Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9597 replies to this topic

#6141 Intercontinental

Intercontinental
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:20 AM

this crosstown wouldn't add that much though. Direct connection with Dokyard/Mckenzie/Uvic to Admirals Walk and a couple other places and anyone who lives on Admirals is it. The 51 already runs the entire Mckenzie it's just limited to peak hours but if people living along there were demanding it I'm sure they could just make it run all day instead of a new route.
If you're transferring from one frequent route to another I don't see the issue though. If you do miss the other bus it's like 10-15 minutes to wait. I also don't want every stop having like 10 routes because people can't transfer and need direct routes everywhere.

Anyone who drives within the core or west shore will *complete* most trips in 15 minutes, so, transferring buses and waiting up to 15 minutes in addition to the time of being on two buses is NOT going to convince people to leave their car at home, or stop them from wanting a car if they don’t have one. More route choices is good.

I just checked some friends’ address who live near Carey (west but walking distance to McKenzie). He’s at DND and they have a kid in high school. The base is a 15 minute drive, transit is 45 minutes. Uvic is 11 minutes drive, and 40 to 50 minutes by transit.

We have a continuous street that 1) connects the two 2) passes by some big shopping/work areas and 3) would connect with any other route that crosses McKenzie or Admirals. Seems like a win -

#6142 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

Anyone who drives within the core or west shore will *complete* most trips in 15 minutes, so, transferring buses and waiting up to 15 minutes in addition to the time of being on two buses is NOT going to convince people to leave their car at home, or stop them from wanting a car if they don’t have one. More route choices is good.

I just checked some friends’ address who live near Carey (west but walking distance to McKenzie). He’s at DND and they have a kid in high school. The base is a 15 minute drive, transit is 45 minutes. Uvic is 11 minutes drive, and 40 to 50 minutes by transit.

We have a continuous street that 1) connects the two 2) passes by some big shopping/work areas and 3) would connect with any other route that crosses McKenzie or Admirals. Seems like a win -

That wasn't really my argument though. What I was saying was instead of prioritizing crosstown routes that add no additional service areas they should prioritize giving areas with no service requiring residents there to drive even if they would take the bus, or walk long distances. Areas like most of Sooke for example. If what people want is a route from one end of McKenzie to the other why not just make the 51 run more?

#6143 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:22 PM

I would like to see a route that connects the Shelbourne corridor to Douglas corridor, especially considering those two are supposed to be the primary targets for densification outside downtown. Say start at UVic, west on McKenzie, south on Shelbourne, west on Hillside, north on Douglas, ending at Uptown. The entire east half of the core is poorly connected to Uptown/Mayfair (save for McKenzie connecting to Uptown), and the Douglas corridor is poorly connected to UVic. Shelbourne surprisingly has no routes that go to Uvic either. It would also connect the core’s four major shopping centres (Uptown, Mayfair, Hillside, and the soon-to-be remodeled University Heights).

Edited by Brantastic, 22 December 2018 - 02:26 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#6144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,289 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:35 AM

not sure why they need to cost $50k each but the concept is sound.  i think you might want to angle the roof a bit more.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...4959060?cmp=rss

UBC students want to build and study effectiveness of 'tree canopy' bus shelters

Bus shelters one more step towards tackling climate change, students say

canopy-bus-shelters-20181225.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 December 2018 - 07:37 AM.

#6145 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

So apparently bus passengers getting wet while it is rainy and windy will have a positive effect on climate change.

#6146 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,289 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:49 AM

well maybe disregard the climate stuff but the fact is some bus shelters around town are so disgusting who wants to stand in them.  on the other hand some in downtown langford are interesting and welcoming.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 December 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#6147 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:04 AM

Speaking of bus shelters, the intersection upgrades at Quadra and McKenzie were supposed to include a new, larger bus shelter, but I'm still waiting... They took out the old one and never put in a new one despite construction wrapping up in September. Did they just forget?

#6148 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

Speaking of bus shelters, the intersection upgrades at Quadra and McKenzie were supposed to include a new, larger bus shelter, but I'm still waiting... They took out the old one and never put in a new one despite construction wrapping up in September. Did they just forget?

When they put a bunch in around Royal Oak and Gordon Head areas about a year ago they took forever. They drilled the holes and had those coned off for months then suddenly they just all popped up. It might be a bit still.

