Photo

Big Wheel Burger | Victoria: 341 Cook St and West Side Village | Saanich: Gateway Village

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#21 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

^^ Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Breezy.

#22 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

oooh, a chromed griddle! Bling bling. :)

Matt.

Hey Matt, let me ask you this: I thought the preferred way (I know I prefer it) to cook a burger is on a chargrill - not a flattop. You char the outside quickly, while allowing the juices to seal in. Why eschew the smoky, charry flavours of a chargrill to cook on a flat piece of metal?

SPOILER ALERT: I just spoke with someone in the know that told me that Bigwheel will not only be making their own burger patties, they will actually have their own grinder and will be making their own ground beef! From what I understand of food safety laws, this opens the door to Bigwheel to legally serve a medium-rare burger. I. CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT! :cool:

#23 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

You will have to come down to taste the difference.

And yes burgers will be ground in house every morning... Im an employee so I can confirm any rumors.

#24 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

It's a very simple menu. But won't people want more choice eventually?

Similar to PIG they will eventually be offering daily specials or weekly specials that will provide change from the every day menu items.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Similar to PIG they will eventually be offering daily specials or weekly specials that will provide change from the every day menu items.

Ah, very good.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

I like the burger and a beer idea. How about a sneak shot of the interior Breezy?

#27 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

Only have a blue print layout at the moment but I will be at Big Wheel sat so we will see what I can do.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

Only have a blue print layout at the moment but I will be at Big Wheel sat so we will see what I can do.

That'd be great, thanks, Breezy!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

And yes burgers will be ground in house every morning... Im an employee so I can confirm any rumors.

what cuts do you use? or is that top secret? :cool:

#30 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

I can't remember what cuts will be used.. When it comes to me I will share..

Some tid bits off the big wheel site for those who haven't read it yet.

We use ingredients that support agricultural longevity with minimal environmental impact. Sourcing product from within 100 miles of our location to limit carbon footprint and support local economies. Use environmentally safe packaging materials while instituting recycling programs on every product level.
Our Burgers are to be ground fresh daily, using locally raised, hormone and antibiotic free meats and cooked to medium on a cutting edge flat top grill all the while embracing a philosophy of FRESH, LOCAL and DELICIOUS.

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

Seems to me Big Wheel and the deer cull could be a marriage made in Burger Heaven...:P

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Is there going to be a patio?

#33 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

It will have an exterior place to sit.. It may not be an actual patio type setting as they are still talking with the city in regards to permits and the liqour license.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Seems to me Big Wheel and the deer cull could be a marriage made in Burger Heaven...:P

Oh, my. That's awesome.

#35 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

Cooking on an open flame (grill) or a closed flame (griddle) is entirely a matter of personal taste. A griddle can/will give you a better sear/crust as the surface contact is much higher. Meat doesn't really "caramelize" and the notion that juice is somehow "sealed in" is probably more of a clever marketing ploy than reality. :)

The chroming of the griddle, to my understanding, is to make cleaning simple - no more grill bricks. Basically, you clean them with a blade and it'll look shiny for years to come. Also, they don't heat the room nearly as much as a cast aluminum griddle might. They are not cheap either, but will last for decades. The grill probably cost as much as one of their cooks will make in their first year.

I would assume they are using a whole muscle for grinding, probably the chuck but we will see. 100 mile beef is real tough to come by, especially in volume. I'd love to know the source. :)

With regards to cooking medium rare, there really is no 'law' against it. After all, dozens of restaurants in BC serve beef tartare, totally raw ground beef - often with a raw egg on top! Cooking ground beef to 160 is simply a safer choice. I have no doubt that this place will be very hygienic, will grind meat every single day, throw out everything at the end of the day every day all the time no matter the volume - but trust me, be glad you can't specify a doneness in most restaurants, because typically when you eat a restaurant you are always getting the very oldest food they have on hand, which is fine, just not for medium-rare ground meat. :)

Look, the pedigree at this place is absolutely total pro, these guys don't **** around. If there's anyplace that can pull off the perfect burger, this is it. Probably the most anticipated restaurant opening in Victoria this year, and I wasn't kidding about franchising. I'd be in!

Unfortunately they aren't sourcing the buns from Broad St. Kitchen, who supplies PIG, as they make the best burger buns in town. I wonder who's tapped to make the buns. As important as the patty itself it, it's the bun that really seals the deal. Know what I mean?

Matt.

#36 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

The beef will be from the interior.. They met with the supplier first hand as all restaurant owners should do. Matt is correct with the gri and one added benefit is a quicker cooking time has the grill retains heat much better.

I believe the burgers are going to be cooked to "medium" but you may be able to make requests. The cooks will be the ones serving the food through a pass window to the customer so you wi really get to know the people who are making your food.

We are going to be rocking aprons similar to the ones they commonly use in England so we may toss a british accent or Gordon Ramnsey attitude towards ya.. Kidding. Burgers are going to be served as simple as possible to let you enjoy the actual quality and taste of the beef but a condiment bar will be available for you all.

I will try and find where the beef is from.. The cuts used and where the buns are from.

Cooking on an open flame (grill) or a closed flame (griddle) is entirely a matter of personal taste. A griddle can/will give you a better sear/crust as the surface contact is much higher. Meat doesn't really "caramelize" and the notion that juice is somehow "sealed in" is probably more of a clever marketing ploy than reality. :)

The chroming of the griddle, to my understanding, is to make cleaning simple - no more grill bricks. Basically, you clean them with a blade and it'll look shiny for years to come. Also, they don't heat the room nearly as much as a cast aluminum griddle might. They are not cheap either, but will last for decades. The grill probably cost as much as one of their cooks will make in their first year.

I would assume they are using a whole muscle for grinding, probably the chuck but we will see. 100 mile beef is real tough to come by, especially in volume. I'd love to know the source. :)

With regards to cooking medium rare, there really is no 'law' against it. After all, dozens of restaurants in BC serve beef tartare, totally raw ground beef - often with a raw egg on top! Cooking ground beef to 160 is simply a safer choice. I have no doubt that this place will be very hygienic, will grind meat every single day, throw out everything at the end of the day every day all the time no matter the volume - but trust me, be glad you can't specify a doneness in most restaurants, because typically when you eat a restaurant you are always getting the very oldest food they have on hand, which is fine, just not for medium-rare ground meat. :)

Look, the pedigree at this place is absolutely total pro, these guys don't **** around. If there's anyplace that can pull off the perfect burger, this is it. Probably the most anticipated restaurant opening in Victoria this year, and I wasn't kidding about franchising. I'd be in!

Unfortunately they aren't sourcing the buns from Broad St. Kitchen, who supplies PIG, as they make the best burger buns in town. I wonder who's tapped to make the buns. As important as the patty itself it, it's the bun that really seals the deal. Know what I mean?

Matt.

#37 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

Oh and Matt.. Not sure if they are going to franchise but they do plan on opening more if it takes off so its possible.

#38 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

Info on the cuts and the buns folks.

Currently the cuts are brisket and top sirloin (I'm unsure of proportion- Neil will definitely have the answer) of Heritage Angus beef from Two Rivers Farms and our bun is custom made (from a recipe Peter and Jeff helped with) by Island Bakery.

#39 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

Here are some images that were given to us when we were hired. I simply scanned these so I apologize for the size of the images. Hope this gives you an idea of the final product.

#40 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

we need to be logged-in to dropbox to see those pix

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users