Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6621 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

Seriously?  Saturdays typically average a little over $20k as on-street revenue (after GST has been removed, but not including other small expenses).  You can do that math on that one for the year.  When Staff reported it as being $1M I would think that is a good rounded amount.   You really believe City Staff could be told to report that Sundays would average around $40k?  C'mon that's frustrating...

Sundays estimate (it's not an easy estimation btw) with the lower Sunday rate that annual revenue would be around $600k.  This is around $12k per Sunday.  It is a little bit of a conservative estimate but paid parking on Sundays is an entirely unknown.  While others can certainly estimate more the reality will be what it is.

I don't disagree with you but the fact is that Mayor Helps is now saying that Sunday revenue will bring in up to $1M.  That number is almost 70% more than it was 2 months ago. Unless the Mayor is making numbers up out of thin air then I am assuming that someone on staff is providing them to her. 

Motion being presented next week at the COTW meeting to extend free passes to EVERYONE under the age of 19 in Victoria whether they are students are not. That will drive up costs (and perhaps estimated parking revenue) even further. Good strategic recovery here from TV. I doubt the others will vote against them on this.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=41353

Edited by spanky123, 14 June 2019 - 03:44 PM.

#6622 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

I don't disagree with you but the fact is that Mayor Helps is now saying that Sunday revenue will bring in up to $1M.  That number is almost 70% more than it was 2 months ago. Unless the Mayor is making numbers up out of thin air then I am assuming that someone on staff is providing them to her. 

Motion being presented next week at the COTW meeting to extend free passes to EVERYONE under the age of 19 in Victoria whether they are students are not. That will drive up costs (and perhaps estimated parking revenue) even further. Good strategic recovery here from TV. I doubt the others will vote against them on this.

MOTION:  In order to ensure that all youth have access to this service, including youth who may not be enrolled in a formal program of education or who are enrolled in alternate educational programs, it is recommended that Council provide direction to staff to ensure that all residents of the city who are under the age of 19 have access to a pass for fare-free public transit, to avoid the risk of discrimination against residents on the basis of socioeconomic status, immigration status or educational status.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2019 - 03:52 PM.

#6623 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

... avoid the risk of discrimination against residents on the basis of socioeconomic status, immigration status or educational status.

The logical end-game there is just free transit for everyone.

• newbie_01 likes this

#6624 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

The logical end-game there is just free transit for everyone.

So of course everyone will be using transit and there will be no parking revenue.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6625 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:33 PM

So of course everyone will be using transit and there will be no parking revenue.

You weren't supposed to point that out!

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#6626 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:34 AM

D'oh!

#6627 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:43 PM

I don't use my car very often as I can walk to work, but when I use it it's because I need to go to several different places and/or have a lot to carry. Even if I had a free bus pass, I would be using my car exactly the same amount as I am now. I may only use a bus if it snows.

• Nparker, sdwright.vic and Midnightly like this

#6628 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

I was more responding to the statement I quoted you saying where staff would be told to report the revenue would be $2M if the amount needed was $2M.  Couple other remarks you had made in that post were also inaccurate so I was attempting to correct those comments. 

Yes adding everyone under 19 would likely increases costs but again, wouldn't effect estimated revenue, unless a change was made in operations (rates etc.).

#6629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

MoT release:

Construction will begin this week on the southbound Douglas Street bus lane extension project.

Once complete, these priority bus lanes will create faster, easier commutes for people who live and work in the Greater Victoria area.

“Public transit infrastructure is vital to building strong, sustainable communities where all residents have access to essential services and opportunities, and businesses can thrive,” said François-Philippe Champagne, federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities. “Projects like the improved bus lanes in Greater Victoria. They lead to faster commute times for residents, helping them spend more time with their families and improving their quality of life.”

The extension will be from the south end of the Highway 1-Burnside Road overpass to Tolmie Avenue, a mirror of the northbound extension project completed in December 2018.

The southbound priority bus lane will complete the two-way corridor between Fisgard Street and the Highway 1-Burnside Road overpass. Priority bus lanes provide more reliable and timely service, as it will be easier for buses to remain on schedule along the corridor.

“Priority bus lanes help get people to where they want to go faster than in a car,” said Claire Trevena, B.C.'s Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. “We expect the two-way continuous corridor between Fisgard Road and the Highway 1-Burnside Road overpass will encourage more people to use transit and, in turn, help reduce congestion and greenhouse gas emissions.”

The southbound bus priority lane complements other ministry investments, such as the McKenzie Interchange and northbound priority bus lanes, to quickly move buses along the corridor and reduce traffic congestion. Improved reliability of transit is an important component of the South Island Transportation Strategy, which is taking a comprehensive and co-ordinated look into improving traffic congestion and exploring all modes of transportation, to help get people to their destinations more quickly.

The estimated cost of the project is $16 million, with the Government of British Columbia investing $11.1 million and the Government of Canada investing $4.9 million.

During construction, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure will minimize delays for commuters by scheduling the majority of work outside of peak traffic periods. The ministry will not allow lane closures for construction on Sundays, statutory holidays or between the hours of 5:30 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Nighttime work may include 25- to 30-minute traffic stoppages, and when required, the public will be given advance notice.

After a competitive bidding process, the ministry awarded the contract for this project to Ralmax Contracting Ltd.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6630 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

I was more responding to the statement I quoted you saying where staff would be told to report the revenue would be $2M if the amount needed was $2M.  Couple other remarks you had made in that post were also inaccurate so I was attempting to correct those comments. 

