• Please log in to reply
1101 replies to this topic

#1041 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

Amazing! Thanks for that.

We just had a very late birth in the ‘hood. A fawn has shown up and looks about a quarter of the size of this year’s offspring.

As much as I hate them messing around on my lawn I love the little critters. I can sympathize with those who are not in favour of a cull.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1042 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:36 PM

That's it I'm going to the butcher shop for some venison steaks.

#1043 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

Amazing! Thanks for that.

We just had a very late birth in the ‘hood. A fawn has shown up and looks about a quarter of the size of this year’s offspring.

As much as I hate them messing around on my lawn I love the little critters. I can sympathize with those who are not in favour of a cull.

Yeah my uncle had a pet rat thought it cute.

#1044 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,297 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:36 AM

The dogs’ owners were able to corral the four dogs after several minutes, but by then the damage to the deer had been done. The video shows the deer lying in a sand trap in obvious pain.

As for the pack mentality, Pauwels says many dog owners don’t understand their pet’s instinctive drive to hunt.

“It gets magnified when they’re in a pack and a chase gets going and the animal runs away. They become like a wolf pack and dogs can act completely out of character and people just simply won’t believe it’s their dog that’s doing that. And when we can prove it by photographs they’re astonished.”

If the dogs’ owners are charged, fines can range anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand, depending on their cooperation.

https://vancouverisl...ourse-1.4628397

that seems like an odd way to set fines.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 October 2019 - 05:39 AM.

#1045 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

That’s not my dog it’s a wolf.

#1046 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

Nearly 400 dead dear disposed of last year by Victoria, Saanich, and Oak Bay crews

"Right now we are basically doing a cull, but we are using cars," says Oak Bay councillor

Victoria, Saanich, and Oak Bay city crews disposed of 394 deer last year. While most were killed accidentally by vehicles, 62 had to be dispatched by police. After a controversial attempt at a cull in 2015, Oak Bay is now alone in attempting a pilot project injecting deer with birth control.

Oak Bay councillor Hazel Braithwaite argued that funding for deer control has not been effective, and that the region is still killing deer, just doing so accidentally with vehicles rather than intentionally with traps.

Complaints to Oak Bay council about deer disposal have included a father who says his children witnessed an officer shooting one of the injured animals.

https://www.oakbayne...oak-bay-saanich

this is exactly correct.  our urban streets are no place for deer.  period.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2019 - 08:24 AM.

• Nparker and todd like this

#1047 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:18 AM

A cop shot a deer right outside my house last month after an older driver struck the animal.

On Friday afternoon another older driver struck a deer. He didn't even attempt to evade it or slow down like someone well aware of their surroundings would have done, he just smoked it, at-speed, as it stood on the damn road looking at him.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1048 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

There were 300 animal crashes and 17,310 total crashes in 2007, which increased to 380 animal collisions and 17,830 total collisions in 2011.

An awkward by-product of animal collisions are deer that stagger to nearby properties to die.

Any deer that dies on a private property in the CRD becomes the responsibility of the property owner. Unless it is on a boulevard or roadway, that can mean paying for a private hauler to take it away.

"Technically, it's the homeowner's responsibility and, in an absolutely lawful world, the animal crematorium would come and pick it up - at a price," said Marks, adding that Wild ARC fields numerous calls from homeowners who can't believe there is no method to dispose of a carcass.

Municipal officials quietly advise property owners that if the deer were to magically find its way to the side of the road, the problem would disappear.

https://www.timescol...t-a-deer-1.3918

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#1049 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

A cop shot a deer right outside my house last month after an older driver struck the animal.

On Friday afternoon another older driver struck a deer. He didn't even attempt to evade it or slow down like someone well aware of their surroundings would have done, he just smoked it, at-speed, as it stood on the damn road looking at him.

Strategies: when an animal is in your path

If an animal is directly in front of you:
• Check your rear‐view mirror to see if there is a vehicle behind you, or if you can stop suddenly.
• Assess the risks and decide on an action. Can you stop safely? Can you steer around the animal? Would it be better to hit the animal or risk a crash?
• Slow down but resist the urge to slam on your brakes when you see an animal. This could send your vehicle out of control.
• Leave a wide margin when you drive around an animal. A frightened animal may run in any direction.
• If the animal is large and you can’t stop in time, brake firmly and steer to strike the animal at an angle. Let up on the brake pedal just before hitting the animal.
This will cause the front of your vehicle to rise and reduce the chance that the animal will come through the windshield.

https://www.icbc.com...driver-full.pdf
  • newbie_01 likes this

#1050 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:29 PM

THH22M has taken on our deer dilema

Greater Victoria’s infamous deer population were the focus of CBC’s This Hour Has 22 Minutes satirical sketch on Tuesday, Dec. 3. A laugh welcomed by many regarding a frequently polarizing subject in the Capital Regional District...

https://youtu.be/G75FM67NXG8

https://www.vicnews....control-method/

#1051 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:23 PM

that’s actually half funny.

#1052 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:38 PM

I encountered two deer strikes in two days this week, both just feet from each other. It’s quite sad that we’ve let things get to this point.

And I’ve had at least four deer killed right in front of my house since summer, two collisions I witnessed and two more the neighbours told be about, plus at least another someone else had seen and spoke about on social media.

Know it all.

#1053 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

...encountered two deer strikes in two days this week, both just feet from each other. It’s quite sad that we’ve let things get to this point.

And I’ve had at least four deer killed right in front of my house since summer,

What do you mean it's sad? This is happening because people love the deer so so much.

#1054 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

Welcome to the CRD. We love our deer to death.

• Mike K. likes this

#1055 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 04:17 PM

We have deer netting around the perimeter of our back yard as deer were coming in and eating all our vegetables. Lately we've seen deer poop again in the back yard and they ate the tops right off the beets but we couldn't figure out how they were getting in. Today I looked out and a doe was lying right in the middle of my plants. My husband ran out and chased her away and she went right over the fence and knocked down the eight foot deer netting. They sure are getting to be a nuisance and we're almost downtown.

#1056 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:53 AM

Just wait 'till one is followed to your yard by a mountain lion  :cheers:  

Know it all.

#1057 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:50 AM

Esquimalt is likely to wait another two years before taking any action in deer population management.

At Monday night’s council meeting, council heard from deer management experts including Kristy Kilpatrick from the Urban Wildlife Stewardship Society (UWSS), which has been working for the past three years to help run the pilot immuno-contraceptive (IC) program in Oak Bay.

https://www.vicnews....ontrol-efforts/

#1058 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:33 PM

“Is it time to bring back the Lyme disease vaccine?

...“The vaccine company stopped making it for two reasons: low sales (Lyme disease was less common 20 years ago); and lawsuits,”..

...The vaccine was called LYMErix, and when it was approved for sale in the U.S. in December, 1998, sales were high..

...When a tick would feed on a vaccinated human’s blood, the vaccine would enter the tick, and block the bacteria inside the tick‘s gut from entering the human..

...78 per cent effective after three doses..

...But within a year of the vaccine’s release, some users began to report they had developed neurological problems or arthritis shortly after vaccination.

The FDA began immediate studies to determine if the vaccine was responsible. They could find no link..“

https://www.ctvnews....ccine-1.4059767

Edited by todd, 20 May 2020 - 10:56 PM.

#1059 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:43 PM

Lyme Disease risk areas map

surveillance-map-20180813.jpg

https://www.canada.c...isease.html#map

#1060 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:22 AM

Huh, I didn't know we had a tick problem here. Will have to keep a closer eye out after those walks through Quick's bottom.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users