Homeless shelter in Saanich

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

As some of you may have heard, the province has offered to help Saanich put its money where its mouth is by offering to fund the construction of a homeless shelter in that municipality.

The deal is Saanich must provide the land and find an operator. An operator has stepped forward, and the province has the money ready. Now all Saanich has to do is fork over a location.

Now all Saanich has to do is fork over a location.

Ahem, now all Saanich has to do, is fork over a location.

Hmmm. There's been little diaglogue thus far in the media and via the mayor and council. They've been dealt with a huge blow because their words of encouragement for Victoria's shelters, their "send offs" of their homeless to downtown Victoria by the police and other forms of pity for Victoria's plight have caught up with them. Faced with the opportunity to establish a homeless shelter on their own soil, they're worried that they may actually have to do it.

Anyone have more information on the status of the Saanich shelter?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

How much has the province offered to pay?

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:53 PM

Whatever the cost is to build it, I guess. My sense from the media bit about the proposal was a blank cheque was waiting for Saanich to accept.

My guess is a facility like that would cost around $5 million, but its hard to know how large the facility will be since Saanich hasn't engaged in any public discussions yet. They're probably having a tough time getting through all the mail they've received from residents!

I have a feeling they'll try and say that a facility like that is more suited for Victoria, and that Saanich will help partially fund such a facility in Victoria. Either that or they'll place it as close to the Victoria border as possible so as to encourage users of the shelters to leave Saanich for the day and head into Victoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

So.... you're thinking it won't go on Ten Mile Point?

#5 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

I'd say something along the Interurban/Burnside bus route would be realistic. It's relatively cheap land with a bus connection to downtown. Saanich must own some vacant land in that area. :smt102

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

Ya, why not use Michael Williams' former home?

http://www.jcscott.c...tial/point.html

A combination of computer modeled roof overhangs, motorized blinds, automatic skylights and fifty seven climate zones allows the house to remain comfortable without air-conditioning or excessive heating year round.

Each homeless person could have their own climate zone.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:58 PM

Emperor Leonard would never permit the construction of a shelter in his empire. It could put his reign at risk.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

What about that old hospital on Gorge Rd?
Is that being used for anything?

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

A waterfront resort-type homeless shelter may backfire on Saanich. It'll become the #1 shelter west of New Brunswick ;)

Know it all.

#10 TheVisionary

TheVisionary

Banned

• Banned
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

Ya, why not use Michael Williams' former home?

http://www.jcscott.c...tial/point.html

A combination of computer modeled roof overhangs, motorized blinds, automatic skylights and fifty seven climate zones allows the house to remain comfortable without air-conditioning or excessive heating year round.

Each homeless person could have their own climate zone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Williams' 10 Mile Point glass mansion sold for about $10000000 by Uvic. I was a student worker a Uvic Communications at the time. You want to turn a beautiful house into a street shelter!!!!!????

For example, Street Link Shelter ruined Chinatown as a tourist destination; that end of Fisgard Street looks like a "shithole", especially at night. I went to meet friends at Williams' former Swan's Hotel for food and drink; I had to walk a gauntlet of about 3 groups (3-6) of transients asking for money. I didn't give them any. My security guard friend and his colleagues get really piss off at addicts and transients making lots of work for them.

They can't appreciate quality like that! The street people will turn the place into a dump in about 1 hour. I'm a landlord's kid and even I don't get a hot shot house like Williams'. The street population will have to get in the line for that house. I'm up ahead of them in line.

What's the point of working hard, being motivated, and getting your things if "whacked out" people can jump the line with no work, or effort?

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

^I'm pretty sure VHF was joking.

Know it all.

#12 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:42 AM

Somebody needs to go back to UVic and study sarcasm

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:50 AM

The old hospital on Gorge is in Victoria so that would not count. Personally the best locations for something like this would be Tillicum mall area or Douglas Corridor. Unless it is co-funded with a food place this may not work but I guess any bed is better then no bed. Just seems like quite the walk.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:54 PM

Tillicum would be a mistake. Tillicum is a truckload of problems just waiting to explode, in my opinion. But that's just me.

#15 TheVisionary

TheVisionary

Banned

• Banned
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

Eck! There are some many social problems around, it's starting to invade on my fun, entertainment, and personal "living it up". I was out at the NEW EARL'S restaurant, having a wonderful time in fancy surroundings, with a few of my close friends. I was happy and content having enjoyed a classy meal in a fancy establishment, being served by HOTTIES. I walked past the Yates & Government intersection, right into some doped up looking transients having a noisy arguement. That really bursted my contentment.

There's a reason why I no longer park my car in the city parkades. The underclass, (as classified by my Sociology text book), like to shoot up drugs, urinate, and some even defecate in the parkades. Some get into cars to go shooping for loose coins, or items that can be pawned.

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

How old are you?^

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

I have never in eleven years had a single problem in one of Victoria's parkades. Never not once ever. It is the most supremely over talked about problem in Victoria.

It has a whole new look!

#18 TheVisionary

TheVisionary

Banned

• Banned
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:29 AM

How old are you?^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're asking me?... I'm old enough to drive, make my own purchase decisions, have credit cards, have investments, sign contracts/agreements without parental consent, and wipe my own butt without assistance.

I'm also old enough, not have to ask my parents or other adults about the "birds & and beasts" and how they do it.

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:31 AM

That's scary^.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:41 AM

Youch!

Ok then.

I am thinking perhaps Saanich is going to end up supporting more low-income housing and say that is their contribution to the problem.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users