• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think the municipalities could put out additional cans for the summer. It is summer isn't it?

Why can't people just take their crap with them instead of piling it on top of an overflowing garbage can? :mad:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

I suppose it was only a matter of time. 

Bans expected at last two beaches where fires are legal

Beach fires will likely be banned soon at two of the only remaining legal sites in the capital region, Metchosin Mayor John Ranns said Monday.

Bans across the capital region have pushed too many users to Taylor Road beach and Sandgate Road beach, damaging the environment and creating fire hazards, he said.

[...]

See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.dxPJkIk1.dpuf

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

And they're gone...

http://www.timescolo...s-ban-1.1970906

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

I just understand why we can't do this in a civilized and maybe profitable way. Surely since demand is so high for this. Cities could build beach fire pits and issue permits to use. Heck you could move one of those parking things down there and you just book your time. Maybe to make it safer after you pay your time a gas fire turns on. You sit around and when your time runs out it goes off. Even if it is wood it could be done that you pay for it and wood is included and our new ambassadors could make it safe.

10 of these along Dallas Road at 20 dollars an hour seems like good revenue. 

Sensational-Backyard-Fire-Pit-Laws-Decor

• sebberry, tedward and lanforod like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

Despite the Island-wide ban on any open flames people keep having camp and beach fires throughout metropolitan Victoria. Police are regularly responding to beach fire calls in particular.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

As if it wasn't hot enough, people go and start fires to sit around.

#27 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

Common sense should be a big enough of a deterrent this time of year(and particularly this year with drought conditions). For some reason it seems when people get drunk around the fire they feel the need to stick it to the man and break their beer bottles in the fire throw trash all over the beach and then don't clean it up, there's atleast a couple spots on a beach I can think of where this happens weekly. 

If the fire is not put out properly in addition to burning up the whole area a dog, barefoot human or other animal can get severely burned by hot rocks/embers.

• sebberry likes this

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,742 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

Common sense should be a big enough of a deterrent this time of year...

“Common sense is not so common.”  ― Voltaire

“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.” ― Thomas PaineCommon Sense

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.” ― Thomas PaineCommon Sense

The foolish reject what they see, not what they think; the wise reject what they think, not what they see.  HUANG PO

• Nparker likes this

#30 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

The foolish reject what they see, not what they think; the wise reject what they think, not what they see.  HUANG PO

Me is a common sense man. That mean when me explain things, me explain it in a very simple way; that mean if I explain it to a baby, the baby will understand too, you know. -BOB MARLEY

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

So beach/campfires are banned right now, but what about home fireplaces? 

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

Why would fireplaces be banned? Wood burning ones are banned in some areas, some times for air quality issues but never for fire safety.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:29 PM

Why would fireplaces be banned? Wood burning ones are banned in some areas, some times for air quality issues but never for fire safety.

Sparkys out the chimney.

• sebberry likes this

#34 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

Sparkys out the chimney.

I have only ever seen chimneys catch on fire from soot buildup, with the smoke shelf in place any embers from the fire hit it and fall back down into the fire in most cases.

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:07 PM

I have only ever seen chimneys catch on fire from soot buildup, with the smoke shelf in place any embers from the fire hit it and fall back down into the fire in most cases.

No smoke shelf in mine.  Straight pipe.

#36 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:27 PM

Put a wire mesh screen on the top maybe, not a guarantee but would help. Bit different but did this with my outdoor chiminea.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

It's wood burning?

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

It's wood burning?

Yep.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

Just a reminder that beach fires have been banned at all greater Victoria beaches. Even beaches that once allowed fires in Metchosin are no longer an option.

• tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

Sacred fires?

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users