BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6361 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:00 AM

Oslo's transit is also funded by aggressive road tolls, which will provide an estimated 9.5B CAD between 2008-2032, or 392M CAD per year. They spent over a billion Canadian dollars on new buses and bus infrastructure in 2016. That's not including operational spending or new ferry, train, and metro infrastructure. Norway has a goal of zero car growth, so a huge portion of infrastructure investment goes to transit, cycling, and walking.

Meanwhile, BC Transit's capital expenditures are between $100M-150M per year.

#6362 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

^ and that's for all of BC (excluding Translink's area), not just the CRD.

Edited by lanforod, 23 April 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#6363 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:15 AM

Rather than emulating fake car bans in Oslo, perhaps new BC Transit board member Lisa Helps can look into bringing our techno and service into 2011.

All it took was for them to fully exploit their oil and natural gas resources and build a massive sovereign wealth fund. 

We can't even agree that natural gas is cleaner than coal.

• Matt R. and Bob Fugger like this

#6364 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:41 AM

I'm curious how they force buses to not be early. Treat every stop as a timing point? I do wish here drivers actually stopped and waited and them more often. I have never been on a 30/31 that stops and waits at their respective timing points between Royal Oak and Uptown in either direction no matter how early we are.

#6365 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

You'll have to talk to Mike about that.  They were all right-side-up when I uploaded them.

ITS COMING IN THE UPDATE!!1!!

Matt.
  • Nparker, jonny and lanforod like this

#6366 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

I'm curious how they force buses to not be early. 

This would never happen in our BC union environment when in the eyes of the unions literally nothing is ever the fault of their brothers and sisters. 

Edited by jonny, 23 April 2019 - 11:00 AM.

#6367 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:07 AM

I suspect that bus drivers in Norway are likely unionized as well.

#6368 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

I suspect that bus drivers in Norway are likely unionized as well.

Do BC union workers receive fines and disciplinary action for doing their jobs poorly (and no, suspending with pay is not disciplinary action)?

Just saying, I don't see that sort of thing working over here. 

#6369 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

Oslo is no example to look to, Bob.

https://www.fastcomp...ically-car-free

#6370 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:21 PM

I'm curious how they force buses to not be early. Treat every stop as a timing point? 

Right?!? I am way more annoyed watching a bus leave early as I run for it than waiting an extra minute for a late bus.

As for how? Yeah, once the whole thing is on the GPS and programmed in the computer can tell if the bus leaves any stop early or late. Pretty simple to provide a signal that says, "OK, you can leave now" to the driver or at least give them feedback that they are over or under the scheduled time.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#6371 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

As for how? Yeah, once the whole thing is on the GPS and programmed in the computer can tell if the bus leaves any stop early or late. Pretty simple to provide a signal that says, "OK, you can leave now" to the driver or at least give them feedback that they are over or under the scheduled time.

Sure but here people already hate being behind buses, imagine if instead of being forced to stop for 10 seconds they're forced to stop and wait for 1-2 minutes. I just don't see that going over well.

#6372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:45 PM

Press release from the Min of Tran:

A study to determine long-term solutions for getting people moving more efficiently throughout south Vancouver Island is underway.

"I know people are frustrated with congestion and we want to find solutions that will get people moving,” said Claire Trevena, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. “I’m anticipating that this will lead to a comprehensive regional plan for all types of transportation.”

The South Island Transportation Plan will look to identify improvement options for transit, cycling, pedestrian movements, ferry services, rail and existing roads and the connections between them. The study area will go as far north as the Duncan area and as far west as the Sooke area. It will look at current transportation demands and develop a roadmap for future investments across all modes of travel.

Through an open bidding process, Urban Systems was selected to carry out the study. It will have one year to complete its work, which will include:

consolidating and updating, where required, previous transportation studies; developing a “transportation snapshot” on current conditions; updating, as necessary, the 2007 Malahat corridor study; and identifying specific transportation investment opportunities in the south Island region, providing multi-modal choices.
The South Island Transportation Plan will also include studying the feasibility of commuter rail along the E&N corridor. This information will help shape the discussion around the future of the E&N corridor on the south Island.

The CRD Regional Transportation Plan and the Victoria Transit Future Plan were built upon extensive public engagement that will be used to inform the South Island Transportation Plan. The ministry will work with Indigenous communities, regional governmens and transportation agencies, and stakeholder groups to plan for future investments in the region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6373 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

There's nothing quite as effective as yet another study to get transportation advanced in the CRD and nearby environs.

• spanky123 likes this

#6374 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

There's nothing quite as effective as yet another study to get transportation advanced in the CRD and nearby environs.

and then how about getting all these parties together to coordinate and implement a plan:

transit

, cycling,

pedestrian movements,

ferry services,

rail

and existing roads and the connections between them.

The study area will go as far north as the Duncan area and as far west as the Sooke area. 

#6375 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:54 AM

Isitt and Dubow are set to introduce a motion before council today calling for free transit services region-wide. The City's 2020 pilot program providing youth with free bus passes is seen as the first step towards a regional program that would eliminate fare collection at the fare box, but transfer that revenue source to property taxes.

Thumbs up to spanky123 for digging up the motion!

Victoria councillors propose free BC Transit services for all Capital Region residents

https://victoria.cit...gion-residents/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6376 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:04 AM

and CoV taxpayers are paying for the entire thing right?  Your motion CoV means you pay for it all!

#6377 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:09 AM

wow thanks CoV residents! Guess if the bus is just free we won't need to worry about updating pay methods

#6378 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

and CoV taxpayers are paying for the entire thing right?  Your motion CoV means you pay for it all!

They will try and transfer this to the CRD so that they can claim there is no impact to CoV property taxes! 

#6379 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:25 AM

I had to read the release twice. In addition to the South Island Transportation Plan study, the South Island Prosperity Project has spent $250K in taxpayer money developing a South Island Smart Mobility plan and is applying for a $10M grant (more taxpayer money) to implement it. So does this mean that we are going to have two different groups, both using taxpayer money, to study and implement different plans to try and solve the same problem?!

Edited by spanky123, 25 April 2019 - 07:25 AM.

#6380 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:39 AM

yes. the South Island prosperity project was born when the chamber knew it needed a different model to extract tax dollars.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users