Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#5941 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Does anyone here remember (Cats4Hire, I’m looking in your direction) B.C. Transit last year making a big deal about changing the front and rear bus route indicators to read OFF instead of NOT IN SERVICE or NVC on the back? Something about better indicating the status of the bus for customer service reasons (or something vapid like that)?

It seems like they have quietly gone back to the previous model. I can’t find anything online anywhere and I could have sworn that I read about it in the Tiny Colonialist.

I jumped back to the discussion of it in this thread (276 and 277) and don't see any official comment from BC Transit or a TC link (although I think there was a Transit employee in the thread talking about it). I don't really remember if there was an official statement about the signs at any point although it is kind of funny the OFF thing only last 4 months.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#5942 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

If anyone here takes the 66 or 99 they estimate it will take 3.5 hours to get home tonight (and will have a break somewhere in the Westshore area) https://bctransit.co...d=1403649873446

#5943 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

That’s physically impossible. The Circle Route on a normal day takes 3.5 hours. It’ll take approximately 4.5-5 hours to run that route today.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5944 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

So Mike K has mentioned before how terrible the Dockyard/Westshore connection is via bus but I never realized it was bad here too. My brother got a job at Dockyard (although a little up Admirals road so the 15 and 26 aren't very helpful here). He starts at 7:15 AM and what he has to do is take the first 31 of the day (meaning he's leaving the house just after 6) which is all well and good but then he has a 20 minute layover downtown waiting for a 25 to come (it's at Yates/Broad stop at 6:41) a 30 stops by there at 6:39 and he doesn't want to risk that. I can see why Dockyard workers wouldn't want to bus as it seems almost everywhere has bad connections. At least Esquimalt seems to be an area they know needs changing but going by what seems to be going on with the Burnside/Tillicum area stuff I expect this once again to mostly be "here's some unhelpful ideas for changes we'll do no matter how you guys vote" 

#5945 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:48 AM

I didn't realize that the left turn from TCH to Carey was being closed as part of this bus lane thing.  That's a LOT of people who will be using the already dangerous and congested Douglas & Saanich intersection. 

You want to get cars off of the bus/bike route and you close off the first opportunity drivers really have to move over to Blanshard. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5946 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

Yeah; there is a problem there with moving traffic in and out of Uptown and over to Blanshard. I'm not sure what the solution would be that doesn't involve a new full intersection though.

#5947 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

Alternatively this could push that traffic to leave the TCH at Tillicum to connect to Carey, or along Cadillac to Carey.

#5948 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:56 AM

You want to get cars off of the bus/bike route and you close off the first opportunity drivers really have to move over to Blanshard. 

Wouldn't McKenzie be the first opportunity? I guess it is a little far though... I never liked turning up Carey from Douglas unless I'm continuing on Carey or going to Uptown. Ravine gets far too backed up to make it worth it (combined with basically having to wait for the Saanich light most times to even get the chance to turn left anyway).

• 57WestHills likes this

#5949 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:59 AM

I didn't realize that the left turn from TCH to Carey was being closed as part of this bus lane thing. That's a LOT of people who will be using the already dangerous and congested Douglas & Saanich intersection.

That is going to be awful for emergency services. Surprised that got approved? That's the way Police & Ambulance divert from heavy traffic.

#5950 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

That is going to be awful for emergency services. Surprised that got approved? That's the way Police & Ambulance divert from heavy traffic.

Presumably they will be able to use the bus-only shoulders of the highway, and the bus lanes south of Saanich Road as well.  I suppose there will be some congestion in the bus lanes south of Saanich, but on the shoulders, there should never be any general purpose vehicles in them (although I'm laughing because cars go wherever the F they want to despite rules).

#5951 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

I didn't realize that the left turn from TCH to Carey was being closed as part of this bus lane thing.  That's a LOT of people who will be using the already dangerous and congested Douglas & Saanich intersection. 

Unsignalized left turns are a disaster waiting to happen. Two solutions: close the turn or fully signalize it. I favour the latter - along with some roadway changes to make it clear the highway ends at Carey and you are entering an urban area and should not expect to drive quickly.

• SgtNeonPanda likes this

#5952 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:28 AM

I agree, put a signal there and just make Douglas 100% full of signals so that only 1 car can fit. Douglas/TCH can never have too many signals!

#5953 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like Douglas/Saanich intersection is being upgraded to include dual left turn lanes from Douglas onto Saanich. I image that the intersection reconfiguration will include controlled left turn lanes like what was done at Douglas/Finlayson and is on most of Blanshard. So eliminating much of the danger from that intersection.

• SgtNeonPanda likes this

#5954 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

Sounds like Douglas/Saanich intersection is being upgraded to include dual left turn lanes from Douglas onto Saanich. I image that the intersection reconfiguration will include controlled left turn lanes like what was done at Douglas/Finlayson and is on most of Blanshard. So eliminating much of the danger from that intersection.

I hope this is a joke.  A dual left turn lane in the middle of an urban area is stupid enough, but one on a 120 degree turn like that one is very dangerous.  That is not an easy turn to make in any vehicle, and to make it a) avoiding vehicles in the left turn lane onto Douglas, b) the second lane of turning vehicles and c) the pedestrian refuge, is going to not go well at all.

#5955 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

I hope this is a joke.  A dual left turn lane in the middle of an urban area is stupid enough, but one on a 120 degree turn like that one is very dangerous.  That is not an easy turn to make in any vehicle, and to make it a) avoiding vehicles in the left turn lane onto Douglas, b) the second lane of turning vehicles and c) the pedestrian refuge, is going to not go well at all.

The release wasn't overly clear around the turn lane. They say "the Saanich Road intersection will be upgraded for enhanced safety, with two signalized turning lanes for southbound traffic along Douglas Street". I assume that means dual turn lane, but I could be misinterpreting that. At any rate, it sounds like they are upgrading the entire intersection.

#5956 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

They better. I've been on a couple 30/31s that have been side swiped waiting to turn onto Douglas from cars turning off Douglas. One of them actually knocked the mirror off (although it was a large truck)

#5957 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

Oh, the way I read that presser, the two turning lanes are from Saanich Road onto Douglas SB, not the other way around.

#5958 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

Oh, the way I read that presser, the two turning lanes are from Saanich Road onto Douglas SB, not the other way around.

The intersection is being completely redesigned and Saanich/Boleskine is being better aligned (straightened). The two-lane left turn is southbound from TCH to Saanich Rd to replace the loss of the left turn onto Carey Rd. And it will become a controlled left turn as opposed to the existing advance left turn.
  • shoeflack and 57WestHills like this

#5959 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

Oh is that right? Is there a design that we can see that's floating around out there?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5960 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Oh is that right? Is there a design that we can see that's floating around out there?

I would suggest checking the MOTI website as it is provincial jurisdiction. I have seen the renderings but do not have access to a hard copy.
  • Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users