Photo

Office space and office building development in Greater Victoria/south Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
545 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

When I asked a developer about it he said there is virtually no office space left in Victoria.

Yes. It's difficult to find large contiguous floorplates which happens to be what government and most larger companies are searching for. Breaking up offices between buildings (a common practice in our market) must cost a lot in lost productivity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

There are a lot of government offices in that 4000 Seymour building & I can think of a way to increase the floorspace 10-fold over what it is now....

#83 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

Do the people at Townline know that the buildings across Douglas from the City Hall have been sitting empty for a very long time? Maybe they could include some office space in their Centro project.

#84 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that when Townline revives Radius, it will be 2 commercial towers, ground floor retail, and no multi-residential.

#85 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

ok, but what about the buildings across from the city hall?

#86 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

There's some renderings out and about for a revamp to the Royal Bank Building. John Schucht (can't spell his last name, the Radius guy) was in it with Danny Danzo (the Rialto). That's all I know. My personal impression of it was pie in the sky and to pretty to be feasable. I agree that corner could use some help though.

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

^ I thought that building was just put on the Heritage Registry. Don't think changes right now would be very popular.

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

...so what's up with that government RFP? One minute all of the local media outlets are promising imminent details and the next it's like nothing is in the works.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

I have been wondering about this myself.

#90 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

Office vacancies scarce

New projects aren't expected to change things

Turner applauds Langford's efforts to attract new government office construction by offering 10-year tax holidays.

However, he anticipates the province will continue to keep most of its office space in the downtown core. "I don't really see that changing very much."

The region has a total of 7.9 million square feet of all types of office space. The second tier, Class B, makes up the greatest proportion, with 5.8 million square feet.

The Colliers report said vacancy rates have likely reached a low point, pushing rental rates for quality A and B space toward levels required to support new construction.

Rates for brand-new Class A office space would likely be about $45 per square foot, including taxes and operating costs, Turner said.

Downtown Victoria has 596,748 square feet of Class A office space.

In the past year, the region's office supply dropped by 20,500 square feet.

New office projects underway include: The Atrium at 800 Yates St. will create 180,000 square feet, and the first phase of the Uptown development at the Town and Country site will deliver 112,000 square feet. Dockside Green's first phase of office space will have 27,300 square feet, and a two-storey project at 732 Broughton St. will total 10,000 square feet.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#91 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

I do know that the Ministry of Forests would like to consolidate into one building in the city. Currently they are spread out over five buildings in the area between Douglas and Blanshard, and Johnson and Fisgard. I also know of one office that is at Selkirk.

I am unaware of an MoF office at Quadra and Yates - which building?

I personally think there is a lot to said for the development of office space north of downtown to reduce the commute into the centre of the city. All those car dealerships would much better be eight to ten story office buildings. Hopefully many of them will close in the next year or two and leave the land free to be used for something better.

The idea of offices in Langford is simply crazy as it will simply cause a lot more inter suburb travel for people working and will make transit less desirable for people. The centre of our region, when weighting for population, is close to the new Uptown centre.

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

The thread titled "More office space pls" has been merged with this thread.

Know it all.

#93 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

I am unaware of an MoF office at Quadra and Yates - which building?

That would be the space between the Starbucks on the corner and the Apple store on the ground floor of the The Wave building. They promptly masked over the windows when they moved in in keeping with the opaque window bylaw for the 800 block of Yates. :rolleyes:

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

Still quiet on the provincial government office space RFP front...?

Know it all.

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Brad Cunin Land Surveyor has moved into the space formerly occupied by Queen Mother.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

A provincial office is moving into office space at 947 Fort.

Not sure how much space they're expected to absorb.

Know it all.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

Victoria’s 2009 office vacancy remained low despite economic lull
By VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=1983

Victoria’s office market fared better than many North American markets throughout 2009, according to office vacancy statistics released by Colliers International’s Victoria office.

Vacancy rates increased just 2% to 4.5% in 2009, with downtown vacancy increasing from 2% to 4% and suburban vacancy increasing to 5.1% from 3.1%. [...]

Know it all.

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

Victoria’s office market heading for vacancy spike
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictor...-vacancy-spike/

Just a few years ago the office market in Victoria was a different story. The region was readying for a major influx of office properties as the economy, fueled by private-sector investment and a relatively stable provincial government financial outlook, roared ahead.

Multiple large-scale projects were proposed that combined, would have padded downtown Victoria’s office space by nearly half a million square feet. Unfortunately the economic slowdown of 2008, coupled with a red-hot provincial government-agenda-turned-layoff-spritz quickly put a stop to multiple projects. [...]

Know it all.

#99 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

I see the Jawls are gutting the old BC Ferries HQ on Fort Street. They would appear to be determined not to let the old building fall to "C" class office space.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#100 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

I think that was always the plan.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users