Photo

Quadra Village

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:03 AM

Here's some pictures of the renovated Fairway Market on Quadra, and below that I've included pictures of what
this property could look like (but won't)

Which would you prefer?

This is what it could look like (but won't)

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:42 AM

No question there. It would be a vast improvement. To be fair to the Yuen's I doubt they are buying the building but are instead just leasing it. At some point that whole stip mall has to go.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

Hey Oxford, nice pictures there!

If they switched the above (run down looking, old-styled construction) with the below (new, nice, modern looking style), I'd be one happy man :lol:.

#4 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

To my knowledge only the grocery site will renovated at this time.

As this is the nucleus of Quadra Village, the mall will have to be completely rebuilt but parking will be an issue. Now if the small grocery on the north and Roxy theatre are included in the next phase of renovation/new constructions, the area will have a new lease on life.

The area has a large population, Fairways will be very popular.

Doc Sage

#5 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

I am going to be moving into this neighbourhood next month so I'm going to get to know this new Fairways really well.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:15 PM

Fairway. Without the s. :)

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:00 AM

I live five minutes south of there.

It has a whole new look!

#8 djp

djp
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:54 PM

The hypothetical development you are showing is from Vancouver's Cambie and Broadway area, very close to where I live. That part of Broadway reminds me in many ways of downtown Victoria. It would be nice to see some developments like that go in in areas like Quadra Village.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

Quadra village has really been showing its potential since they've been working on beautification. Hopefully someone will realise that adding vibrancy to an area means having people around and not just adding some pretty plants and light posts. It needs higher density!

#10 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

They have their signs up, they're huge and crazy sparkly when you drive past. The landscaping looks like it's almost done, and they're open for business.

#11 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

Not bad.. the street-level might remind me a bit of Robson.. The only thing I might change would be the uniformity of the store fronts on the ground level - they need a little surprise here and there, otherwise it could feel bland like some of the newer the storefronts along Pacfic Boulevard - 1200 block or so, on the North side of the street.

I like the green wall that starts partway along the oneside.. I love texture like greenery and brick. One of my favourite buildings in Kerrisdale has some lovely brickwork on it.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

The new Fairway Market is open for business!

It has a whole new look!

#13 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

Where the San Remos market is there are apartments above. They have been in terrible, terrible shape, and now are being renovated. They expect to have them on the rental market again by late spring.

#14 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

The new Fairway Market is open for business!

Wow... the cafe area by the Deli really took me by surprise. I know it is brand-spankin new, but for Fairway it seems like a definite step-up.

I'm jealous of neighbourhoods with nice shiny newly renovated grocery stores.

#15 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:03 AM

I used to live in this neighbourhood 10 years ago and it was fairly sleepy at that time. Today it is a busy urban commercial area just like neighbourhoods found in big cities like Toronto and Vancouver (albeit only one block long!). Good job Victoria. :)

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:14 AM

If University Canada West ever actually takes off as a school and the Uni expands then this will become one of the coolest neighbourhoods in Victoria teeming with students.

It has a whole new look!

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

I'd welcome new housing on the UCW site but I think that as SoBa densifies (hopefully with a mix of folks, including young families) an elementary school will once again be needed.

Otherwise, families have no choice but to flee to the suburbs.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

Sammy's grocery, the smaller store near the Roxy, has a "Closing Out Sale" sign in the window.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

I knew that was only a matter of time. It would be nice to see a little 3 storey building there with apartments above some more shops. No parking needed.

It has a whole new look!

#20 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

^You mean like something that was already there?

Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users