BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6001 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

southbound lanes are south of Finlayson only

I thought it was Tolmie to Hillside to make them cover the same area the NB lanes currently do. They ripped up all the trees along Douglas on that side between Tolmie and Finlayson anyway.

#6002 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:53 AM

I thought it was Tolmie to Hillside to make them cover the same area the NB lanes currently do. They ripped up all the trees along Douglas on that side between Tolmie and Finlayson anyway.

You might be right, one of the two at any rate (they are a block apart)

#6003 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

Talked to one of the crew working on the bus lane project.  Finlayson to Burnside will be fully re-opened within a couple of days (just clean-up work right now).  Burnside to Hillside is a smaller job than the other segments.  Overall the project is looking like it is on-track to the construction schedule (end of Oct?).

• Cats4Hire likes this
"I know nothing"

#6004 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

Ah ok thanks for that update. Maybe once the vehicles and equipment are gone I'll be able to notice the difference then.

#6005 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

Talked to one of the crew working on the bus lane project. Finlayson to Burnside will be fully re-opened within a couple of days (just clean-up work right now). Burnside to Hillside is a smaller job than the other segments. Overall the project is looking like it is on-track to the construction schedule (end of Oct?).

So Without looking it up for myself, where will the bus lane terminate? Burnside?

#6006 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:02 PM

So Without looking it up for myself, where will the bus lane terminate? Burnside?

bus lane is supposed to meet up with the current one (starts about Kings and I think ends at Herald or Caledonia)

#6007 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

Anyone have any idea on the timeline for the northbound lanes, north of Tolmie? I know the sidewalk and planters have already been ripped out in front of Swiss Chalet/Tim Hortons/Esso, and I noticed today that they seem to be digging up the road in front of Shell at Saanich and Douglas (unless they're digging for something else) as well as the empty lot/former gas station across the corner (or is this simply for the double turn lanes?). If I'm not mistaken, parts of the TCH north of Uptown are also in the process of widening. 

I'm very curious as to how they're going to manage to add bus lanes in both directions at Douglas and Cloverdale without tearing down the Money Mart and adjacent building. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!

#6008 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:57 AM

According to the sign on Douglas/Tolmie north is also scheduled to be done in October. Aren't those supposed to go to the Burnside bridge? I'd be surprised if they were on track.

#6009 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

Anyone have any idea on the timeline for the northbound lanes, north of Tolmie? I know the sidewalk and planters have already been ripped out in front of Swiss Chalet/Tim Hortons/Esso, and I noticed today that they seem to be digging up the road in front of Shell at Saanich and Douglas (unless they're digging for something else) as well as the empty lot/former gas station across the corner (or is this simply for the double turn lanes?). If I'm not mistaken, parts of the TCH north of Uptown are also in the process of widening. 

I'm very curious as to how they're going to manage to add bus lanes in both directions at Douglas and Cloverdale without tearing down the Money Mart and adjacent building. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!

In Saanich they are north-bound only, the south-bound lanes don't start until the City of Victoria border.

#6010 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

The rider's guide is online now making it easier to see schedules. The 9 seems really poorly scheduled as most of the buses heading to Interuban are going up Gorge/Tillicum/Burnside/Interurban within 2 minutes of an 8. I'm also not really sure why it's weekdays only and doesn't really run between 1-3 PM. Wasn't the point of this route to connect Tillicum/Gorge residents with Hillside? That's what they were proposing on the surveys at least yet this just seems like another Uvic bus. Strangely it doesn't have reduced service in December though. https://bctransit.co...s/1403650585610

Edit: 83 also no longer serves the airport apparently 

Edited by Cats4Hire, 17 August 2018 - 03:03 PM.

#6011 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

In Saanich they are north-bound only, the south-bound lanes don't start until the City of Victoria border.

For now, but they will eventually be bidirectional through Saanich. 

#6012 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:25 PM

For now, but they will eventually be bidirectional through Saanich. 

