Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6201 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

Holy smokes, never would have thought to consider that.

Matt, are you colour blind or could this be an issue of an improperly calibrated screen?

Green - red colour blind, all of the dots look identical to me. With Kenmuir's summary and the article, I think I have a good understanding of which are which. 

We're considering a move to the Royal Bay area, so it's great to see more transit options in the plans.

#6202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

Ok, gotcha! 

The dots are brown (1-7) and red-orange (1-5). I'll try to be more cognizant of this moving forward, Matt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6203 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

Ok, gotcha! 

The dots are brown (1-7) and red-orange (1-5). I'll try to be more cognizant of this moving forward, Matt.

That's kind of you, Mike. I appreciate it

#6204 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

Green - red colour blind, all of the dots look identical to me. With Kenmuir's summary and the article, I think I have a good understanding of which are which. 

We're considering a move to the Royal Bay area, so it's great to see more transit options in the plans.

There is a cure for that problem if you're interested.

https://colormax.org...olor-blindness/

• Mattjvd likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6205 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

Translink has had the new interior call out signs on their buses for several years now. I noticed it here on the #6 going into town today.

#6206 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

The technology isn't implemented correctly. The idea is that this is only broadcast over the loudspeaker over the front door, for anyone to hear that's at the bus stop. If you've taken Translink you'll hear how this sounds.

Is it possible that our busses in Victoria don't have these speakers, so it has to be broadcast throughout the whole bus?

Maybe something that will be fixed as new busses get added to the fleet and they can be ordered with that option.

Since they already had to install the new LCD marquee panels and a new operator's console, I would have thought that an external speaker would be included in the upgrade package.  

One thing that I've noticed: when a driver changeover is scheduled, the system automatically changes the route display to "not in service".  I've had to ask a few drivers which route they were operating, since there were passengers on board so they weren't really out of service.  Last night, a fresh operator didn't realize that their vehicle had arrived until the existing driver called out.  I imagine as roll out continues that the kinks will be worked out, but for now, it's a humorous-but-mildly-annoying quirk.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6207 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

I think that's related to the thing about the driver's having to "sign in" (that's mentioned in one of the press releases or FAQs I'll try and find it when I'm home) so when they sign out it just goes to "not in service". It's the same tech they're using in Nanaimo and Comox right? I'm surprised they haven't fixed that issue then (unless those regions don't do midroute driver switches?)

#6208 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

Since street names seem to be improved with the new speaker I was surprised "Camosun" was even more butchered than it used to be (it took a while for me to be on a 4 towards UVic with it on). I also saw an 11 heading to Tillicum Mall but the the sign on the side said "39 UVic via Royal Oak". Since it was alternating the sign wasn't just frozen but I've never seen the two signs disagree like that before.

#6209 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

Weird. I haven't noticed any names butchered yet. Riding the 26, Gabriola Rd is no longer "Guh-bree-ull-uh", Cedarwood is no longer "Said-er-wood", Long Gun Pl is no longer "Long Gun Pee Elle", and Oakwinds no longer rhymes with Oak grinds. 

• Nparker likes this

#6210 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

Let me know when the system consistently and accurately names Highway 17. Last time I rode the bus out to the ferry I couldn't believe how many different ways the name was butchered.

• tedward likes this

#6211 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

It seems the speaker isn't even consistent. I was on a 21 that ended at Camosun and pronounced it properly except it paused between each syllable so it was "Kuh.Mo.Sun". I didn't take it all the way to the campus to know how it pronounced it at the stop itself just heard the "21. Interurban to Camosun only" when the door opened. 

#6212 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

One thing I'd appreciate about the new system is if it changed the route name when certain aspects of the route are no longer relevant information for people boarding the bus. For example, when you board the 6 at Cloverdale, heading southbound to downtown, it should say "Downtown via Quadra", but instead says "Downtown via Chatterton". Who cares that Chatterton was how the bus got to where it is now? 

I mean, I really don't care that much, it's just a minor gripe. Still weird though.

• Nparker and tedward like this

#6213 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:28 PM

I also think they should change some of the stop names to name the major street it's near opposed to some random street the stop happens to be closer to. For example both directions the 30 says "Carey at McKenzie" but south 31 is "Glanford at Jolly" and north is "Glanford at Melba". I'm sure more people could tell you were "Glanford and McKenzie" is than either of those. Another one is the last stop heading downtown on Hillside is "Hillside at Ross". Ross isn't even on that side of the road and has barely anything on it. "Hillside at Douglas" would be infinitely more helpful (the other direction actually is "Hillside at Douglas" despite being closer to Ross).

Weirdly they do that kinda in some places. Douglas/Field says "Douglas at Field (Bay St.)"

Edited by Cats4Hire, 07 February 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#6214 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

And typically on this potential difficult transit day, BC Transit's webpage is not loading to show the current service alerts.

I wish they would use their Facebook or Twitter feeds!

#6215 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

^^Just be grateful it's not like the Paris Metro. Yeah, just get on the 2 at Victor Hugo and transfer to the 1 and get off at Franklin D. Roosevelt.

#6216 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

And typically on this potential difficult transit day, BC Transit's webpage is not loading to show the current service alerts.

I wish they would use their Facebook or Twitter feeds!

They are, most recent updates

(6 is back to regular route)

https://twitter.com/...981511030718464

https://twitter.com/...981786495827968

https://twitter.com/...981949004210176

Basically 22 are all 22As, 21 skipping Viaduct loop, a bunch of westshroe routes cancelled/detoured, 83 not doing Quayle/Beaver

#6217 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

BC Transit is down again. I guess their servers have performance anxiety and go down whenever people might actually want to access the site.

#6218 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:55 PM

Detour update (series of 4 Tweets) Not sure why they listed the 11 when it's on regular route or 6B when it doesn't run on Sunday https://twitter.com/...773167619420160

#6219 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

Another update, interesting the 30/31 heading south are using the PatBay after McKenzie but not skipping that section heading north https://twitter.com/...788204429946880

https://twitter.com/...797596713861120

Edited by Cats4Hire, 10 February 2019 - 07:28 PM.

#6220 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:35 AM

BC Transit official on CBC radio apologizing for the website being down, says a third-party contractor will be investigated.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users