- - - - -

[Central Saanich] Carl Jensen | Council

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

Sometimes the little things can have a major impact especially when it comes to impressions.....how about changing the name from Keating Industrial Park to Keating Business Park....the word industry brings on thoughts of noise and smoke and heavy equipment....havent seen too much of that in the last 25 years....

Just a thought

@rjag - That's a very interesting idea because you are right about the images the term "industrial" brings up. When I talk to my daughters about the "industrial" park the first thing they think about are large chimneys pumping pollution into the air. Great idea!!

You have asked before about Keating, are you a business owner in the area and if so, are you willing to share which one?

Carl

Carl I. Jensen
Central Saanich Councillor

Twitter - @carloncouncil
E - carl.jensen@csaanich.ca
T - 250.858.6532
Facebook - http://facebook.com/carlforcouncil

#42 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

Had an interesting night tonight in the Central Saanich Council gallery as I heard about all of the organizations that had applied this year for Grant in Aid funding. Apparently the applications had doubled since last year and I heard about the requests ranging from $500 to thousands of dollars. In the end, almost $300K was requested from Council, and it was decided that the decision would be deferred to the new Council. I can see how those would be some very difficult decisions to decide which organization's receive funding and which don't.

I understand that the line must be drawn somewhere, but I can appreciate how challenging that must be at any level of government.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#43 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

You have asked before about Keating, are you a business owner in the area and if so, are you willing to share which one?

Carl

Private message sent.

#44 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

Well, the papers have been submitted, I am now officially on the ballot for the upcoming CS Elections!! Looking forward to the announcement tomorrow stating who is actually running as that will end months of speculation!!

Time to kick the campaign up a notch, for those in CS, get ready for the next phase of the campaign!!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#45 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:26 PM

Here is the official list of who will be running in CS:

Mayor – One (1) to be Elected
Surname Given Name(s) Residential Address

BRYSON Alastair 1239 Mount Newton Cross Road, Saanichton
GRAHAM Christopher 651 Senanus Drive, Saanichton

Councillor - Six (6) to be Elected

COOPER Liam 17-7675 East Saanich Road, Saanichton
GARRISON John B. 114 Campbell Place, Duncan
JENSEN Carl 1012 Damelart Way, Brentwood Bay
KING Zeb 951 Stelly’s Cross Road, Brentwood Bay
MASON Susan 1300 Marchant Road, Brentwood Bay
McNULTY James 3180 Livesay Road, Central Saanich
OLSEN Adam 952 Stelly’s Cross Road, Brentwood Bay
OUNSTED Cathie 6665 Tamany Drive, Victoria
SIKLENKA Terry 471 Sparton Road, Victoria
SPENCER Wayne 1013 Marchant Road, Brentwood Bay
STROUD Sue 105-7088 Wallace Drive, Brentwood Bay
THOMPSON Robert 1894 Doney Road, Saanichton
WINDSOR Ryan 7159 Wallace Drive, Brentwood Bay

School Trustees – Two (2) to be Elected

CLAXTON Nick 7637 Central Saanich Road, Saanichton
DUNFORD Timothy Earl 6776 Barbara Drive, Victoria
TAYLOR James 309 Glen Nevis Road, Victoria

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#46 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

Saanich Peninsula Chamber of Commerce All Candidates Forum

Taken from the Chamber website:
Thursday, November 3rd, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (doors at
6:30 p.m.) at the Saanich Fair Grounds. Moderated by Wayne Watkins.
This forum is FREE to attend. Seating is limited so come early.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#47 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Great discussions today on the campaign trail as I connected with a number of residents to discuss topics such as composting on farms, Friends of Slugget Creek, Centennial park recreation expansion and partnerships around soccer in CS.

Was speaking with one resident on an issue, when he said, "Well Carl, I'm afraid that you and I don't see eye to eye on this issue..." to which I responded, "I understand, but perhaps there is some middle ground where we can come together on this issue". Then the discussion continued as we determined that there was some middle ground between our two viewpoints. There is an opportunity for this, but it has to come from the dialogue. I want to connect with the citizens that are interested in that conversation/discussion. I am not interested in the person that asks me what my stance was on one single issue and then hands back my brochure when we do not agree on that single issue. That's how we have come to create some of the splits within our community.