Not according to the current plan. There is no current plan for southbound lanes in the ministry-owned section of Douglas St (the part in Saanich)

#6013 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:25 PM

The new schedule does ensure shorter, more consistent connections between 70/72 and 87/88 at McTavish Exchange though, so overall a benefit to YYJ.

#6014 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:39 AM

I also see the westbound travel time along Douglas/TCH is estimated to be lower this fall, thanks to the TCH bike lane.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6015 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:40 AM

You mean bus lane lol.

#6016 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:42 AM

Oh yeah!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6017 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

🚍 BC Transit taking another step in battery electric bus testing 🚍

VICTORIA – BC Transit is taking another step in its process of evaluating battery electric bus technology by testing a zero-emission New Flyer Xcelsior CHARGE™ heavy duty transit bus over the next two weeks. The test will provide a better understanding of the capabilities, range, and operational processes and requirements of another electric bus type.

The battery-electric bus, manufactured by New Flyer Canada ULC, is powered by a 480 kilowatt hour (kWh) battery, and is recharged at a charging station at the Langford Transit Centre. The bus weighs approximately 14,932 kg and can accommodate up to 82 passengers including two wheelchair positions. BC Transit will be testing the range as part of our work.

As the test of the New Flyer bus gets underway, BC Transit continues its six-month in-service trial of a BYD battery electric bus. The electric bus has been on a variety of routes in the Victoria Regional Transit System, and customers will have the chance to ride the bus until October. BC Transit is in discussions with various bus manufacturers to evaluate and test their battery electric buses to gain a better understanding of this new technology.

BC Transit is committed to sustainability, and will use the information gathered from testing of electric buses to help inform our planning for a zero-emission fleet.

Know it all.

#6018 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:19 PM

BC Transit taking another step in battery electric bus testing

VICTORIA – BC Transit is taking another step in its process of evaluating battery electric bus technology by testing a zero-emission New Flyer Xcelsior CHARGE™ heavy duty transit bus over the next two weeks. The test will provide a better understanding of the capabilities, range, and operational processes and requirements of another electric bus type.

The battery-electric bus, manufactured by New Flyer Canada ULC, is powered by a 480 kilowatt hour (kWh) battery, and is recharged at a charging station at the Langford Transit Centre. The bus weighs approximately 14,932 kg and can accommodate up to 82 passengers including two wheelchair positions. BC Transit will be testing the range as part of our work.

As the test of the New Flyer bus gets underway, BC Transit continues its six-month in-service trial of a BYD battery electric bus. The electric bus has been on a variety of routes in the Victoria Regional Transit System, and customers will have the chance to ride the bus until October. BC Transit is in discussions with various bus manufacturers to evaluate and test their battery electric buses to gain a better understanding of this new technology.

BC Transit is committed to sustainability, and will use the information gathered from testing of electric buses to help inform our planning for a zero-emission fleet.

So essentially a slightly smaller double decker? Those seem to hold ~80 passengers (although that's the minimum listed). If it's out in Langford I guess it will mostly be on 50/61/65 routes.

edit:

actually the XN40 Xcelsior holds 81 at max according to the "Our Fleet" so maybe it's like that? I rarely see those ones around here but they seem about the same size as the Novas so I'm not sure how they hold an extra 12 people though.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 27 August 2018 - 01:27 PM.

#6019 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:35 PM

So essentially a slightly smaller double decker? Those seem to hold ~80 passengers (although that's the minimum listed). If it's out in Langford I guess it will mostly be on 50/61/65 routes.

Not a double decker.  The Xcelsior product family are all single-deck busses.  The XN40 Xcelsior heavy duty busses they have currently are the single-deck busses with the really thick roofs (canopies?).  

• Cats4Hire and BCTransitLTC like this

#6020 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:27 AM

There's a picture of the new electric bus on the website if anyone's curious https://bctransit.co...d=1403650694811

• BCTransitLTC likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users