Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6901 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:23 AM

anyone know how frequently these extra trips for 75 and 81 run today and from what times? https://www.bctransi...d=1529705832107

#6902 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

It's been many years since I was a regular passenger on the #75 route, but as I recall, back then this bus was only supposed to make pick-ups between downtown and what is today the Uptown area - no drop-offs. It really gets my goat when people use a suburban route to make short trips in the core.

Why?  A bus is a bus, and if it gets me where I want to go I've no reason to care where it goes after that. :)

#6903 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

I suspect the pickle is when folks who need to go where the suburban bus is ultimately going can’t get on because the bus is full, or can’t get a seat and stand half+ of the distance. That definitely makes transit a less desirable option.

I know the 61 suffers from that a lot. Sooke-bound passengers are either passed up or unable to sit because of Langford-bound passengers who take the 61 in lieu of the 50.

When I lived in White Rock I seem to recall that the downtown Vancouver to White Rock bus would only allow passengers to disembark south of the Fraser and only at limited stops until south Surrey/White Rock. I don’t know if that’s still the case though.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6904 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

When I lived in White Rock I seem to recall that the downtown Vancouver to White Rock bus would only allow passengers to disembark south of the Fraser and only at limited stops until south Surrey/White Rock. I don’t know if that’s still the case though.

These routes now pickup and dropoff at all of these limited bus stops.

#6905 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:58 AM

Oh yes, they had pick ups too way back then (circa 2004) but well outside of the city. For commuters that was really nice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6906 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

You would think after all these years they would have figured out the proper balance of double deck and regular buses heading to UVic but the amount of "To Garage" double decks we passed on the single deck 4 saying "sorry bus full" by Cedar Hill says otherwise.

#6907 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

Depending on time time of day many of these are deadheading back to Douglas & Kings to provide extra capacity towards UVic during the morning rush.

#6908 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

Depending on time time of day many of these are deadheading back to Douglas & Kings to provide extra capacity towards UVic during the morning rush.

aren't those the "not in service" ones not the "To garage" ones? I always assumed that's what the difference was. It was around 11 though which according to the schedule those were done anyway.

#6909 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

I don't think the drivers will pay much attention to which of the two signs are used, but yes, around 11 is after those deadheads.

#6910 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:39 PM

No idea what happened but I saw a bus pulled over right by Douglas/Bay with 4 ways on and both transit and Victoria police parked right behind it talking to the driver. No other people were around but as both sets of doors were open I assume a replacement bus came before I got there.

#6911 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:48 PM

It’s was a fender-bender with a passenger vehicle. No injuries. Apparently the bus was cut off on Douglas Street by a vehicle making an illegal turn onto Bay.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

Know it all.

#6912 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

Protective cages will be installed on Victoria’s buses to keep drivers safe.

Is this what it has come to? Several years ago BCT said these measures can escalate instances of aggression, but I guess assault after assault has made this move a necessity:

Corporate – BC Transit is moving forward with Arow Global Corporation to design and manufacture full driver doors for our high capacity buses (double deckers), heavy duty buses (regular 40 foot transit buses), and medium duty buses across the province. The project is expected to cost approximately $6.5 million.

The full driver door includes a transparent piece of laminated tempered glass with anti-glare coating with a metal base. It is designed to increase protection for our drivers. The full driver door windows can be adjusted to account for sightlines associated with different seat positions.

BC Transit is on track to have new replacement and expansion buses come with the full driver door installed. The first buses with the full driver door will arrive in late 2019.

In early 2020 we will start retrofitting 650 buses in our provincial fleet with the full driver door. Buses scheduled for replacement within two years will not have the full driver door installed; instead, the replacement bus will be equipped with the full driver door installed.

While we continue to work on detailed implementation planning, we have determined the retrofitting process will begin in Victoria then move onto Kelowna.

Safety is our top priority, and the full driver door is another tool along with:

· closed circuit television cameras;
· driver training to diffuse situations;
· partnerships with first responders; and
· enhanced communication technology on board the bus, including the radio system

Know it all.

#6913 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,925 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

once they become self driving you’ll need a door anyway to house the servers and hydraulics in that area anyway.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6914 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

How are they going to give out day passes?

#6915 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,925 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:25 PM

like the amazon self serve store. it knows if you’ve been onboard.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 September 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#6916 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:54 PM

How are they going to give out day passes?

Like every other transit agency that has protective doors in place.

This certainly isn't a first...

#6917 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

Commuter horror stories are starting to pile up now with dysfunction, significantly late buses, missed connections and 'ghost buses.'

That is why I can't rely on public transit in this region. It can be very unreliable if you live anywhere outside of the core of the urban core.

Know it all.

#6918 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

I'm texting with a friend who's sitting at the Douglas and Yates #15 bus stop. Four #14's have rumbled past and not a single #15.

Meanwhile the schedule says a #15 should have departed that stop at 8:31, 8:45 and 9:00. The next scheduled bus is 9:16, and going by Nextride it looks like it's going to arrive by that time.

Know it all.

#6919 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,925 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

just swipe left and move on to somebody else. don’t let the bus system wreak havoc on your social calendar.

#6920 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:48 AM

I'm texting with a friend who's sitting at the Douglas and Yates #15 bus stop. Four #14's have rumbled past and not a single #15.

Meanwhile the schedule says a #15 should have departed that stop at 8:31, 8:45 and 9:00. The next scheduled bus is 9:16, and going by Nextride it looks like it's going to arrive by that time.

And that's why I don't bus to work.  My 11 minute drive in the morning is just shy of 40 minutes by bus according to the planner on Google Maps.  And that's assuming both buses are on time and the transfer goes smoothly at Pandora & Quadra.  

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users