Photo

Office space and office building development in Greater Victoria/south Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
545 replies to this topic

#121 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hey, I don't want downtown to suffer, but let's be honest - it's a bit of a freak show down there.

Not really, I think you've gotten a bit of a skewed view of downtown.

Your complaint was about anecdotal reports of vandalism to cars. When I went to high school in Oak Bay there were a bunch of times that all the cars in a certain block got their mirrors kicked off (no it wasn't me).
Should I stay out of Oak Bay because of this?

#122 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

Why does it seem as though people discount the fact that we are still in the midst of a worldwide once in a lifetime / generational type of economic event?

Yet, Victoria's unemployment rate is well below the Provincial, National and North American rates. What gives with the doom and gloom?

OK, a few retail outlets have closed downtown. Is anybody honestly surprised that any of these places have closed?

#123 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

I can think of several locations where businesses have closed, or moved and they haven't managed to find a replacement.

#124 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

I can think of several locations where businesses have closed, or moved and they haven't managed to find a replacement.

Did any of these moves or closures surprise you?

I'm somewhat surprised that the Atrium has managed to lease all of their retail space given the slow growth of our national and regional economies.

#125 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

Did any of these moves or closures surprise you?

I was surprised that Plum left. It's such an urban style store. Same goes for Urban Barn. One of my favourite stores that sells jewelry in LoJo just closed as well. Not to mention Valhalla.

#126 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

I was surprised that Plum left. It's such an urban style store. Same goes for Urban Barn.

I'll give you Urban Barn. Plum is a small time clothing retailer in a big'ol sea full of low margin, homogenous clothing retailers. I am never surprised when clothing retailers or restaurants go under.

I honestly can't think of any place that has closed/relocated that has surprised me. Reckless bicycles moved down Yates St and their old place hasn't been filled. Maycock Optical moved to a bigger location down Blanshard St where it looks like they put quite a bit of money into, their old place is still vacant. Zambri's moved and their old space is vacant....there has to be more but here are three I can think of off the top of my head.

I totally agree that things have slowed down and vacancies are definitely up. I just don't agree with the sentiment that's out there that more vacancies means the downtown apocolypse is upon us. If we start to see major tenants leaving, then I'll be worried. Plum closing...meh!

#127 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

I don't think it's the apocalypse. I just think it's something to watch out for.

Plum was surprising because it's popular and it's a successful chain.

#128 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Victoria's commercial and office rates are incredibly high and that's why operating a business in Victoria is an extraordinarily expensive proposition. Our population is relatively small yet landlords have been charging big city rates for space in nondescript buildings.

The City of Victoria is so expensive to do business in that's it's no wonder so many businesses are throwing in the towel.

This would have been a good time to have refurbished the bridge. Remember all the fuss that was made about the bridge closure hurting business?

Well, what is the citys excuse now?

#129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

Developer plans two office projects in Saanich; 15-storey downtown tower in waiting
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictor...wer-in-waiting/

Victoria-based Tri-Eagle Development has had its hands full in recent years with the construction of 947 Fort Street, a six-storey office, commercial and residential project in downtown Victoria; the Raven Building, an award-winning 3-storey office project in the 4300-block of West Saanich Road; and a successful rezoning for a 15-storey downtown office tower.

Now the outfit is crafting plans for 65,000 square feet of new office space between two projects in Saanich.

“There is growing demand for modern suburban office buildings in Saanich,” said Tri-Eagle’s Travis Lee. “The Raven Building was well received and interest is already high in our upcoming project at 1590 Cedar Hill X Road in Shelbourne Village Square.” [...]

Read more.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

Round 2 of a duel between Tri-Eagle Developent and Jawl Properties is shaping up.

Race is on to build downtown Victoria’s next office building
http://vibrantvictor...ffice-building/

The purchase of the Roth Site in the 700-block of Pandora by Jawl Properties and it’s appetite to build an office building on the lot, together with the news that developers of the 15-storey Gateway Green office proposal are fielding calls from the provincial government, hint at yet another race in the making to build downtown Victoria’s next major office building.

Travis Lee of Tri-Eagle Development says the company’s Gateway Green tower has an advantage over every other office proposal in town: the project is only “60 days” away from a construction start the moment a key tenant is signed. [Read more]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

An update on south Island office development is available here.