#6149 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:35 PM

Still coming apparently, they just finished Douglas (I think).
  • Brantastic likes this

#6150 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:45 PM

Ha! Finished Douglas? Downtown still ghetto!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6151 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:13 PM

So apparently bus passengers getting wet while it is rainy and windy will have a positive effect on climate change.

Might be merely going a step beyond the newer semi-open earlier shelter designs (which I've been told by the City are used for security reasons, as it's harder to "trap" you in the bus shelter when it's very open and drafty).

jbw

#6152 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

not sure why they need to cost $50k each but the concept is sound.  i think you might want to angle the roof a bit more.

$500 for materials. $49.5K to UBC to cover administrative costs for overseeing the project and students. Obviously you don't know how the funding process works :-)

Edited by spanky123, 27 December 2018 - 03:32 PM.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#6153 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

Might be merely going a step beyond the newer semi-open earlier shelter designs (which I've been told by the City are used for security reasons, as it's harder to "trap" you in the bus shelter when it's very open and drafty).

jbw

Seems to somewhat defeat the point of a shelter, though, when it doesn't really shelter you from anything except when the rain happens to be falling straight down.

Provides a bit of shade in the summer, I suppose...

• Nparker likes this

#6154 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

Does anyone know what that bumpy yellow stuff on some bus stops is? Before I only saw them at the UVic exchange so I assumed it was just some weird thing they thought would work when they did redid it but the north Douglas/Cloverdale as it too now and yesterday when heading to my uncle's in Sooke I noticed most of the stops along Sooke road had them too.

#6155 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

Does anyone know what that bumpy yellow stuff on some bus stops is? Before I only saw them at the UVic exchange so I assumed it was just some weird thing they thought would work when they did redid it but the north Douglas/Cloverdale as it too now and yesterday when heading to my uncle's in Sooke I noticed most of the stops along Sooke road had them too.

Bumpy yellow stuff in a square? Those are truncated domes for non-sighted people.

#6156 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:17 AM

Bumpy yellow stuff in a square? Those are truncated domes for non-sighted people.

That would make sense for the UVic ones since they're right at where the bus door is and most the stops only have one bus but for Douglas/Cloverdale and Sooke the whole stop has a strip of it. I guess it could be to help them know where the stop ends and not walk into the road but then shouldn't it line all the sidewalks not just a few bus stops?

#6157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

Or step out onto a bi-directional bike lane!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6158 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

Or step out onto a bi-directional bike lane!

I thought the bumpy bits (yellow or otherwise, eg. metal on several downtown pedestrian areas leading to crosswalks) were to alert the blind that they were transitioning between road and sidewalk (dealing with the slope vs abrupt curb is not definitive at times). An experiment in progress, last I heard. jbw

#6159 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

Ah the most fun week of the year when Camosun is still fully operating but Uvic is on exams so the buses switched to a a lesser schedule for all post secondary routes. Never been on a 21 that left people behind before so yay new experience?

You know what makes this even worse? The service change on January 2 reinstated UVic routes to regular service. Neither Camosun nor UVic start full sessions until the 7th meaning the 2, 3, 4 there's been UVic/Camosun buses running pretty much, if not actually, empty. What made me realize is I had to go somewhere along Hillside today and got on a 4 at TC with basically no one on it and another 4 caught us with actually no one on it. How about for 2019 they started the December reduction a week later and make up for it by pushing back the January service change? Seems like it would basically solve the problems to me. 

• Nparker, tedward and grantpalin like this

#6160 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

I was on a 4 today that seemed to have different audio announcements.  Instead of naming the upcoming cross road for every cross street, it would announce "Next stop: Hillside at Quadra" and so forth.  I much prefer that, over the old "University double-you-dee-ess"  that annoyed the dickens out of me. (because really, is expanding 'wds' to 'woods' really that far beyond the capabilities of the software?)  I'm assuming this is in preparation for the real-time bus tracking.

The only thing that I didn't like was the constant announcement of "Four Downtown" each time the driver started to open the door.  I can see how it would be useful for reassuring passengers that they're on the right bus, similar to subway trains, but there are far more bus stops on a bus route than subway stations on a subway line.  It gets repetitive when the same announcement plays again within a minute of the last.

• Nparker and RFS like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users