• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Image courtesy of www.SteveFilipovic.ca

There are 47,000 non-voters in this City, a crisis and an opportunity for change. The Establishment has two teams that both spend $60,000 and only win the support of 1 out of 8 voters. We have run some very small money campaigns and have won some very impressive levels of support, still we must do more. Reach out into your group of friends and neighbours and motivate them all to vote for Change at City Hall. Help chase Big Money out of our Democracy and win Affordable housing. It is Time! - www.SteveFilipovic.ca

Steve Filipovic is seeking election for mayor of Victoria in 2011.

Political affiliations: Green Party
Official website: www.SteveFilipovic.ca
Resident of: Victoria

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

Right now, Steve is testing Victoria with a Geiger counter checking for deadly radiation.

Make of that what you will.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Steve Filipovic

Steve Filipovic
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } You will be happy to know that I didn't find much radiation. Well I did find a bit, we took the air filter off my pickup truck and tested it and got about 1 milliseiverts, that means my air filter is radioactive. In Seattle they estimated that the average person inhaled 10 hot particles a day for the whole month. Those hot particles are now lodged into my air filter. Since the event was on about March 12, I would say we can assume they would have received another two weeks of 10 particles a day. Oh and May came and went and there was still a large amount of meltdown activity. Actually we are in day 208 since the event that you won't hear about in the news. Our Media reported that thing had all been cooled down around August 11th but in Europe they are been told that the site at Fukushima is still in total meltdown on all three reactors. The molten uranium has melted through the reactor core, the cement floor and is now in the ground under the plant. It is not a good situation in Fukushima, it is not a good situation here either. The effects of radiation are cumulative which means we will all live a little less and cancer rates will start to climb, but you know, whatever, take from it what you will.

#4 Steve Filipovic

Steve Filipovic
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

Steve Filipovic is seeking election for Mayor in 2011.
You should help me win, because we all win when we get real democracy at the helm. Agenda driven politics by big money means we will all be paying more and more and more for everything. Until we finally unseat the establishments, both of them.

Political affiliations: Green
Official website: www.SteveFilipovic.ca
Resident of: Victoria

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:03 AM

What are your thoughts on the OCP?

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the info update, Steve. I've updated the thread now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Well I did find a bit, we took the air filter off my pickup truck and tested it and got about 1 milliseiverts, that means my air filter is radioactive.

So, 1 mSv/210d = .2 microSv/h which is less than the background exposure of 0.34 microSv/h. Not to discount the horrible disaster at Fukishima, but it makes little sense to make it sound like this has been an intercontinental disaster.

#8 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

Right now, Steve is testing Victoria with a Geiger counter checking for deadly radiation.

What do you make of it?
In chains by Keynes

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for letting me know you're slightly insane, or at least unelectably scientifically ignorant. Good to know in the runups to elections.

I'd love to know where all the candidates stand on bigfoot, cell phone radiation/wifi, hollow earth reptoid conspiracies and so on. I've always believed a rational and answer-seeking mind is absolutely essential for any sort of leader.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

^ no no, you just do whatever the city engineer says to do.

#11 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for letting me know you're slightly insane, or at least unelectably scientifically ignorant. Good to know in the runups to elections.

I'd love to know where all the candidates stand on bigfoot, cell phone radiation/wifi, hollow earth reptoid conspiracies and so on. I've always believed a rational and answer-seeking mind is absolutely essential for any sort of leader.

We need more people like Baro at this site!

Holden, your silence is deafening. :rolleyes:

Filipovic is most closely identified with the Greens while his site has him shaking hands with Willy wooden shoes! :confused:

Next!
In chains by Keynes

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

The real reason for delaying work on the new bridge is not the buried Telus cable, it's for the retrieval of the flying saucer that is buried in the mud below the site for the new span.

It was the radiation, not the lack of maintenace that doomed the Blue Bridge.

#13 aaroninvictoria

aaroninvictoria
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

[quote name='Baro']Thanks for letting me know you're slightly insane, or at least unelectably scientifically ignorant. Good to know in the runups to elections.

I'd love to know where all the candidates stand on bigfoot, cell phone radiation/wifi, hollow earth reptoid conspiracies and so on. I've always believed a rational and answer-seeking mind is absolutely essential for any sort of leader.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know where all the candidates stand on bigfoot (my uncle), cell phone radiation/wifi (somewhat worried about my phone... I use speaker phone often and don't leave it in my pocket), hollow earth reptoid conspiracies (godzilla is my hero) and so on (ready for it!, tell me about 2012!). I've always believed a rational and answer-seeking mind is absolutely essential for any sort of leader.[/QUOTE]
@aaroninvictoria aka @aaronhallcooks

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

I'm of two minds on this. On one hand I'm grateful, because really, nobody else is taking radiation readings around here and face it--radiation would definitely not be the first Japanese thing to wash up on our shores in recent history. So now we can rest easy that there's nothing here above normal background radiation. So I won't label him a conspiracy theorist. Unless he has opinions on 9/11 or chemtrails. Until then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he's a decent guy with some good ideas.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#15 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

can you tone it down on the awful signs you posted everywhere last year, Steve?

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

Can people please show a bit more respect and try and discuss candidates in a fair but critical way. This should not be a site for picking on a candidate but instead question and discuss issues.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

I don't recall Steve's signs being any more unsightly than any other candidate.

#18 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

I have always been a left wing anti Dow-chemicals kind of guy.
As I listen to this guy talk at the various all candidate meetings I feel that I could have voted for him when I was 18 and full of idealistic views. However I now realise that it takes some real business sense to run a city and every time you vote in a guy like Steve Filipovic or Phillipe Lucas you end up chasing away Industry , business , and jobs.
Seems Paul Brown is the all round best choice at this point.

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

I have always been a left wing anti Dow-chemicals kind of guy.
As I listen to this guy talk at the various all candidate meetings I feel that I could have voted for him when I was 18 and full of idealistic views. However I now realise that it takes some real business sense to run a city and every time you vote in a guy like Steve Filipovic or Phillipe Lucas you end up chasing away Industry , business , and jobs.
Seems Paul Brown is the all round best choice at this point.

Couldn't you just make that your signature line like Fugger, it would save you typing it over and over after each post?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

Steve seems like a nice guy, but he sure doesn't know how to choose a slogan. It may have seemed cute to 'spin' the occupy movement to the notion of 'occupying' i.e. working at - city hall. But the occupy movement started to go sour pretty early, and Steve is stuck with being linked with it in voters' minds. Not a good connection.
Pieta VanDyke

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users