Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9597 replies to this topic

#6261 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

I assume it's awkward and they want it quicker? Also they might be trying to split the people between the 11 and 18 or schedule the 11 to be able to have double deckers (not sure if they would work on Obed/Cowper though). Another question I have is what happens to the 13? The route would be fairly redundant with how the 11 and 18 are proposed to work so would they get rid of it? If so why not just call the 18 a rerouted 13?

#6262 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

Because it’s unlucky to change a route numbered 13.

#6263 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:57 PM

With the expansion of the 24/25, why does the 11 even need to go Gorge/Admirals/Obed any longer?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6264 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

With the expansion of the 24/25, why does the 11 even need to go Gorge/Admirals/Obed any longer?

I was wondering that too. Perhaps it wouldn't? Maybe something to bring up in the survey or at a workshop if anyone plans on going

#6265 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

^I suggested it in my answers
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6266 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:33 AM

The feds and the province will be making a transit-related funding announcement today on the steps of the Legislature at 12:30.

Stay tuned.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

Here we go:

New southbound bus-only lane to ease commutes for residents of Greater Victoria

News release

Saanich, British Columbia, March 6, 2019—Investing in efficient public transit infrastructure is essential to creating livable sustainable communities where people spend less time in traffic and more time with their families.

Today, the Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility, on behalf of the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Claire Trevena, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure for B.C., announced funding for the construction of a new southbound bus-only lane along the Highway 1/Douglas Street corridor in Saanich. 

The new lane will provide exclusive access for buses between the Burnside Bridges and Tolmie Avenue. Once complete, this lane will complement the northbound bus-only lane that was funded through the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund and completed in December 2018, establishing a system of continuous bus lanes in both directions along Highway 1/Douglas Street, between the McKenzie interchange and downtown Victoria.

This new lane will significantly reduce transit times and improve commutes while increasing passenger safety and reducing harmful emissions resulting from gridlock.

The Government of Canada is providing $4,920,000 to this project through the Investing in Canada infrastructure program while the Government of British Columbia is providing $11,080,000.

Quotes

“Investing in public transit infrastructure is vital to keeping pace with the changing needs of residents and getting them where they need to go more easily. This new southbound bus lane will significantly improve travel times and ease congestion along this busy corridor while supporting the growth and development of the city’s public transit network in the years to come.”

The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility, on behalf of the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities

“This new southbound bus lane is another step towards getting people moving more efficiently along the Highway 1/Douglas Street corridor. Not only will it save time for people taking transit, but it will help reduce congestion for people driving by moving buses from the travelling lanes.”

The Honourable Claire Trevena, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure for B.C.

“We are so grateful to be working as partners with all levels of government to build on the momentum of the recent northbound priority bus lanes project along Highway 1, as well as the southbound Douglas Street lanes. Each of these projects is contributing to our overall goal of bringing our customers in and out of the West Shore more efficiently.”

Susan Brice, Chair, Victoria Regional Transit Commission

Quick facts

Through the Investing in Canada infrastructure plan, the Government of Canada is investing more than $180 billion over 12 years in public transit projects, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, trade and transportation routes, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.

$28.7 billion of this funding is supporting public transit projects, including $5 billion available for investment through the Canada Infrastructure Bank.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6268 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

The new lane will provide exclusive access for buses between the Burnside Bridges and Tolmie Avenue. Once complete, this lane will complement the northbound bus-only lane that was funded through the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund and completed in December 2018, establishing a system of continuous bus lanes in both directions along Highway 1/Douglas Street, between the McKenzie interchange and downtown Victoria.

Unless the McKenzie interchange runs all the way to Tillicum not sure those two locations are interchangeable like that.

#6269 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

This should come as no surprise, and I'm glad to hear it. However, I'm curious of how exactly they'll fit another lane with Battleford Rd running right along the highway with essentially no space between them. 

#6270 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

Road diet?  Eliminate the shoulder, reduce the width of the divider to a sound fence and shrink Battleford, perhaps to a one-way street?

Yeah, I'm also curious.

#6271 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:47 AM

Improvements such as the northbound bus-only lanes that are already completed have so improved service that ridership between West Shore and downtown has gone up 35 to 45 per cent, she said.

https://www.timescol...oria-1.23655707

That’s almost hard to believe.

#6272 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:57 AM

battleford is very well-suited to just become a one-way.  the homeowners there will appreciate the new concrete sound fence.

and merges for the bus at the burnside bridges is pretty easy. 

it makes you wonder why all this was not done 25 years ago.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2019 - 04:59 AM.

#6273 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:22 AM

I asked that of the project manager a year ago or so.  There is room by just pushing the median barriers towards the goose now, in that section.  They're not using Battleford for buses.

#6274 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:25 AM

I asked that of the project manager a year ago or so.  There is room by just pushing the median barriers towards the goose now, in that section.  They're not using Battleford for buses.

is there some engineering presumption that a bus lane also requires less shoulder than a regular car lane?

#6275 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:41 AM

The bus lane northbound seems wider than the car lanes. Is that actually the case?

Know it all.

#6276 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

so if the bus lanes prove wildly fast and also kind of empty will politicians ever see fit to allow them to also be carpool lanes (for 3+ passengers just uptown to colwood interchange).  or would that be giving up a battle to cars?  also this would not work until the burnside bridges are fixed.

#6277 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

3+ is not worth the cost of new signage, I don't think.

Know it all.

#6278 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

The announcement indicates that there will be continuous bus lanes between the McKenzie interchange and downtown Victoria, but the Burnside overpass currently prevents that.

Is a widening of that bridge included as part of this announcement, or is that just a goof in the release?

#6279 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

Burnside to Mckenzie the bus will be able to use the shoulder.

See the map on the TC article:

https://www.timescol...oria-1.23655707

#6280 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

^I get that, but the release says continuous bus lane. There is no shoulder to use on the Burnside bridges, so buses would have to merge back into the traffic lanes.

It's not a continuous bus lane if you have to merge back into traffic to cross a bridge.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)