Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
7053 replies to this topic

#6981 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:02 PM

A brand new double-decker (for Vancouver, TransLink) was on demo in Langford today for drivers. 

This is a good sign; it means that the 8 deckers for the Sookies will be coming soon (within the next few months). 

Ours will not be as fancy; this one has a luggage rack, armrests, USB ports for the passengers, and a screen at the bottom of the stairs to see how full it is before heading up. 

Attached Images

• 20190916_140515.jpg

#6982 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

I can confirm the passenger on the bus that struck the median was not a fare paying passenger.

It could be anybody. Mechanic, line-trainer, trainee, office staff. Drivers are not "supposed to" take passengers when they're out of service, but it's at their discretion 

#6983 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,468 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

So those eight deckers will all be used on the Sooke run?

And speaking of which, why don’t we have charging ports on buses? That’s a fantastic perk.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6984 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 416 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:44 PM

My math sucks so help me please. $6.5 million divided by 650 busses. Is that $100,000 per bus, or $10,000. Even $1000.00 would be ridiculous. It's a piece of freakin Lexan.

That’s $10k per bus.

So, $190.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet of Lexan. I wonder where the other $9810.00 is going.

Attached Images

• Captureaaa.JPG
  • Capturebbb.JPG

#6985 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,363 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:53 PM

So, $190.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet of Lexan. I wonder where the other $9810.00 is going.

It's a lot more than a piece of Lexan...

https://twitter.com/...or-for-drivers/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6986 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:16 AM

it's less complicated than a typical car door.  but i suppose it's not produced in similar quantities to car doors so it's 20 or 30 times more expensive. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2019 - 03:16 AM.

#6987 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

I believe our GPS system was done by Strategic Mapping which is a good thing because New York school buses using Teletrac Navman technology seems to be having a few hiccups:

A troubled 2015 contract with the GPS company Teletrac Navman grew to include 6,000 city school buses — despite the fact the system was so poorly designed it wasn’t even activated 75-80% of the time and included almost 1,000 broken devices at points.

The contract, which cost the city almost $10 million, never delivered on its initial promise of providing student tracking data the city could submit to claim Medicaid reimbursement for transporting special education students — an oversight that lost the city millions of dollars in unclaimed funds.

City officials never learned how the devices actually worked — they include a tablet drivers need to manually turn on and log into — and failed to outline drivers’ responsibilities in the new system in contracts with bus companies.

A pilot program with the new GPS trackers raised scores of red flags, including broken devices and a tracker that showed a bus sitting in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa. But officials pressed forward and installed thousands more of the devices.

The issues only multiplied. The city paid hundreds of thousands for broken devices, paid double on some trackers, and got hundreds of complaints from drivers frustrated by the spotty system, according to the investigation.

Navman provided minimal technical support. The company was almost two year late staffing an employee to work on site in New York and neglected to keep records of past invoices for city officials to review, according to the report.

https://www.nydailyn...vday-story.html

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#6988 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,468 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

There, now that's the sort of news a New York paper should be covering.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6989 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,363 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

So, with the mild storm rolling through today are people not using the bus or biking?  Traffic looks to be a nightmare.  Took a coworker an hour to get in this morning, much longer than usual.

traffic.JPG

Google map snapshot taken at 9:35

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#6990 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,468 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

Yes, it can get real nutty when the weather turns.

Where was your co-worker coming from, and how far was their driving distance (presumably he/she drove).

Know it all.

#6991 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 875 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:14 AM

So, with the mild storm rolling through today are people not using the bus or biking? Traffic looks to be a nightmare. Took a coworker an hour to get in this morning, much longer than usual.

traffic.JPG

Google map snapshot taken at 9:35

Both my buses were far emptier than normal today. Normally I notice them fuller on rainy days so that was weird.

#6992 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,363 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:20 AM

Yes, it can get real nutty when the weather turns.

Where was your co-worker coming from, and how far was their driving distance (presumably he/she drove).

Triangle Mtn to Quadra/McKenzie area.

#6993 Dinya

Dinya
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

Both my buses were far emptier than normal today. Normally I notice them fuller on rainy days so that was weird.

