• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

Image courtesy of City of Victoria

Councillor Lynn Hunter is seeking re-election to Victoria council in 2011.

Political affiliations: NDP; Victoria Civic Electors
Campaign website: not available
Resident of: City of Victoria

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

Resident of James Bay and this seems to give her a 2-3 block "exclusion zone" of conflict of interest, as per a recent rezoning request which she said presented a conflict. How it could possibly affect her condo is beyond me.
Pieta VanDyke

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

Perhaps she looks out over the property? What was the rezoning in relation to, Barra?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

The rezoning request was for the project sometimes called the Pyramid - on Belleville next to Laurel Pt. She is farther west - don't think she can even see it.
Pieta VanDyke

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

Did she also cite a conflict of interest for the project that replaced the original "pyramid" proposal, or are both the pyramid and the latest approved proposal by the same developer?

Know it all.

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

I can't see proximity as conflict. Madoff is forbidden from issues involving bed & breakfast zoning as she owns one. Coleman couldn't comment on the PCC rezoning of Milestones on the harbour as he worked for them as a consultant.

Now, being a neighbour I could understand but living a couple of blocks away seems odd. Then again, the rules aren't just about conflict, it also specifies "perception of conflict" so she may be overly cautious which is good although you must admit it gets you a free pass from voting on controversial issues--remember Councillor Fortin got to walk out of the room any time the Rock Bay Shelter was brought up.

#7 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

I can't see proximity as conflict. Madoff is forbidden from issues involving bed & breakfast zoning as she owns one. Coleman couldn't comment on the PCC rezoning of Milestones on the harbour as he worked for them as a consultant.

Now, being a neighbour I could understand but living a couple of blocks away seems odd. Then again, the rules aren't just about conflict, it also specifies "perception of conflict" so she may be overly cautious which is good although you must admit it gets you a free pass from voting on controversial issues--remember Councillor Fortin got to walk out of the room any time the Rock Bay Shelter was brought up.

Yes I do. Among many others he skirted.

#8 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

Is there anyone not related to the NDP running for Council?

#9 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

Is there anyone not related to the NDP running for Council?

Yes. But I would find it helpful for the runners listed if they are specifically non-partisan.

I know I will not be voting for any NDP party loyalists.

#10 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

Hey, did you guys know that Lynn's a former one-term NDP MP for Saanich-Gulf Islands? No? Well, you would if you've ever heard her speak you, because SHE WORKS IT INTO EVERY PUBLIC SPEAKING OPPORTUNITY SHE GETS.

SPOILER ALERT: she was as equally mediocre an MP as she is a City councilor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users