Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6081 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:12 AM

Google Maps lists a new southbound Carey at Ravine stop with the 30, 31, 32, 70, 71 stopping there. I assume the 72 and 75 will as well it's just not updated. Seems weird to pull the Peninsula buses to Douglas that soon. https://www.google.c...5307,600m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6caf6fb42ad0063e!8m2!3d48.456183!4d-123.377515?hl=en-US. The northbound stop also added the 32, 70 and 71. Douglas and Saanich has them listed Northbound but not southbound (nor the 30 and 31). Douglas and Cloverdale (both directions) have all of them added (including the 72 and 75). 

the 72 and 75 seem to use Saanich instead (similar to how the 30/31 used to turn right on Saanich then to Blanshard as well as how they currently turn onto Saanich to Douglas). I guess they thought Carey would be too busy putting them all up there? I wonder why they didn't put the 70 and 71 going up Saanich and 75 on Carey just to have they Swartz Bay buses have the same route until Royal Oak and then the 75 be similar to the 30/31 for when they're combined. 

Also I don't see anything different around Burnside/Tillicum or Jubilee so I assume those changes (if there are any) aren't happening yet.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 25 November 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#6082 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:43 AM

the 72 and 75 seem to use Saanich instead (similar to how the 30/31 used to turn right on Saanich then to Blanshard as well as how they currently turn onto Saanich to Douglas). I guess they thought Carey would be too busy putting them all up there? I wonder why they didn't put the 70 and 71 going up Saanich and 75 on Carey just to have they Swartz Bay buses have the same route until Royal Oak and then the 75 be similar to the 30/31 for when they're combined.

Also I don't see anything different around Burnside/Tillicum or Jubilee so I assume those changes (if there are any) aren't happening yet.

#6083 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:45 AM

The data is already in the system for the new schedules taking effect January 2nd. I guess that's why the routes are listed for Carey and Ravine even though they have no scheduled departures from those locations for another five + weeks. That won't confuse anyone now will it! 🙃

#6084 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:07 PM

The data is already in the system for the new schedules taking effect January 2nd. I guess that's why the routes are listed for Carey and Ravine even though they have no scheduled departures from those locations for another five + weeks. That won't confuse anyone now will it!

yeah I wish BC Transit would make announcements related to rerouting and new routes before Google pushes them out. While Google only shows trips leaving within the next 24 hours it can still be confusing. If you look back previous pages I was able to figure out the 9, 46, 65 and 39 reroute all before they were officially shown because of Google Maps. (I guess they had talked about the 9 pretty extensively before as a Hillside/Gorge bus linking Royal Oak and Uvic but still)

#6085 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

Ah the most fun week of the year when Camosun is still fully operating but Uvic is on exams so the buses switched to a a lesser schedule for all post secondary routes. Never been on a 21 that left people behind before so yay new experience?

#6086 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:11 AM

^Totally understandable problem. Co-ordinating transit schedules with UVic and Camosun calendars is challenging and it takes upward OF A HALF CENTURY to figure it out.

#6087 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

^Totally understandable problem. Co-ordinating transit schedules with UVic and Camosun calendars is challenging and it takes upward OF A HALF CENTURY to figure it out.

I get it. No point in having 12s and 16s run empty this week and changing just the UVic only stuff this week and the Camosun stuff next week (including 4, 7, 9, 14, 15, 39) would just be confusing.

I don't get why Uvic has two less weeks of class than Camosun though (they have reading break in both semesters while we only get it in February and they end a week earlier despite both starting at the same time)

#6088 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:20 AM

I get it. No point in having 12s and 16s run empty this week and changing just the UVic only stuff this week and the Camosun stuff next week (including 4, 7, 9, 14, 15, 39) would just be confusing.

I don't get why Uvic has two less weeks of class than Camosun though (they have reading break in both semesters while we only get it in February and they end a week earlier despite both starting at the same time)

Camosun classes are typicly 4 hours per week and run for 14 weeks, while UVic's are 3 per week and run for 13 weeks. A Camosun student gets an extra 17 hours of instruction per course.