My role is to find a way that will unite the oppositions by helping to find the common ground between what both parties are seeking in a situation. That is citizen engagement and there is no reason we as residents, business owners and politicians in CS cannot find common ground on most issues facing this community. By finding common ground, we can reach a conclusion on some issues which will enable us as a district to move on and face the more urgent challenges we are facing in the years ahead.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#48 Ryan Windsor

Ryan Windsor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrentwood Bay

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

In fact the area is already called the Keating Business Park. Keep up the good work and community engagement @Carl Jensen and keep asking good questions @RJag.

#49 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

In fact the area is already called the Keating Business Park. Keep up the good work and community engagement @Carl Jensen and keep asking good questions @RJag.

Perhaps tell that to the sign makers and also the current Mayor and Council :) as no-one seems to have told them!!!

#50 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for dropping by and adding your thoughts @Ryan Windsor! If the name is officially "business park", then there are clearly a great deal of businesses in the area that didn't get the memo as they are still calling it an "industrial" park. Wouldn't hurt for the District to clarify that point so that the businesses have an opportunity to get behind them on this.

I agree with the comment made earlier that "business park" is a more appropriate term for the area and I for one am going to start referring to it in that regard. There's one convert down, a few more to go...

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#51 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Atta boy!

#52 Ryan Windsor

Ryan Windsor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrentwood Bay

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

As attached you can clearly see it is called the Keating Business Park. I was down speaking with some of them and they definitely know it. I agree with you @RJag and Carl that Keating Business Park is the appropriate name.

http://www.centralsa...ca/Business.htm

#53 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Ryan,

so how can we get council to start using that term?

#54 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

@rjag - By electing the "converted"!!

No seriously, it will take some time as all you have to do is a google search for businesses in the Keating area and there is a constant refernce to the "industrial" park. This will take some time but it can be done!!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#55 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

I thought it might be useful to answer this question to give everybody a sense of where my motivation is coming from for my campaign:

"I love Central Saanich and I plan to grow old here while ensuring this remains a beautiful and financially attainable community for my children to live in as well."

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#56 Ryan Windsor

Ryan Windsor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrentwood Bay

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

Agreed Carl it is about education.

#57 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

It wouldn't hurt to get the couple of Exit signs on the PBH changed as well to "Business" park. Might be nice to see some consistency when referring to the area. That will help to drive the change.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#58 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

Only four weeks until Election Day!!!!! Less than a week until the first All Candidates Forum on Oct 28 at the Brentwood Community Hall!!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#59 Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

Unfortunately a name change to the Keating Industrial Area is the easiest but also most uneffective change that needs to take place.
By the way, a sign on Mt Newton X Rd directing traffic to head up Central Saanich X Rd to this area refers to it as "Keating Industrial Area".

What needs to change is the plan for economic development in Central Saanich in its entirety. The present OCP and urban containment boundaries only provide for growth of commercial land use in the Keating Industrial Area, therefore the message to all potential businesses is that if you come into Central Saanich your only option is to be lumped into one area that contains every business use imagineable - industrial, high tech, retail, office, warehousing, manufacturing, and food service - I'm sure there are more. Central Saanich needs to give potential businesses much more in the way of options so that the business owners can decide what option will be most successful for them. After all, they know their business better than anyone - where as past council believe they know more about business than anyone.

This is not effective planning from the perspective of creating an environment for businesses to be successful, therefore how does Central Saanich expect to encourage business owners to invest in their businesses in Central Saanich when there are other options available which are much more likely to be successful. Unfortunately, the present OCP and urban containment boundaries were created by a council of strong opposition to all growth while presenting their platform as "preserving agricultural land". These council members evidentally had no business sense, based on their extremely poor plan to encourage economic development. Central Saanich needs council that has a strong balanced approach with the ability to relate and listen to the business community while also a desire to preserve the rural appeal of Central Saanich.

@Ryan Windsor - you mention that you have listened to the existing businesses in Keating Industrial Area. Are you going to meet with those businesses that have left Central Saanich to hear why they left the Keating Industrial Area? Obviously they had concerns that need to be addressed. Have you talked to the business communities in other municipalities to hear what is important to them in selecting a municipality to do business? By simply talking to the present businesses in the Keating Industrial Area, this is an extremely narrow minded approach as you are simply listening to the converted. Or is this your way of simply creating an image that you support the business community for the sole purposes of getting votes, when you really don't care about opinions that could make a positive difference to these very important stakeholders in any municipality? If you truly support the business community and care about making a difference, you should be meeting with the various chambers of commerce in Greater Victoria to hear what is truly important. Again though, that is if you truly care or simply just trying to position yourself for votes.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

Good points, Ryan, and welcome to the forum!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users