BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,968 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:34 AM

my problem with this free system is that we are going to be paying $135 for a whole bunch of passes that are NEVER used.  that's why i'd prefer them to at least cost $25 or $50.  if anyone can not afford that then we can have a program like LIFE to cover their fee.

i also suspect victoria taxpayers will end up paying for passes for kids that actually live in other municipalities.  because officials will make it some type of "low barrier" verification system that's easily gamed.  kids and parents will also trade and sell them.  some of that already happens with the bc bus pass program.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2019 - 06:52 AM.

#6642 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

^ That is exactly why the bus passes are $135 per person. BC Transit knows that many people will never use them so they lowered the price to compensate. Council's plan to simply go back and ask for fewer passes at the same low price is silly. If you read Ben's comments it seems pretty clear to me that once we "decouple" bus passes from parking revenue then we will be adding the homeless and other "marginalized" folks to the freebie program.

What bothers, but doesn't surprise me, is that staff knew that what the revenue for the parking fees would be as we saw in this forum. The Mayor knew what the cost off the bus passes would be as she sits on the transit board. Nevertheless the Mayor led us to believe as recently as two weeks ago that one would pay for the other. It wasn't until that was challenged and staff put on the spot that it was finally revealed as a fabrication.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#6643 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

Is this what the in-camera meeting was about on Thursday?

Suddenly Victoria taxpayers have been saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional taxation, at a time when the police budget is underfunded and councillors are “standing up for the taxpayer.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6644 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

Is this what the in-camera meeting was about on Thursday?

Suddenly Victoria taxpayers have been saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional taxation, at a time when the police budget is underfunded and councillors are “standing up for the taxpayer.”

There was an item on the COTW agenda to look at expanding the free bus pass program to everyone under 19. I commented on at late last week. That is likely where it came up. At least some staff members look like they are not willing to take a bullet for the Mayor. Note that Helps was not at the meeting as she was travelling again. She seems to make sure that when these mea cupla's come up she is not around.

• Nparker likes this

#6645 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:52 AM

^ That is exactly why the bus passes are $135 per person. BC Transit knows that many people will never use them so they lowered the price to compensate. Council's plan to simply go back and ask for fewer passes at the same low price is silly. If you read Ben's comments it seems pretty clear to me that once we "decouple" bus passes from parking revenue then we will be adding the homeless and other "marginalized" folks to the freebie program.

we already have a program.  and it's gone from 5,000 tickets in 1997 to 135,000 tickets and 15,000 monthly passes today.   a crazy escalation.

http://www.community..._January_16.pdf

service agencies to find a solution a

round addressing the transportation needs of the low income people they served. The bus ticket allocation from BC Transit in the first year was 5,000 tickets to distribute to 10 community agencies. In 1998, the allocation was doubled to 10,000 tickets and the number of participating agencies increased to 27. Between 1999 and 2000, 11,700 free tickets and 12, 620 purchased tickets were distributed to 37 agencies along with 287 day passes (142 free and 145 paid).Between 2003and 2004, 32 agencies participated in the program. In 2006, 50, 000 transit ticketsand 120 monthly passes were distributed to 39 agencies. In 2010, 90,000 transit tickets and 800 monthly passes were distributed and in 2012 due to high demand from the participating agenciesand a change in the transfer timepolicy, the allocation was increased to 135,000 transit tickets and 15,000 monthly passes to about 50 agencies.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2019 - 08:56 AM.

#6646 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

...Suddenly Victoria taxpayers have been saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional taxation, at a time when the police budget is underfunded and councillors are “standing up for the taxpayer.”

And my property taxes went up more than 20% in one year.

#6647 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:01 AM

Just wait for your sewage bill.

That alone will push up your taxes by 20%.

Do supporters of these programs not realize that with every financial commitment this council makes, rents rise accordingly? You can’t have taxation increasing by 15-20% and not expect rents to climb.
  • Matt R., Danma and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6648 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

All of this could have been avoided had the City not promised “free” passes for youth by promising parking revenues would cover their cost.

This was handled extremely poorly. Promises first, massive funding gaps only months later.
  • Nparker, Danma, Midnightly and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#6649 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

...Do supporters of these programs not realize that with every financial commitment this council makes, rents rise accordingly? You can’t have taxation increasing by 15-20% and not expect rents to climb.

If the supporters of these programs were capable of that sort of critical thinking, then the people proposing the programs would never get elected.

• Midnightly and Victoria Watcher like this

#6650 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

All of this could have been avoided had the City not promised “free” passes for youth by promising parking revenues would cover their cost.

This was handled extremely poorly. Promises first, massive funding gaps only months later.

The reason why they were not up front is because the "surplus" and " assessment increase" have already been spent. The City can't run a deficit so in my opinion they come up with schemes like this to make it look like the budget is balanced.

#6651 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:38 AM

It’ll be interesting to see how downtown fares on Sundays now that parking comes with a cost.

Of course, the simplest solution here would be to role out the same parking cost structure as exists for Saturdays. That would yield significantly higher revenues than the $550k or so that Sundays will generate ($10,500 per Sunday).

Know it all.

#6652 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

i think they might be a bit reluctant to do that for sunday mornings when churches are in sunday afternoons maybe though.

#6653 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

It’ll be interesting to see how downtown fares on Sundays now that parking comes with a cost.

Of course, the simplest solution here would be to role out the same parking cost structure as exists for Saturdays. That would yield significantly higher revenues than the $550k or so that Sundays will generate ($10,500 per Sunday).

I think that they would be reluctant to increase Sunday parking fees a month after they started being charged.

#6654 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

Won’t somebody think of the children, though?
  • sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#6655 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

i think they might be a bit reluctant to do that for sunday mornings when churches are in sunday afternoons maybe though.

I cannot remember where these things are written (probably a legal agreement in a cabinet somewhere) but the City does not charge for parking on Saturday mornings on certain streets near the synagogue and SDA church. I would imagine they would do (or have done) the same thing for the Sunday crowd.

#6656 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

Why should we subsidize church parking?  That's a touchy one...

Mike, I figure downtown will be just fine on Sundays.  Pay parking promotes more turnover, and the parkades are free still so people will be tempted to spend more time walking around town paying and exorbitant prices for their maple syrup fix.  

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6657 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

I don't know how many people here are at Royal Oak Exchange regularly but has anyone noticed Bay B seems to be overcrowded? Pretty regularly no matter what time I'm there there always seems to be 4 buses trying to squeeze in when only 3 are meant to fit. I don't even get why since only the 6 (not even A or B), 30 and 31 should be there and none of those got a service boost at the start of April which is when I started noticing this.

#6658 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

Which one is Bay B?

Know it all.

#6659 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

Which one is Bay B?

right across from the fire hall on Elk Lake Drive. It technically has 3 "bays" but that section is all Bay B 

#6660 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Ah, gotcha. Must be that it's a pick-up spot for ferry-destined traffic.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users