9623 replies to this topic

#6801 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

It's also live on Google Maps

Edit: By "live" I mean integrated, not updated in real time

I don't see it - the Transit option is greyed-out.

#6802 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:37 PM

It's also live on Google Maps

Edit: By "live" I mean integrated, not updated in real time

I don't see it - the Transit option is greyed-out.

For whatever reason it doesn't show up on the transit layer, but if you click on a bus stop the entire network appears, along with the line numbers and estimated next bus arrival. There's also an icon showing what I assume is typical passenger numbers for some of the routes (eg. 21 Camosun and 50 Langford, below). No explanation what it really means, though...

Screenshot_20190724-153344.png

#6803 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

For the above, you can also sort by individual route, and it will give you the scheduled arrival time for any particular stop on the route.

#6804 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:00 PM

The tracking system cost $11,500 per bus. Overall cost of the B.C. Transit project is $6.72 million for seven B.C. communities, including Nanaimo, which got NextRide in May 2018, followed by Comox, Whistler, Squamish, Kamloops and Kelowna.

NextRide can also tell people if a bus is full, Ridout said, and gives drivers a display unit to improve communication with dispatchers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#6805 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:13 PM

I'd like to know how accurate the fullness is but it seems half the time it says "passenger capacity unavailable". It would actually be nice if it alerted what type of bus is on the route. Just the picture changing to a commuter or double decker or whatever would be nice.

#6806 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:16 PM

is it possible they are still training drivers on how to calibrate that feature?  i'm not sure i'd pass on a bus that says "full" 3 stops away.  maybe it empties a bit to give more room.  uvic students probably know how to judge this possibility better than i though.

#6807 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

Probably. I could tell you if a 4 is full after Quadra you probably aren't getting on until Cedar Hill, the 2 mall stops or Camosun. Depending on the time of day maybe Richmond (ton of Lansdowne Middle School students take the 4)

#6808 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

I quite like it; its been very accurate in terms of plotting the location of my bus (# 14) - which is all is really care about - both days I've used the app. They'll no doubt work out the kinks and update it and patch as necessary over time. Good stuff BCT.

#6809 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

Yes, it's fantastic.

I heard that the issues with displaying the passenger capacity relate to the double deckers so I'm sure they'll fix that at some point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6810 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

I've seen it on routes that don't run double deckers (mostly 30 and 31s) so I do think there's something else aside from just them

#6811 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

I noticed today routes that don't run on weekends (9, 46-48, 71, etc) don't show up on the tracker as well as routes that don't do the whole thing (8, 39, 61) only show what is done on the weekend. I wonder why on weekdays the 8's route has it go through Tillicum Mall which it only does on weekends or why they display routes with night versions of their route (7, 21) both at once instead of switching those when the time comes as well.

#6812 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:25 PM

As transit said, only 75% of buses have passenger counters (actually, it's much fewer than that - only half of the fleet). 

Transit lied stating that the entire fleet has NextRide. There are still a few buses (10-15 buses) that are not equipped with the NextRide equipment. Surprisingly they equipped some buses that will be retiring soon with NextRide (the HandyDart style buses). 

#6813 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:34 PM

What I am surprise most about is the number of busses that work a route. Thought off peak 20 minute service would of required more than 4 buses on the 11.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6814 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

I saw a 75 pass with an ad for Next Ride on the side. Ironically the bus didn't appear on Next Ride (annoying since it had about the amount of people on it I assume is about where it switched between "light" and "medium" load and was going to see if I was right.)

#6815 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

What was the bus model?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6816 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:10 AM

Red paint with the blue seats. Sorry I can only tell the Novas apart on the pictures on their site.

#6817 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

Ok so like the old old old boxy style, the New Flyer?

Know it all.

#6818 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:37 AM

Ok so like the old old old boxy style, the New Flyer?

I think so

#6819 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:03 PM

🚌BC Transit’s Low Carbon Fleet Program supports provincial targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions🚌

CORPORATE – BC Transit is releasing its pathway to a fully electric provincial fleet. The low carbon fleet program aligns with the Province of BC’s CleanBC plan, supports provincial targets for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and supports local government climate action goals. Moving to a fully electric bus fleet will provide customers with a cleaner, quieter, and more comfortable transportation journey.

BC Transit plans to start buying only electric heavy duty buses in 2023, with a target of creating a fully electric provincial fleet in all vehicle classifications by 2040.

"British Columbia’s largest and fastest-growing source of carbon pollution is the transportation sector,” said Claire Trevena, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. “Changing that trend will be a challenge, but it's also a tremendous opportunity. Many of the actions we need to take to reduce carbon emissions - such as encouraging people to choose transit over their personal vehicles and moving to a fully electric fleet - are the exact same measures that will get us out of gridlock and make our neighbourhoods more liveable, now and for future generations."

“Through our CleanBC climate and economic plan, which is a shared priority with the BC Green Caucus, our government is making public transit clean, affordable and convenient for people by working together with local partners,” said George Heyman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy. “BC Transit’s commitment to a fully electric fleet is an important step towards zero-emissions travel in B.C., and will mean cleaner air, less congestion and a more comfortable experience for people who choose transit.”

The low carbon fleet program focuses on four principles:

· Transitioning vehicles to electric propulsion based on the fleet replacement plan
· Bridging transition to electric with renewable fuels
· Using business cases to guide investment decisions
· Developing partnerships

The plan is to start purchasing electric buses while converting to new and emerging low carbon technologies, such as compressed natural gas (CNG) which enable the use of renewable natural gas.

On July 18, the Government of Canada, Province of BC and BC Transit announced the purchase of our first 10 battery heavy duty electric buses for deployment in 2021. BC Transit is also introducing CNG buses and fueling infrastructure to Victoria and the Central Fraser Valley. This includes the addition of 34 medium duty and 68 heavy duty to the current fleet of 128 compressed natural gas buses.

“Transit can have its biggest impact on reducing greenhouse gas emissions by getting people out of their vehicles and onto the bus. However, we also need to transition our infrastructure, including our buses, to reduce our environmental footprint,” said Aaron Lamb, Vice President of Asset Management. “We are excited to be working with the Province of BC and local government partners towards creating a more sustainable future.”

During this process, BC Transit will be undertaking our due diligence by monitoring and evaluating technology and infrastructure readiness through this process to ensure we are progressing appropriately. These details will inform future business cases for purchasing electric vehicles.

More details about the Low Carbon Fleet Program are available at https://www.bctransi...n-fleet-program
  • Brantastic likes this

Know it all.

#6820 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Not every bus has passenger counters. Only 60% of the fleet has them, that's why some buses show "Passenger Capacity Unavailable". Even the newest buses, the Vicinitys, as well as the 6000-series Novas don't have passenger counters. Also if the bus says "full", that just means full seated load. 

• Mike K. and BCTransitLTC like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Facebook (3)