Photo

Big Wheel Burger | Victoria: 341 Cook St and West Side Village | Saanich: Gateway Village

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#241 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

/\.....sounds like it'll be worth at least one visit. Not at all a fan of Bin4, on any level, so I'm thinking it would be difficult for B-W to be any worse.

• Matt R. likes this

#242 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

Bin4 and Big Wheel are very different burgers, the former being a restaurant-style massive burger and the latter a high-end fast-food burger. Both have very unique tastes and the presentation style is very different. I'm certainly a fan!

• tedward and 57WestHills like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#243 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

Very good, fast food style.

I used to make a point of stopping in for lunch when I had a reason to go to cook st village.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#244 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Bin4 and Big Wheel are very different burgers, the former being a restaurant-style massive burger and the latter a high-end fast-food burger. Both have very unique tastes and the presentation style is very different. I'm certainly a fan!

I've found recently that Bin 4 burgers have gotten quite a bit smaller...they're more restaurant style classy fusion burger now. The Pink Bicycle is definitely the king of the restaurant-style massive burger these days. Those things are YUGE. Fatburger has a pretty good burger size too. This coming from someone who frequents our fair city's burger joints on a regular basis.

#245 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hmmm, you don't say? I agree that Pink Bicycle burgers are pretty yuge.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#246 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

I would pick Big Wheel and Pink Bicycle over Bin4 any day. My last burger at Bin4 was dry and flavourless. I don't care how many fancy toppings are on my burger, the kitchen shoudl know how to cook the burger patty properly. 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#247 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

I would pick Big Wheel and Pink Bicycle over Bin4 any day. My last burger at Bin4 was dry and flavourless. I don't care how many fancy toppings are on my burger, the kitchen shoudl know how to cook the burger patty properly. 

"Same". In addition I don't like a dining experience where I have to yell at the person directly sitting across from me as I've done on each of the 3 occasions I've been to the B4 location off Cloverdale. Also I wasn't impressed with the fries (twice undercooked) and, to my mind, their relatively limited appy menu......

#248 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

Our family has been to the Big Wheel burger place in Saanich quite a few times now and we love it. The food is excellent. The restaurant is bright and clean and even when every table is full, you are still able to chat with your family without having to shout in order to be heard. Highly recommend. 

• Matt R. and GaryRanson like this

#249 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

The Westside Village location is now open.     :cheers:

Edited by Gary H, 29 June 2017 - 03:24 PM.

• Matt R., gstc84 and thundergun like this

#250 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

Just in time for the Drag Ball Game tomorrow at Vic West Park. That would of been a money loser to have missed.
  • Matt R. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#251 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

Just in time for the Drag Ball Game tomorrow** at Vic West Park...

** Saturday, July 1.  ;)

#252 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

I am wishful that it was tomorrow today cause this weeks sucked.
  • Nparker likes this

#253 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

I am wishful that it was tomorrow today cause this weeks sucked.

Weren't you part of the CRA crowd gathered in front of the Vancouver Street offices around 11:00 this morning?

#254 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

Cool, given that I just tried Johnny Rockets, twice, I am in a burger frame of mind.  Especially since the BBQ buy/don't buy debate is still raging in my house. I can have my blood work done next door then get a burger :) Especially since my naturopath of all people told me to eat more "flesh".  Didn't say anything about fries but that is a given...

#255 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Weren't you part of the CRA crowd gathered in front of the Vancouver Street offices around 11:00 this morning?

Yep, I was! Its the 50th Anniversary of the Victoria Office... group photo for the 50/150 time capsule.
  • Nparker likes this

#256 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

I got quite sick after eating at BIG WHEEL BURGER a few years ago, and because it was intestinal I would say it likely had to do with improper food handling or storage rather then something that already infected the product prior to coming into the restaurant. 

As someone who eats out a lot, it's just part of the deal unfortunately to get intestinal illnesses from local Victoria restaurants. I have only had a major Food Poisoning from a Victoria Restaurant 3 times in my life..so not bad when considering how often I eat out.

I have been back to Big Wheel Burger a few times since, but never returned to the Cook St. Location.  I went to the Gateway Village Location in Saanich, as well as their West Side Village location in Vic West.

While I placed an order at the Gateway Village location I heard a cook in the back do a great big open mouthed SNEEZE.........3 days later I had a horrible Cold. So I would say that Sneeze I heard likely went directly all over my food.

Basically the problem I have with BIG WHEEL is they seem to have some staff with rather poor food handling skills and likely do not have their Food Safe qualification. So now the only thing I get are the Deep Fried Pickles because they are cooked at such a high temperature that it would kill anything that has contaminated it.

#257 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Why do you assume it was their food handling, and not some at your own home?

The restaurants receive inspections, their staff receive training.  At your house, anything goes.

I eat out at least 5 days per week, or more like 12 meals per week.  I've never had a food-related illness in my life, as far as I know.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 January 2018 - 09:37 AM.

• Rob Randall, 57WestHills and RoadRunner like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#258 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

...So now the only thing I get are the Deep Fried Pickles because they are cooked at such a high temperature that it would kill anything that has contaminated it.

Unless, of course, the staff sneeze on your pickles after they are deep fried. :wacko:

• Matt R. likes this

#259 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Fast food, including Big Wheel is very, very low risk. That's why Donald Trump eats fast food! 

#260 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Why do you assume it was their food handling, and not some at your own home?

The restaurants receive inspections, their staff receive training.  At your house, anything goes.

I eat out at least 5 days per week, or more like 12 meals per week.  I've never had a food-related illness in my life, as far as I know.

I had a hunch that you were going to say that...........EASY ANSWER.  The food from the Big Wheel was the ONLY Food I ate that day,  I could go more into detail as to what was in the toilet, but I don't think you want to hear about that.

As far as inspections go.........those really hold no ground. I mean if you have ever gone online and read the restaurant inspections for Victoria, you will find almost every establishment in the city with multiple repeat violations over and over again with no consequences being issued to the restaurant other than a "warning" and instructions on how to fix the issue.

Food Safe training is a course I believe every single person who works in a food handling environment should by LAW have to have. And even if a person is food safe trained, it doesn't assure that they will practice it.

Trust me, I worked in enough restaurants in Victoria in my younger days to have seen some nasty stuff going on to people's food. And that was coming from Red Seal trained Chefs, never mind counter cooks at a Burger Joint.

Edited by Star Dust, 20 January 2018 - 12:56 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users