Maybe like me in high school, if it was raining, I didn't go!  Also, doesn't ridership of UVic students drop off after the first few weeks as they decide that they don't in fact want to take that 8:30am class?

And speaking of which, why don’t we have charging ports on buses? That’s a fantastic perk.

Agreed!

#6994 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

usb charging ports seem easy.  low voltage and easy(ish) to install.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 September 2019 - 01:50 PM.

#6995 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

Maybe like me in high school, if it was raining, I didn't go!  Also, doesn't ridership of UVic students drop off after the first few weeks as they decide that they don't in fact want to take that 8:30am class?

sure but I was also talking about a 30 that only about 1 or 2 people get off at Uptown for so I don't think it had that many UVic students on it.

I also would like to see USB ports and that screen at the bottom of the stairs. They're already recording a feed for the driver (you can see it right above their head when you get on) so I don't think it would be that hard to split it to a second screen. 

#6996 Intercontinental

Intercontinental
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:10 PM

Usb charging ports aren’t durable - at least not on regular mass transit. I’ve been to a few places in the UK and Europe where I was thrilled to see them, only to find that 95% were damaged or no longer working. The airport buses (coach-style shuttles, not the integrated transit) seemed more reliable, but considering the difference in service type (and upmarket fare) that isn’t surprising.

#6997 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:38 AM

they have s limited life for sure. so does a typical 120 volt socket. you just have to replace them as needed.

you change the oil on the bus. you replace the tires. you fix the seats. you replace the USB sockets. they are rated for 1500 to 10000 cycles depending on type.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2019 - 12:43 AM.

#6998 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,468 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:12 AM

BC Transit has issued alerts for nearly a third of its routes due to anticipated disruptions from a protest near the legislature. The following routes are planned to be directly impacted and transit is warning commuters to expect delays throughout the downtown core which will affect overall transit services.

===

Friday, September 20, 2019 12:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m.
Government and Superior will be closed. Buses will start at Fairfield and Blanshard.
Detours as follows.

10 – James Bay – From Bay, Left Government, Right Pembroke ,Left Store to Wharf, Left Fort, Right Douglas, Right Superior

10 – Royal Jubilee – From Superior, Left Douglas, Right Bay.

30 & 31 Royal Oak – depart from Blanshard Terminus, Right Blanshard, Right Douglas.

30 & 31 Downtown – Left Burdett to Blanshard Terminus

Rte 32/47 & 48 – from Burdett at Penwell, Fairfield to Right Blanshard, Right Douglas.

Rte 50 – Langford – from (Bay A) Blanshard Terminus, Right Douglas to regular route.

Rte 50 – Downtown – Left Courtney, Right Quadra, Right Rupert Terrace to Fairfield to (Bay A)

Rte 61 Downtown – From Douglas, Left Burdett

Rte 61 & 65 Sooke - from Burdett at Penwell, Fairfield to Right Blanshard, Right Douglas.

Rte 70, 71 & 72- Swartz Bay – from (Bay A) Blanshard Terminus, Right Douglas to regular route.

Rte 70, 71 & 72- Downtown - Left Courtney, Right Quadra, Right Rupert Terrace to Fairfield to (Bay A)

Rte 75 –Saanichton Exchange – from (Bay A) Blanshard Terminus, Right Douglas to regular route.

Rte 75 – Downtown Left Courtney, Right Quadra, Right Rupert Terrace to Fairfield to (Bay A)

Know it all.

#6999 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 875 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:32 AM

Well that person upset about 4s squeezing down Rupert Terrace isn't going to be happy adding 50, 70, 72, 75 today
  • Mike K. likes this

#7000 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:49 AM

She added that there are no plans to build a “mega-facility” on the 3.8-hectare site at 2401 Burnside Rd. West, and that handyDART wil occupy just a third of the site.

Trevena said other potential benefits for View Royal are under consideration, including payments to the town and phasing out diesel handyDART buses in time for the facility’s opening in 2023.

https://www.timescol...fits-1.23953644

what does that mean?  are these vehicles going to be gasoline electric or natural gas?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 September 2019 - 05:51 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users