Although not nearly as commonplace throughout the region as condo developments, several office projects are set for construction. Andrew Sheret Limited is in the early stages of constructing a purpose-built six storey office and commercial building on Hillside Avenue between Douglas and Blanshard streets. Unused space, totaling nearly 40,000 square feet, will be available for commercial tenants. At Selkirk Waterfront off Gorge Road East, construction has begun on a six-storey mixed-use residential and office building by Jawl Properties. Known as Boardwalk, the building is marketed as the last piece of the Selkirk Waterfront puzzle and will incorporate unobstructed views onto the Gorge waterway and the city beyond. Boardwalk's office space is already pre-leased by existing Selkirk Waterfront tenants seeking additional space. Out on the west shore League Assets has begun building Capital City Centre, a multi-faceted mega-project that includes a purpose-built seven storey office to house company staff.

Recently completed on Douglas Street at Audley Street is a purpose-built four storey luxury vehicle showroom and staff offices for Carson Automotive Group which oversees multiple auto dealerships throughout the capital region and the lower mainland.

In downtown Victoria Jawl Properties is actively planning a significant mixed-use office and commercial project on the Roth Site along Pandora Avenue between Douglas and Blanshard streets. The company is expected to announce a building aimed at the upper end of the office market much like Jawl's recently completed Atrium Building at 800 Yates Street. One block to the north Tri-Eagle's Gateway Green tower, at 15-storeys and 150,000 square feet, remains approved and in-waiting for an anchor tenant before construction can proceed.

Know it all.

#132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

That ugly commercial/ office lowrise at May & Moss which housed the now evicted Moss Rock Cafe, now has blacked out windows at street level. It pisses me off.
It is soon to be BC Government office space.

This is now empty again, the government office is gone, and its looking for a new tenant.

http://www.icx.ca/pr...14&Mode=7&Cul=1
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

As per sd wright's comment at http://vibrantvictor...n-2012/page-118, Shaw is reportedly planning to occupy office space for a call centre just above the liquor store in Uptown. This suggests they will move their cc operations out of their Cloverdale building.

Prior to the construction of Uptown there was talk of Shaw either building or occupying a significant amount of space at Uptown, perhaps even the majority of the space in the Future Shop office building. I guess they've decided to piecemeal a move rather than commit to a single larger base.

Know it all.

#134 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

This is now empty again, the government office is gone, and its looking for a new tenant.

http://www.icx.ca/pr...14&Mode=7&Cul=1

Still vacant.

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

That link is down now. What office is it?

Know it all.

#136 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Moss and May. https://maps.google....162.38,,0,-2.98

Edited by gumgum, 05 February 2014 - 09:20 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Despite a slow economy at the moment, there is quite a lot of office development throughout the region that is both driven by demand and speculation.

Midtown-Court.jpg

Five projects to add nearly 300,000 sq. ft. of office space
http://vibrantvictor...f-office-space/

The steady pace of office development throughout the capital region will continue as developers rush to build nearly 300,000 square feet of inventory for a market believed to be on the cusp of new space acquisitions.

“We have both demand and speculation driving construction,” says David Brumby of Cushman Wakefield Victoria, a commercial brokerage firm representing many of the region’s high profile office and commercial properties.

Pointing to the fact that government shed surplus office holdings over the last few years, Brumby adds any expansion plans will rely on new office stock. Meanwhile private tenants seeking to upgrade, consolidate or expand space are themselves in-holding for the right time to make a move.

“All it takes is one turn in the economy and [government] will be coming out with space requirements and private tenants will begin consolidating space or upgrading.  Once this happens developers will be ready with product,” Brumby said.

Of the five projects currently underway or nearing construction throughout the capital region the largest is Midtown Court, a six storey mixed-use office and commercial development at 740 Hillside Avenue between Douglas and Blanshard streets. Nearly 60% of the 82,905 square feet of office space in the 98,255 square foot development is to be assumed by the developer, Andrew Sheret, for corporate offices. Construction began in mid 2013 and completion is expected by the fall of this year. [Read more]

Know it all.

#138 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

The website of the Pacific Carbon Trust says their mailing address is still on Meares Street but their offices are vacant, leaving only furniture and the fancy recycled glass decorative features inside. They were only there a few years.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Have they folded?

Know it all.

#140 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Have they folded?

The BC government brought their operations in-house, for (take a breath) cost cutting reasons.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users