Yes adding everyone under 19 would likely increases costs but again, wouldn't effect estimated revenue, unless a change was made in operations (rates etc.).

You are right Ismo07. Although I wasn't referring to you specifically, I shouldn't have suggested that staff would just give the Mayor the number she needed. That wasn't fair. You have been extremely helpful and supportive in the forum and I appreciate that.

#6631 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

“Priority bus lanes help get people to where they want to go faster than in a car,” said Claire Trevena, B.C.'s Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure.

I think maybe it takes them to where the bus goes - not necessarily to where they want to go. Maybe within a few blocks of where they want to go.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6632 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

“Priority bus lanes help get people to where they want to go faster than in a car,” said Claire Trevena, B.C.'s Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure.

I think maybe it takes them to where the bus goes - not necessarily to where they want to go. Maybe within a few blocks of where they want to go.

If you are lucky. I know lots of people who have anywhere from 15-30 minute walks to the closest bus stop and they live in the core.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6633 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

Maybe along the central route where there are priority bus lanes, but everywhere else the bus is far slower.

#6634 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:21 AM

As someone who takes the bus regularly the only time its ever quicker than car is when Douglas is backed up. Otherwise any cars it did pass just pass it again as soon as it stops.

#6635 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

As someone who takes the bus regularly the only time its ever quicker than car is when Douglas is backed up. Otherwise any cars it did pass just pass it again as soon as it stops.

There is context to her quote.  Likely she is describing the bus lanes will help commuters get home quicker, not in general.  I know I have a staff member who is getting home 30 minutes earlier on average and she is only going to View Royal.  This is even after letting her first bus go by because it's packed.

I will say I had to drive out to the Westshore yesterday around 5:30 and went down the highway.  From Cloverdale to View Royal I didn't have one bus pass me.  It seemed odd.  I must have missed at least one and not noticed maybe but I was paying quite a bit of attention to it as many cars turning right were in that lane.  Also arrived at Belmont High School before 6pm so I was thinking the traffic snarl isn't all that bad.  I do not do this daily and really drive that way once or twice a year actually during that time.

#6636 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

There is context to her quote.  Likely she is describing the bus lanes will help commuters get home quicker, not in general.  I know I have a staff member who is getting home 30 minutes earlier on average and she is only going to View Royal.  This is even after letting her first bus go by because it's packed.

I will say I had to drive out to the Westshore yesterday around 5:30 and went down the highway.  From Cloverdale to View Royal I didn't have one bus pass me.  It seemed odd.  I must have missed at least one and not noticed maybe but I was paying quite a bit of attention to it as many cars turning right were in that lane.  Also arrived at Belmont High School before 6pm so I was thinking the traffic snarl isn't all that bad.  I do not do this daily and really drive that way once or twice a year actually during that time.

I live almost right on the 30/31 route, probably one of the closest to a regular served stop directly to downtown out of anyone on this board. While I haven't come directly in the heart of rush hour since the entirety of their route on Douglas (and Carey isn't that bad) since the lanes extended up the TCH I still don't think we save that much time. None of the stops between Hillside and Carey are pull-offs so even if no one wants on or off at the stop from our bus (rare) we still need to wait for the 50, 61, 72, 75 to move out of the way and by that time (since none of the stops are big enough to fit that many buses) the cars we passed last stop are usually back next to us.

Also I'm not sure I understand the part about your staff member. Since the 14 has been rerouted I don't think there's any buses that go to View Royal residential areas that use Douglas. The Langford/Sooke buses go through it but that's a decent walk unless she happens to live right on the OIH

#6637 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

I live almost right on the 30/31 route, probably one of the closest to a regular served stop directly to downtown out of anyone on this board. While I haven't come directly in the heart of rush hour since the entirety of their route on Douglas (and Carey isn't that bad) since the lanes extended up the TCH I still don't think we save that much time. None of the stops between Hillside and Carey are pull-offs so even if no one wants on or off at the stop from our bus (rare) we still need to wait for the 50, 61, 72, 75 to move out of the way and by that time (since none of the stops are big enough to fit that many buses) the cars we passed last stop are usually back next to us.

Also I'm not sure I understand the part about your staff member. Since the 14 has been rerouted I don't think there's any buses that go to View Royal residential areas that use Douglas. The Langford/Sooke buses go through it but that's a decent walk unless she happens to live right on the OIH

I don't know the routes like I used to but the priority lanes that go to the Westshore is where the real savings begin but even in your scenario where the 50, let's say, pulls over at a stop, yes your bus waits for that but you still gain on cars inching along.

Regarding my staff, she lives in View Royal and parks at the park and ride.  Before the bus lanes opened she would get home between 5:30 and 6pm even a little later than 6 at times. Now she is getting home around the 5-5:15pm mark.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#6638 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:31 AM

The summer service changes are up. I think everything is pretty standard (although they mention 16 and 76 being cancelled despite that happening in April) https://www.bctransi...service-changes

#6639 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:21 AM

Sunday parking alone will not generate enough cash to cover the cost of bus passes for city youth, Victoria councillors have been told.

“I can share right now that the original [cost] numbers [of providing bus passes] are around $850,000. The revenue generated from the parking fees will not come to $850,000, so there is a gap already,” Susanne Thompson, city director of finance, told councillors this week.

https://www.timescol...king-1.23864162

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2019 - 05:22 AM.

#6640 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:18 AM

Colour me shocked.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)