I'm fairly certain you cannot put a minimum on a credit card transaction.  Of course who knows what VISA actually does if you do do it.

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

Depositing cash in to a business bank account also costs fees. In fact banks prefer that no cash is deposited because cash brings problems (armoured vehicles, mistakes when counting, counterfeit bills, increased possibly of earnings related to crime, and so on).

So one way or the other, the bank gets its fees. Unless the cash never makes it to the bank, of course.
  • sebberry and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

I'm fairly certain you cannot put a minimum on a credit card transaction.  Of course who knows what VISA actually does if you do do it.

I think that's probably the case.  You also can't charge the customer a premium for using a CC.  However, one workaround is to put "Cash discounted price" on your menu board, and charge the additional fee when processing CCs

Mark Brennae on CFAX offered an apology for his reporting of this yesterday.  I don't think it's necessary.  Is he a talk-show host or a journalist?  There's a difference.  If he's paid to have an opinion and host a discussion, then I think he was in the clear. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

Was he told by the boss to apologize maybe?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

Was he told by the boss to apologize maybe?

I think he said he was told to address it, not necessarily apologize. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#106 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

Cashless Restaurants in NYC Will Officially Be Banned This Year

New York City Council is set to pass a bill requiring all restaurants and food stores to accept cash payments from its customers

Edited by Rob Randall, 23 January 2020 - 10:32 AM.

#107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,310 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 02:53 PM

Customers can soon be charged fees directly

The settlement also gives merchants the power to pass credit card fees on to customers, starting this fall.

While very few merchants are expected to add surcharges for accepting credit cards, Pohlmann said giving businesses the ability to recoup those fees will help them push back against future fee hikes.

Meanwhile, the federal government has repeatedly pledged to lower credit card processing fees for small businesses.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6470952

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 May 2022 - 02:53 PM.

#108 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 02:58 PM

...the federal government has repeatedly pledged to lower credit card processing fees for small businesses....

Right after they get telecoms to lower their fees.

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 03:35 PM

Maybe tips will decline by whatever percentage the surcharge is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#110 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,310 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 03:38 PM

A few governments limited the percentages food couriers could charge back the the restaurant. So they just tacked on a straight fee.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 May 2022 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users