BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6041 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:17 PM

It's a problem that has plagued the system since the dawn of time. But at least now they're a little more pro-active when it comes to cancellations. Back when I rode the bus there would be two or three #14's that simply never showed and calling the transit line would get you about as far as standing around at the bus stop.

I sometimes wonder if the schedule is merely a reflection of that year's budget and a visual reference of as schedule that can never be fulfilled.

Ah yes the infamous "# 14 ghost bus"; I take that bus to work any day the wife doesn't want to drop me at the office. Its convenient - a two block walk in the morning and literally a < 50 meter walk from the office on the return trip - when it shows.

Your comment re: the schedule is interesting as it does make one wonder sometimes. I also wonder what criteria are applied to the two-decker buses in terms of which routes they ply: the return # 14 all summer was a double plank then as of September its reverted to a regular bus in spite of the fact the route is heavily utilized and those buses are always packed AM & PM.

#6042 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

I’ve played around with Nanaimo’s system and it’s functional, for sure, but it’s also lacking an app environment that could make it so, so much better for mobile users.

Or am I simply not finding the mobile app?

There is no mobile app for BC Transit's "Smart buses". I have suggested it, but they don't really seem to listen. Edmonton AB seems to have a better system. 

#6043 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

I've noticed pretty much daily been there's trip cancellations. Are BC Transit short on drivers or something? https://bctransit.co...d=1403650754605

There are not enough operators to actually cover the paddles (work-load) that have been created. BC Transit is 20 drivers short, so the spareboard operators have to cover the work that they don't have enough drivers for.

#6044 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

There is no excuse to be short drivers, considering the compensation they get.

#6045 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

Sorry to make a new post 

FYI - 

If anybody was missing their bus on Friday afternoon/evening, it could have been due to the Sooke accident. There were plenty of double deckers and low-floor buses just sitting in traffic trying to finish their paddles out to Sooke. After 5pm, buses were told to just head to Langford Exchange and finish their route, but ALL Sooke buses between 1:30 to 5pm were told to head out to 17 Mile and basically sit. 

I was not driving a Sooke bus that day, but I did hear stories from other operators stating they were basically sitting in traffic for many hours. 

#6046 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

There is no excuse to be short drivers, considering the compensation they get.

It's hard for BC Transit to keep operators since they're one of the lowest paid transit agencies in Canada. The majority of people apply at BC Transit, get hired, get their Class 2 license, and apply at another place that pays more. Over in Alberta, they pay $6/hour more to drive a bus and get more benefits and sick time. I believe TransLink pays their operators a little more than BC Transit does as well. 

#6047 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:01 AM

I have a friend who will be on his third attempt to get hired. He’s a great person, jovial, a good driver, etc. The only thing that’s keepimg him back potentially is an accent but his command of the language is good.

What gives? There are guys trying to get on but they’re not being hired.
  • BCTransitLTC likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6048 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:00 AM

I'm not sure if this has changed but if you don't make it they also don't say why. My aunt used to drive school buses and wanted to switch to public transit, applied, made it a few rounds and suddenly they stopped calling back. When she asked they told her to apply again but gave no feedback and why she had to. She gave up and now works for the provincial government.

#6049 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:23 AM

^ I know a couple stories like that as well. Perhaps pay isn't as good as it could be, it its good enough to get plenty of applications. Again, there is no excuse to be short drivers.

#6050 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

I think they might have issues finding people due to what I posted and the issues of early morning/late night shifts. If someone has kids they can't exactly get childcare early enough that allows them to get to the Langford dispatch and out to Sooke for an early 61 route. Or finding childcare to allow them to drive routes that end at midnight or later forcing them to only be able to work during the day (maybe 8AM-6PM) which I imagine Transit has some kind of seniority when it comes to hours and those would be the most popular.

I stand by they should have not introduced route 9 if they're having driver issues. They could have just made it 8A and ignored Hillside since that's serviced enough. I haven't seen a ton of 9s but they're always basically empty no matter where I am.

#6051 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

Right, on both occasions my friend was never told why he was rejected. His last attempt was also bewildering in that the man conducting the interviews had been terminated by BC Transit and was working his last shift ...while deciding whether or not to accept my friend's application.

Why would they even put that decision-making authority on the lap of a man who is walking from the job that day? It didn't make any sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6052 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:20 PM

Aren't these the same trips being cancelled everyday? Why not just officially cancel them at this point? By this point if I was taking any of them I'd probably just adjust to the previous trip https://bctransit.co...d=1403650879890

#6053 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

There's a local Transit plan survey on Sooke, Broadmead/Cardova Bay and Esquimalt/View Royal https://form.simples...dc-9f2aa1d55af3

Information on what their goals are for each of the areas as well as meeting times https://bctransit.co...project-updates

#6054 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

Actually here's their considerations for each area:

Sooke:

• Identify opportunities for new transit serving local travel needs within the Sooke area and improving connections to regional-scale transit service
  • Identify route alignments to provide coverage to Sooke neighbourhoods currently without transit service
  • Prioritize the development and improvement of new transit routes over the short and medium terms.
  • Identify the infrastructure needed to support both transit passengers and future transit operations

Cardova Bay/Broadmead:

• Streamline routing on high ridership routes
  • More direct service between neighbourhoods and key destinations
  • More local coverage in residential areas

View Royal/Esquimalt

• Establish a new transit hub to provide better transfer opportunities and support future changes to the transit network
  •  Identify future neighbourhood service and infrastructure improvement priorities

#6055 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:54 PM

The Nova buses (9400s and up) are starting to have the screens installed for the "next ride" system. Not operational yet however. Seen it already on 9436 and 9458. 

Attached Images

• 9458.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#6056 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:35 PM

So will that just show what the next stop is (Like say Douglas at Finlayson) or will it say things like "Douglas at Finlayson, Mayfair Mall" for stops with major destinations? 

#6057 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:50 PM

So will that just show what the next stop is (Like say Douglas at Finlayson) or will it say things like "Douglas at Finlayson, Mayfair Mall" for stops with major destinations? 

That would be up to whoever programs it. In Vancouver, the stop names are generally consistent across all platforms, ex. rider guide, digital display, and Google maps

#6058 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Just to clarify, the screen is mounted but not hooked up. 

It's also not in every Nova; I drove 9334 today and it didn't have the screen. 

#6059 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:38 PM

Next stop...Tent City...please take all your rubbish with you.

#6060 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:44 PM

Took transit in Vancouver this weekend for the first time in a while, and man oh man being able to tap my credit card across the system to pay my fare was a miracle!

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users