Municipal Salaries

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

^ Job posting says it's the result of a retirement, so either a replacement of the same position or CoV is using the opportunity to do a little restructuring.

FWIW, it's likely that the GM is the head honcho and the Directors report to the GM, not the other way around. That's how it is in Richmond, at least. One GM of Planning and Development, and then four Directors: Engineering, Development, Transportation, and Building Approvals.

• Mike K. and Bob Fugger like this

#42 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

In Victoria, the structure is as follows for staff (most departments have a similar structure):

City Manager

v

Director of Engineering & Public Works (Fraser Work)

v

Assistant Director, Public Works (Ed Robertson)

v

4-5 Managers of various departments (i.e.: Parking, Utilities, Transportation Design, etc.)

The job description doesn't match up to this structure very well, so curious if it's actually Ed Robertson that's retiring as Assistant Director, and the "Head of Public Works" is replacing that role. As far as I'm aware, Fraser Work is hanging around.

Edited by shoeflack, 08 January 2019 - 11:48 AM.

• Jackerbie likes this

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

How on earth does he manage to do that job as well as lead the Barenaked Ladies?

• Nparker, Bob Fugger and Victoria Watcher like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#44 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 486 posts
  • LocationWork Downtown, Live in E-Town

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

Of late, they have been changing from assistant director to Head.

They felt having Assistant Director Public Works would lead others to ask, "Well who is the Director of Public Works then?"

Source, I work there.

And yes, its a retirement replacement.

In Victoria, the structure is as follows for staff (most departments have a similar structure):

City Manager

v

Director of Engineering & Public Works (Fraser Work)

v

Assistant Director, Public Works (Ed Robertson)

v

4-5 Managers of various departments (i.e.: Parking, Utilities, Transportation Design, etc.)

The job description doesn't match up to this structure very well, so curious if it's actually Ed Robertson that's retiring as Assistant Director, and the "Head of Public Works" is replacing that role. As far as I'm aware, Fraser Work is hanging around.

• Mike K., Bob Fugger, shoeflack and 1 other like this

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,675 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

I enjoy public art, but at a time of continual civic budget increases I think this is one job that could be left vacant, at least for the time-being.

The City of Victoria wants to fill the Artist in Residence position with a professional artist who has experience in visual media and performance arts, and can work with city staff to create public art that will enhance the city and broaden the community's involvement in the arts...the contract for the selected artist lasts two years, and despite the $42,000 salary, the Artist in Residence is a part time position, logging just 20 hours a week.

http://www.iheartrad...dence-1.9065235

I get that $42,000 is a drop in the bucket, but leaving this position unfilled would indicate that the CoV is taking a hard look at its fiscal priorities.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,552 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Isn't this position the one that conceived of this $250,000 piece of art?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,675 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:54 AM

Probably.

#48 rjag

rjag
  • 5,243 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

Isn't this position the one that conceived of this $250,000 piece of art?

Its like a toast rack

• Nparker likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users