Shellie Gudgeon | Victoria Council

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Shellie Gudgeon is seeking election to Victoria council in 2011. Image courtesy of http://voteshellie.com/

Managing a pair of thriving businesses, completing the restoration of a heritage house and raising a family mean that Shellie Gudgeon has her hands full. But she would be the first one to tell you that it is because of these successes that she can -- and regularly does -- put time back into her community. http://voteshellie.com/

Political affiliations: not available
Official website: http://voteshellie.com/
Resident of: Victoria

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

Shellie seems to be first off the mark with a storefront office (SW corner Fort and Quadra Sts) as well as lawn signs. I say good for her, although a lot of those signs will be trashed or stolen - its probably a good idea to put them up closer to election day.
I think Shellie will be a great Councillor. She has experience in business - starting and continuing to operate the 5th St. Bar and Grill. Its a good business that has identified and met its' customer's and the neighbours' needs. She has also been quite active with the North Quadra Business Owners/Residents Association, getting right in there to plan street improvements etc.

Moderators - Does she have a thread on this site? If so, could you move this?
Pieta VanDyke

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

Shellie also used to own Willie's Bakery on lower Johnson -- does she still own Il Terrazo?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

Political affiliations: Dean Team?
Official website: http://voteshellie.com/
Resident of: Victoria

Shellie was spotted at the Open Victoria launch press event, leaving City Hall with Emperor Dean-o. She also hosted the afterparty at 5th Street Bar & Grill for NDP 101, a meet-and-greet event for the UVic NDP club on October 11th.

Methinks Shellie has the makings to be another "strong and independent voice" at the council table, in the vein of Marianne Alto. :rolleyes:

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

She's not on the Labour Council's list of endorsements so I would think that she's unaffiliated.

That and she drives a Porsche SUV. Would Mariann Alto or Ben Isitt drive a Porsche SUV? ;)

Know it all.

#6 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

She's not on the Labour Council's list of endorsements so I would think that she's unaffiliated.

That and she drives a Porsche SUV. Would Mariann Alto or Ben Isitt drive a Porsche SUV? ;)

Good point re: VLC endorsement. As for the Porsche SUV, they're sublime - everyone should get to drive one!

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

The VLC only endorses candidates that ask to be endorsed by them. She could very well be affilited with the NDP and just not pursued an endorsement from the VLC.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

So that's how it works? One just needs to ask for an endorsement and they'll stand behind a candidate no ifs or buts?

Know it all.

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

So that's how it works? One just needs to ask for an endorsement and they'll stand behind a candidate no ifs or buts?

No. Perhaps I should have been a little clearer. If you have asked the VLC for an endorsement they, "interview" you to ascertain your viewpoints on some "key" issues for them and if you respond correctly you get an endorsement.

They do not give endorsements to anyone who does not ask for it.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

If you can stomach it, here is the whole sordid story of the 2009 VLC/CUPE endorsements:

http://vibrantvictor...read.php?t=3308

I don't care anymore about NDP/non-NDP--from now on, I am categorizing candidates as nutbar/not a nutbar. I met Shelley briefly and I say she is definitely not a nutbar.

Go to her campaign office and talk to her yourself. It is noted that the office at Fort and Quadra is in Fairfield as alert VibrantVictorians already know.

#11 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

Shellie was spotted at the Open Victoria launch press event, leaving City Hall with Emperor Dean-o. She also hosted the afterparty at 5th Street Bar & Grill for NDP 101, a meet-and-greet event for the UVic NDP club on October 11th.

Methinks Shellie has the makings to be another "strong and independent voice" at the council table, in the vein of Marianne Alto. :rolleyes:

I've never seen Shellie at an NDP meeting. Maybe the UVic club rented the premises?

Putting her and Marianne Alto in the same camp is speculative and specious. Why don't you focus your comments on peoples' platforms?
Pieta VanDyke

#12 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

I've never seen Shellie at an NDP meeting. Maybe the UVic club rented the premises?

Putting her and Marianne Alto in the same camp is speculative and specious. Why don't you focus your comments on peoples' platforms?

I made a couple of observations and offered a conjecture based on them. It was discussed, where I pretty much conceded I was off base. Like a couple of weeks ago. Please, try to keep up.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

I will be voting for Shellie just based on the fact that I see her cleaning up garbage by herself at 8 in the morning Quadra Village. I see her doing this a couple times week and that doesn't mean she isn't doing it more often.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

I understand she had a big role in the Quadra Village rehab.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

Based on the VV poll results, Gudgeon is out of the race. Neither the left or the right is showing any favoritism towards her.

Know it all.

#16 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

^ I find the lack of enthusiasm pretty surprising, given her record in Quadra Village, and as a successful business owner and small-scale developer.

#17 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

And after all that Gudgeon actually made it on City Council which just proved my point that the VV poll results bore little relation to the actual polls. I voted for her and am glad that she made it. Anyone that drives a big Porsche SUV and runs successful businesses has my vote. I just hope she doesn't go out and buy a dumbcar liked Alan Lowe did after getting elected.
In chains by Keynes

#18 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

I didn't know much about her or even decide to vote for her until the last min, but i'm glad she made it in. Interested to see how the new councillors turn out.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

Those Porche SUVs are fugly.

#20 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

So apparantly I was really off base in the conclusion I drew by seeing Dean and Shellie laughing together outside of City Hall at the Open Victoria launch; according to comments I heard from someone who purports to know Shellie. Shows me for drawing baseless conclusions. :cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users