Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6661 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:59 PM

I think you're thinking of the highway ramps. The only buses that shoukd be in Bay B are 6, 30, 31 and 2 32s first thing in the morning. The ferry is either Bay E (on Royal Oak across from fire hall) or Bay I (on the highway ramp)

#6662 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:03 PM

I go by there twice a day (7:45/4:45 ish) and don't usually see more than 2 buses in Bay B.

#6663 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

• lanforod likes this

#6664 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

I go by there twice a day (7:45/4:45 ish) and don't usually see more than 2 buses in Bay B.

interesting. I've been there about twice a week since the end of April (once since January) some point between 11 and 1 and since April I've almost always seen that. Today for example I walked up and two buses were sitting there. One became a 6 and left then a couple minutes later a bus turned left off Royal Oak and entered one of the spots and another turned right taking the other. The 30 I was waiting for came as a 75 and had to go to Bay A. It only seems to happen when a 75 becoming a 30/31 comes in thinking about it so maybe they just messed up the scheduling of those somehow? Would also explain why you don't see it when the 75 is running the full route and I guess the problem will be solved next week.

#6665 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:33 AM

Has anyone been on a bus within the last few weeks without the screen and "next stop" callouts? Even the double deckers seem to mostly have them now so we might actually get the next ride stuff this summer. 

#6666 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:35 PM

Has anyone been on a bus within the last few weeks without the screen and "next stop" callouts? Even the double deckers seem to mostly have them now so we might actually get the next ride stuff this summer. 

The only buses left without the NextRide equipment are the contingency New Flyer buses (8097-8117). Those buses are already 23 years old and will likely be off the road by the time NextRide launches (July 24/25) 

• Cats4Hire likes this

#6667 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

Is there a source for the late July launch date, BCT?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6668 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

We were able to connect with BCT and confirm the late July roll-out. This is big news for Victoria.

BC Transit's bus-tracking NextRide technology will launch in Victoria by late July

https://victoria.cit...a-by-late-july/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6669 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

But the Dude, Where's My Bus system won't actually answer the question of why the every-10-minutes bus is 30 minutes late. At least it'll let you know you're not gonna make your destination on time.

My kid has (what I think is) unreasonable faith in the schedule.  She typically takes a bus that will get her to the destination (appointment, school, work) just before she needs to be there.  How many times do I get a text saying, "I'm at the stop and the bus isn't coming, I'm going to be late." and then it's hop in the car, drive over to the stop and drive her to the destination?  Too often.  She should really plan for this and aim for an earlier bus, but Teens R Dum.

#6670 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:30 AM

^My friend, you must simply create an environment that makes the bus more attractive to the child than the chauffeured ride to school. 

Here is everything you need to do this: https://www.reddit.c...le_school_what/

• DustMagnet likes this

#6671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:35 AM

Isn't the more embarrassing thing that dad spends hours on Reddit figuring out how to embarrass a teenager for two minutes?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#6672 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

Says the guy without a teenager. 

Embarrassing teens is a serious business and time honoured tradition. 

• DustMagnet likes this

#6673 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

And you wanna give 'em the vote, eh?

• tedward likes this

Know it all.

#6674 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

Maybe we need a Graduated Voting system, whereby children are given the opportunity to vote, but their votes are either weighed less than adults or otherwise inform but do not directly impact the actual selection process.

Get them used to voting and find out how to manipulate the group at the same time.  Hey, data's data.

#6675 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

After Victoria initiative, free bus passes urged for all youth in region

A Saanich councillor is calling for free transit bus passes for everyone under age 19 living in the capital region, and the transit commission’s chairwoman said it is studying the issue.

Saanich Coun. Nathalie Chambers has introduced a motion that council endorse her proposal and encourage the Victoria Regional Transit Commission to make free youth bus passes a part of its 2020 budget.

https://www.timescol...gion-1.23884451

free.  is.  a.  bad.  idea.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 July 2019 - 10:06 AM.

• Midnightly likes this

#6676 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

...free.  is.  a.  bad.  idea.

Free is NOT free. Someone, somewhere is subsidizing the cost. I wish this were made more clear to the general public.

• Midnightly likes this

#6677 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

Instead of each municipality doing this BC Transit and the 3 school districts should talk and offer maybe not "free" but cheaper passes to students. They used to offer that but the year my brother was in grade 12 they stopped which was annoying because he was going to a school further away for a program.

#6678 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:25 AM

I am just pleased that this initiative will have the environmental benefit of keeping drivers from the ages of 6-15 off the roads.

• mbjj likes this

#6679 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

https://www.timescol...gion-1.23884451

free.  is.  a.  bad.  idea.

Show me on the doll where free transit hurt you

• tedward and Greg like this

#6680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

Show me on the doll where free transit hurt you

i'm glad you asked.

say for example toilet paper was free paid for by your taxes.

would toilet paper use go up or down?

of course it would go up.

and it's not like some people are not using toiler paper now so that explains the increase.  

the increase is because it's "free".  and that encourages waste.

same thing with buses.  kids that were perfectly fine with walking 4 blocks will now take the bus.  buses will have to be added.  more pollution.

i've yet to hear of even a single community or advocacy group that asked for free or cheap buses.  it's a political invention.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 July 2019 - 11:43 AM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users