Photo

Deer issues in Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1101 replies to this topic

#961 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

If it's just an isolated area you are trying to protect, those "Scarecrow" sprinklers are really quite effective...http://www.canadiant...t-0593767p.html... They are also pretty entertaining when dealing with door to door peddlars of merchandise, religion or politics.

• todd likes this

#962 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

I prefer this

#963 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

So far today I've culled a rat, two snails, dandy lion, one spider(made its way inside) and only knows how many organisms/microorganisms I culled just walking around. It's better working with nature.

Edited by todd, 29 May 2017 - 10:43 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#964 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Should I stop brushing my teeth because it's cruel to kill the bacteria in my mouth? Maybe at least stop the Listerine?

#965 pinguu

pinguu
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Should I stop brushing my teeth because it's cruel to kill the bacteria in my mouth? Maybe at least stop the Listerine?

Exactly, the deer are a nuisance like rats, and no-one blinks an eye at culling rats. If the deer didn't have literal doe-eyes I doubt people would have such a problem with culling them heavily.

#966 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

A couple of nights ago a friend was returning home from work at about midnight via the TCH and he witnessed a deer get hit by a vehicle in the right-most lane of the three lane stretch just north of the Colwood exit. He said the collision nearly caused a mass pile-up as the first vehicle slowed down quickly and caused other drivers to pull evasive manoeuvres.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#967 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Couldn't be a more dangerous spot for for a quick, unsignalled lane change. There's always a few vehicles doing a buck and a quarter coming up that hill.

#968 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Two people were accosted by aggressive deer Sunday in Saanich and police are warning people to take caution during fawning season.

Romeo Strasbourg was walking his maltipoo on Cumberland Road near the Lochside Trail when he turned around and noticed a deer edging toward him.

He said the doe tried to charge at him and the dog four or five times, despite Strasbourg yelling and waving his arms to scare it off.

A man was playing in his Gordon Head yard with his dog when a deer went after the dog. The deer chased the dog into the garage

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.vwki5Kyp.dpuf

#969 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Aggressive deer attacks are more common at this time of the year. Once attack has Saanich Police issuing a warning.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anich-1.4146152

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#970 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

I think you should be able to kill a deer that comes on your property only if you're trained with a bow and arrow.  Then you can cook and eat it all you want.  

Oak bay archery lessons would sell out instantly!

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#971 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

I think you should be able to kill a deer that comes on your property only if you're trained with a bow and arrow.  Then you can cook and eat it all you want.  

Oak bay archery lessons would sell out instantly!

........... Clash of Arrows- 2 hours of archery tag in a full obstacle course using foam tipped arrows. ...........

https://www.oakbay.c...s2017-youth.pdf

#972 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Nils Jensen says communities all over the island and across BC are dealing with too many deer living in their communities, and says it's only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt by an over protective doe looking out for a fawn.

Jensen says while the Province has provided $20,000 for a contraceptive pilot project in Oak Bay which is slated to start later this summer, they should have provided more since it has the potential to become a province wide model that will help other communities dealing with the same issues.  

http://www.iheartrad...-deer-1.2665967

Contraceptive pilot project coming for deer.   :banana:

#973 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

......they should have provided more........

http://www.iheartrad...-deer-1.2665967

........and install 40 motion-sensor cameras to photograph the animals as they wander its trails.  ......

http://www.timescolo...h.GJdS1uuz.dpuf

Why do we need 40 motion-sensor cameras, what are we hoping to learn that we don't already know?

#974 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:55 PM

Contraceptive pilot project coming for deer.   :banana:

Wonder how many deer they will get for $20,000.  3?

#975 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:58 PM

Why not just hire the Oak Bay Machete guy to roam the municipality for 4 months (if he isn't already), pay him maybe $40,000 to take out as many deer as possible.  Use it for his criminal defense expenses.  I guess upon the formal interview/offer meeting if he says he plans to roam the municipality anyway for the next 4 months, try to low-ball him down to maybe $30,000 and free sharpening of the machete at the works yard.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 June 2017 - 11:04 PM.

• G-Man likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#976 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

Why not just hire the Oak Bay Machete guy to roam the municipality for 4 months (if he isn't already), pay him maybe $40,000 to take out as many deer as possible.  Use it for his criminal defense expenses.  I guess upon the formal interview/offer meeting if he says he plans to roam the municipality anyway for the next 4 months, try to low-ball him down to maybe $30,000 and free sharpening of the machete at the works yard.

No.
  • Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#977 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

Try posting a help wanted at CCH on Pandora. I understand an unemployed sharpshooter is available.

#978 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

I understand an unemployed sharpshooter is available.

Is this supposed to be funny? If a car window gets shot out when a deer is driving it could just as easily cause an accident as when a person is driving.

• todd likes this

#979 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Try posting a help wanted at CCH on Pandora. I understand an unemployed sharpshooter is available.

No, hire Stipe Miocic; only fair.

#980 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

Why do we need 40 motion-sensor cameras, what are we hoping to learn that we don't already know?

Lots. There are very few scientific studies of urban black tailed deer

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)