Photo

Office space and office building development in Greater Victoria/south Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
545 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

This whole University Canada West downtown expansion could be a phenomenal boon to downtown.

Wow...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

Well that is bad news for Quadra Village but great news for SoBa (South of Bay, I will continually try different acronyms till one works. So far tried NoCa, NoTo both unsuccessful).

I like SoBa -- has a sort of zen-ish green tea flavour to it, very fusion, West Coasty, and all that. (I actually hate green tea as a drink, but you know what I mean...) Yeah, SoBa... Soe-Baa. Great. Copyright it! :-D
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:26 PM

AGMC:
(Another G-Man Creation)

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

This is fantastic, it is what I had always hoped for for Northern Downtown. Now lets build tons of student housing and watch the whole atmosphere of downtown change for the better!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

Excellent I have been waiting to name a 'hood for so long.

Seriously students will completely change the atmosphere. They hang out late at coffee shops, shop at thrift stores and live in crappy apartments what else do you need in a great 'hood.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#26 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

Well that is bad news for Quadra Village but great news for SoBa (South of Bay, I will continually try different acronyms till one works. So far tried NoCa, NoTo both unsuccessful)

I believe the papers are using the Uptown label but I can't say I much care for it. Does SoBa make much sense since everything downtown is SoBa. Perhaps NoPa (North of Pandora Avenue)? There must be a unique historical reference we could use. Since the Jumbotron is so bright, how about Shadowland?

How many students do the have at UCW? I can't find it on their website. I don't think they have that many students so where are they getting all this money from because it can't be from cashflow. And what does this mean for the UCW's involvement in the [url=http://www.sagehillsbc.com:71233]Sage Hills[/url:71233] development near Cumberland? In their [url=http://www.universitycanadawest.ca/news/News22.html:71233]news release[/url:71233] dated December 13th, 2005 they said this:

“We believe that the Comox Valley is a prime location for a private university and while we continue to grow into the full capacity of our Kings Road campus, we are excited that Sage Hills will be the future home of our main campus,” said Dr. David Strong, Chairman of LINC and President of UCW.

#27 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:10 AM

^ @FunkyMunky: UCW goes after the over-seas market in a big way, from what I understand. I.e., they're heavily into distance education (with an interesting model wherein they rely on individual or personalized tutors to help the students). That means that they won't necessarily have a huge number of actual bodies here, because some of their students (or "clients') are in Asia and also in Arab countries (I think I remember their head guy telling me this -- the Saudi, etc., part; I walked into their Kings Rd "campus" once to check it out, and got the opportunity to chat with him). So, it won't exactly be a vibrant student body presence, but you never know; they might grow in the direction of on-campus students, too...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:30 AM

In New York there are many 'hoods South of Houston Street but there is only one SoHo.

I hate the Uptown name for this area. I will actively challenge it any chance.

Reasons:

It is a block from Cityhall which is as downtown as it gets. In fact that whole area is downtown.

By referring to downtown I think that some of the powers that be think that should be the extent of the city and that anything north of that should revert to SFDs or something. Remember north of Caledonia is the Burnside Neighbourhood Association and they are not exactly the champions of new urbanism.

I actually like the SoBa name and I think that Ms. B. Havin described more poetically than I did but if someone wants to come up with something better for that OTHER than Uptown than I will be happy.

It has a whole new look!

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:45 AM

NOtCH: North of Chatham

NoCa: North of Caledonia

EGo: East of Gov't

;)
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

How did the name Harris Green come about? It sounds so...lame.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

That is the name of the strip of park that goes down Pandora. Named after Thomas Harris, the first Mayor of Victoria. There is a plaque on the part near Cook Street.

It has a whole new look!

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

So we named Harris Green after a piece of lawn called Harris Green? Oi...

Thanks G.

Know it all.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

Yes, and half of Harris Green Park is not in Harris Green.

:-/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#34 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

I like Notch, it sounds cool!

Where do you live? In the notch downtown!

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

Only problem with that one is that Chatham turns into Caledonia at Douglas so only works for the West side but I would be willing to try to change the name.

It has a whole new look!

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:54 PM

^NoChaCa.

New York also has Tribeca (Triangle Below Canal St.)

So maybe we could have Rebeba--Rectangle below Bay St.

:razz:

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:20 PM

I always think of that area as simply Northern Downtown, or the Northern Edge of Downtown. It technically lies within North Park Neighbourhood doesnt it?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

No, North Park is the other side of the arena. West of Blanshard (Webla?) is the Rock Bay neighbourhood which is a subset of the Burnside/Gorge neighbourhood. I know what you mean, though. I was surprised to learn Rock Bay extends so far to the east.

In fact, there are parts of east Rock Bay that I find difficult to think of as being Rock Bay, yet there is that area just north of Bay Street around Bridge St. that I think as being strongly a part of Rock Bay but in fact are part of Burnside/Gorge.

It just seems irrational that the SOFMC is in Rock Bay, yet the area immediately north of the body of water called Rock Bay (literally a stone's throw away) is not Rock Bay.

#39 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:53 PM

/looks confuzled

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

It just seems irrational that the SOFMC is in Rock Bay, yet the area immediately north of the body of water called Rock Bay (literally a stone's throw away) is not Rock Bay.

SOFMC is in North Park. But Island Farms is not :)

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users