BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6941 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:11 AM

What I mean is they’re not bound by municipal action or inaction. They’ve overridden Victoria on the police issue and now View Royal.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6942 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:17 AM

What I mean is they’re not bound by municipal action or inaction. They’ve overridden Victoria on the police issue and now View Royal.

ah I get you. A lot of these infrastructure things most people agree are needed but it's always "not in my neighborhood" so yeah I'm glad NDP is just going through anyway too.

#6943 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:27 AM

So now the question is which properties in the Glanford area transit owns. First Transit, which operates the HandyDarts on behalf of BCT, has their base on Vanalman Avenue at Commerce Circle. It’s not very big.

Just to the south Wilson’s has their bus depot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6944 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:35 AM

On Google Maps there's the same BC Transit sign on Commerce that's just outside the current depots so I assume Transit owns that. My assumption is they'll mostly use the facility for the smaller buses for routes 32, 35 and the 80s as it would save a little time getting to Royal Oak and the Peninsula but I don't think double deckers would fit there and I'm not sure about the regular size buses either.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6945 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:43 AM

Right, good point. I’ll see what I can find out.

Know it all.

#6946 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:18 AM

ah I get you. A lot of these infrastructure things most people agree are needed but it's always "not in my neighborhood" so yeah I'm glad NDP is just going through anyway too.

Isn't that also how the sewage treatment plant ended up in Esquimalt?

#6947 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:32 AM

Google Street view shows a Wilson sign at the lot on the bend on Commerce (4212 Commerce).  First Transit is 4206 Commerce and has the BCT sign at the entrance to its lot (halfway between Vanalman and the bend, where the high hedge stops), and 4210 Commerce also has BCT branding on the side of its building.

#6948 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

The B.C. government is pushing ahead with plans to build a regional handyDART facility in View Royal over the objections of residents and local government, Mayor David Screech said Friday.

View Royal council rejected the facility last year amid community concerns about noise, traffic, diesel fumes and potential environmental impacts to Craigflower Creek, which runs alongside the 3.2-hectare property at 2401 Burnside Rd. West.

Oh the irony.  Wasn't it Screech that wanted a regional transit system?  Was it to create an environment where decisions would be made in the best interest of the region, or a play to stack transit for the benefit of a few (which is why Langford objected).  

#6949 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

I can confirm the passenger on the bus that struck the median was not a fare paying passenger.
  • BCTransitLTC likes this

Know it all.

#6950 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:38 AM

mystery passenger

#6951 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:37 AM

I can confirm the passenger on the bus that struck the median was not a fare paying passenger.

Sounds like a land-based version of the Queen Of The North sinking.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6952 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:46 AM

Yeah, this incident is a little odd. I wouldn’t be surprised if the bus had been speeding. I’ve seen buses blowing past other vehicles when they’re dead heading to the yard, which this one was doing.

Know it all.

#6953 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

Sounds like a land-based version of the Queen Of The North sinking.

oh my.

#6954 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

Someone I know who lives on Rupert Terrace says they now have buses trying to wend their way down their narrow street so they can park on Fairfield near that art deco building. They figure they used to be able to drive up Ping Pong Alley in order to loop around but can't do so now. A tight squeeze for a double decker trying to make the right turn from Rupert onto Fairfield, plus now their street is much noisier. I guess ping pong is more important.

#6955 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

Yesterday I opted to take a bus into town with a 1:30PM scheduled/desired arrival. The first bus I could have taken broke down (I called transit to ask why the bus wasn’t moving on next ride) so I opted for the next one (it’s about an hour between buses). Called my friend, pushed my arrival back to 2:30.

The next bus also got stuck along the route due to some incident and was heavily delayed.

My 1:30 planned arrival ended go being a 3:20 arrival.

Know it all.

#6956 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:13 AM

Someone I know who lives on Rupert Terrace says they now have buses trying to wend their way down their narrow street so they can park on Fairfield near that art deco building. They figure they used to be able to drive up Ping Pong Alley in order to loop around but can't do so now. A tight squeeze for a double decker trying to make the right turn from Rupert onto Fairfield, plus now their street is much noisier. I guess ping pong is more important.

it's stated to be a temporary detour https://www.bctransi...d=1529705905761

The 4 did used to use Humbolt to turn around. What it's currently supposed to do is off Douglas turn left on Burdett, right on Penwell, left on Blanshard, left on Fairfield. Honestly aside from being able to use it when the legislature area is closed off I don't get why they keep the Blanshard Terminus for essentially 4, 27 and 28. Every time I've been at the Legislature Exchange there's tons of room (probably since 50 and 30/31 are the only somewhat frequent buses that use it) they could move those 3 routes to. Or at least the 4 so it doesn't have that awkward turnaround down tiny side roads. 

#6957 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

there is no real good reason why each bus # needs its own slot at any exchange really. use electronic signs if you must. even though that’s not necessary buses have at least three signs already on them. airports have been using slots for multiple routes for decades.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 September 2019 - 08:20 AM.

#6958 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:42 AM

there is no real good reason why each bus # needs its own slot at any exchange really. use electronic signs if you must. even though that’s not necessary buses have at least three signs already on them. airports have been using slots for multiple routes for decades.

by space I more meant for layovers than slots to pick up. Take Royal Oak for example Bays B (6, 30, 31) and C (6A/B, 32, 39) are constantly full and the empty ones (D, E, F) are awkward to get to those bays so they can't be used for layovers. UVic also has this issue but usually only at peak times and turnaround isn't that hard.

#6959 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:48 AM

layovers ought to be minimized wherever possible.  why is a #6 laying over?  that route should be unscheduled it just goes and goes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 September 2019 - 08:48 AM.

#6960 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

layovers ought to be minimized wherever possible.  why is a #6 laying over?  that route should be unscheduled it just goes and goes.

drivers need to use the bathroom, have lunch, etc. If 6 wasn't scheduled that would suck for if you need a specific one as the schedule goes 6, 6A, 6, 6B, repeat so no schedule might mean standing at your 6A stop (too close to the exchange for NextRide to help) for half an hour. Or even when they meet 3 go by then nothing for 40 minutes when 2 more come (although in my experience with 6 that's how it currently goes anyway).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users