Photo

Should elected officials and municipal employees live where they serve?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

I think that if you serve a region you should have to abide by the same restrictions that those that are voting for that office have. To vote for City Council in Victoria I have to live or have a business in Victoria. The same should go for those that I am voting for..

The flip side is that restricting who can run also restricts who you can vote for. It reduces your democratic rights.

#22 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

The flip side is that restricting who can run also restricts who you can vote for. It reduces your democratic rights.

But isn't the right to vote already restricted?. Someone living in Oak Bay can't vote for the mayor of Victoria.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#23 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

Workers can live where they like.
Elected reps are something else though.
If people do not live or own a business in the municipality IMO they should not have the right to run for office there. I want to be represented by people with a stake in my community, who know the community, who understand its issues and who must face their neighbours.
No carpetbaggers!

#24 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

But isn't the right to vote already restricted?. Someone living in Oak Bay can't vote for the mayor of Victoria.

No, not at all. Oak Bay residents have never had a right to vote for the mayor of Victoria. Indeed, if they could it would infringe on the democratic rights of Victoria residents.

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

If we had a hard working, well liked council member or mayor who moves out of Victoria into say Sannich during the course of his term, should be be banned from running in the next election?

I think we'd all be saying "no, he's done a great job, I want to vote for him again, who cares if he lives in Saanich?"

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:47 AM

^ I don't agree. If they are doing such a good job then why are they moving out of the city. It also comes donw to what someone said earlier that if a councillor can impact my taxes than it should have the same ramifications for them.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

^ I don't agree. If they are doing such a good job then why are they moving out of the city. It also comes donw to what someone said earlier that if a councillor can impact my taxes than it should have the same ramifications for them.

I agree I wish someone would explain how this also applies to the CRD as currently some non elected politician from a different municipality has veto rights over what happens in my neighbourhood and I dont have a say at the ballot box. Tell me how this is democracy?

#28 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

^?? You could use the same argument for the house of Parliament or the provincial leg: except for your MP you don't get to vote for any of the other people passing the laws.

#29 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

^^ I would be asking why their movimg when itds our tax dollers that arr paying them.

If there was a rule about having to live in the municipality you serve, why would they get elected and then decide to move.

When city services cost so much, and property taxes are so high, should they not ne directly connected to those cost and burdens as well. If you got elected, and moved, knowing that it was required to live in the city, that's akin to a breach of contract, and a breach of public trust. No matter how hard you worked, I would say its more a recall then even running again.

#30 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:23 AM

^?? You could use the same argument for the house of Parliament or the provincial leg: except for your MP you don't get to vote for any of the other people passing the laws.

We can gladly change this thread to say should elected official and government sector employee's be required to live in the municipalities that they serve, but don't think that would of fit . :)

I am all for the same requirement to be placed on MP's et al. Just thought that, since this is a local discussion for local folks, I would start it a little more grassroots.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

We can gladly change this thread to say should elected official and government sector employee's be required to live in the municipalities that they serve, but don't think that would of fit .

Done!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

^^ WOW.... thanks Mike! For some reason, I think that was enthusiastically done! LOL

#33 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

We can gladly change this thread to say should elected official and government sector employee's be required to live in the municipalities that they serve, but don't think that would of fit . :)

I am all for the same requirement to be placed on MP's et al. Just thought that, since this is a local discussion for local folks, I would start it a little more grassroots.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about - I was referring to RJag's comment about the CRD representation being undemocratic, not the thread title.

#34 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about - I was referring to RJag's comment about the CRD representation being undemocratic, not the thread title.

Sorry was not clear on my response. Was meaning that I agree with both Rjags comment and yours. That MP's should live in the district they serve, and that yes, the CRD should be elected to there positions. I also feel that to be elected to the CRD, you should not have to be a mayor or council member somewhere to do so. Actually I think it would be better if they where not. But of course have to live in the CRD.

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

^ I don't agree. If they are doing such a good job then why are they moving out of the city.

Lifestyle change, want a bigger piece of property, etc...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#36 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

Well, to reiterate, if the people of Victoria want to elect a baboon who lives in the Moscow zoo to run the city, that is their democratic right. If they elect a council that hires baboons from Broadmeade to be the City Manager, that is also their right.

Personally I would vote against the out-of-town baboons, but I don't see why an electoral restriction needs to be put in place.

#37 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

^^ Some would say the city manager should be an elected position also.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

If most voters were aware of the physical street address of political hopefuls and understood the disconnect between their decisions and monetary implications for tax payers of a municipality, voters might be singing a different tune.

But alas the mainstream media doesn't touch these issues with a 10 foot poll and most voters are only aware of platforms and not the individuals behind them.

Unless, of course, the media can dig up a criminal past or past misdeeds of a candidate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Both Marianne Alto and Charlayne Thornton-Joe are Saanich residents.

How would you rate their performance to date as councilors?

#40 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

How would you rate their performance to date as councilors?

Any politician no a days would get nothing more then a C to C-. None of them I feel do anymore then they have to except to just get a passing grade.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users