Edited by Mattjvd, 03 December 2018 - 09:20 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6089 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:22 AM

Look, I understand you don't want to make the schedule any more complicated than it actually is but would it kill them to throw an extra unannounced bus at rush hour to pick up the slack. It doesn't even have to be listed in the schedule. The bus stops, the kid gets in and says I don't understand, are you five minutes early of five minutes late and the driver says, don't ask questions just get in. This problem happens every year like clockwork.

• tedward and Greg like this

#6090 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:16 PM

Look, I understand you don't want to make the schedule any more complicated than it actually is but would it kill them to throw an extra unannounced bus at rush hour to pick up the slack. It doesn't even have to be listed in the schedule. The bus stops, the kid gets in and says I don't understand, are you five minutes early of five minutes late and the driver says, don't ask questions just get in. This problem happens every year like clockwork.

I wish they'd do that in general for days that could be busy. First week of school, Canada Day, Symphony of Splash, etc. Just add some extra unscheduled buses.

#6091 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:18 PM

Glad I don't ride the bus anymore.

#6092 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:37 PM

If BC Transit had any more buses to put into service at rush hour they would. They are maxed out at rush hour with no possible way to put additional unscheduled service on the road.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#6093 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

They're not maxed out when they're at a reduced exam schedule - on busses.

However, I'm pretty sure they plan to max out their driver/funding hours across the year, so simply don't have the budget room to assign additional runs.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#6094 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

If BC Transit had any more buses to put into service at rush hour they would. They are maxed out at rush hour with no possible way to put additional unscheduled service on the road.

but they just cut those 4s running every 5 minutes from TC, the 11s, 14s, 15s that start downtown, there's less 16s and 51s during rush, etc. How can they not use some of the resources for those this week to help service Camosun?

The December schedule is a new thing isn't it? Like started 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure the first year I was at Camosun I was riding 4s to my exams at 8:30 AM that started at TC.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 03 December 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#6095 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

Ah the most fun week of the year when Camosun is still fully operating but Uvic is on exams so the buses switched to a a lesser schedule for all post secondary routes. Never been on a 21 that left people behind before so yay new experience?

Except that UVic is still in session this week until Wednesday... 

I was really confused when I came from class today to signs saying that the holiday schedule has already begun despite class still being in session three days this week. Hordes of people were left behind when the double decker 26 finally arrived, though I guess that is pretty typical at 2:30 leaving UVic anyways.

Edited by Brantastic, 03 December 2018 - 03:07 PM.

#6096 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

Except that UVic is still in session this week until Wednesday... 

I was really confused when I came from class today to signs saying that the holiday schedule has already begun despite class still being in session three days this week. Hordes of people were left behind when the double decker 26 finally arrived, though I guess that is pretty typical at 2:30 leaving UVic anyways.

Wow they really should have just waited a week then.

#6097 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:25 PM

Wow they really should have just waited a week then.

Absolutely. This is the underlying problem - reduced schedule starts one week early.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

#6098 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:23 AM

I know schedule changes happen on a Monday, but is there a particular reason for it? I understand not wanting to run empty buses but if the UVic calendar has classes ending on Wednesday, signalling a change to ridership numbers, then a regular schedule should be run until Wednesday.

I was on a double decked 4 for my 8:30am class yesterday. We filled up before Cook, and no new passengers were taken on until a significant number of people alighted at Landsdowne school.

#6099 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:11 AM

I know schedule changes happen on a Monday, but is there a particular reason for it? I understand not wanting to run empty buses but if the UVic calendar has classes ending on Wednesday, signalling a change to ridership numbers, then a regular schedule should be run until Wednesday.

I was on a double decked 4 for my 8:30am class yesterday. We filled up before Cook, and no new passengers were taken on until a significant number of people alighted at Landsdowne school.

I agree they started way too early. Camosun is still normal schedule for the rest of the week and yesterday I was on a 21 that was leaving people behind. Today I was on a double decker 4 to Lansdowne and it was pretty much full (although not quite and we didn't leave anyone behind)

#6100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:39 AM

The northbound BC Transit Douglas Street bus lane has now been extended between Tolmie and Tillicum. The Ministry of Transportation estimates time savings for commuters using transit will be about 10 minutes.

• thundergun and Brantastic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users