BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9614 replies to this topic

#7181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:52 AM

This same issue is repeated throughout 75% of the CRD's urbanized land mass.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:54 AM

look it's $2.50 for 80 minutes.  to go from vancouver to surrey (41 minutes) at peak it's $5.75 each way.  sooke get the best mileage for the price paid in all of victoria.

100-120 minutes.

And hey, I'm not saying $2.50 must be upheld. I've said in the past it shouldn't be that low, but that's what transit has decided. Transit fares should be higher, I agree, but the service should also be significantly better to make riding the bus a reasonable option, not a 120 minute option.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7183 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,320 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:55 AM

I think you know as well as most that increasing bus service so no one has to walk more than, say, 1 km, would be prohibitively expensive. Sooke may be due for a bump in service, and it doesn't seem onerous to me to make the loop through town both ways, but I'm also not the schedule guy.

#7184 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,778 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:55 AM

A couple driving into downtown Victoria in a diesel Jetta would each pay $1.50. That's simplistic, I know, as there is maintenance. So let's call it $2.00 per person.

all in cost of car ownership is roughly 50 cents per km.  so your figures are off. 

almost nobody is coming/going from sooke as a couple on transit either.  they are mostly singles.  social misfits youth the elderly and those with mental disorders etc.   essentially the same demographic that's going to surrey.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#7185 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:57 AM

Does it really get that much better in the core though?  

I live near the Stadacona tennis courts.  I work Quadra & Mckenzie.  It's a 11-14 minute drive, door to door depending on traffic, lights, etc.  It's 35+ on two buses with a transfer at Pandora and Quadra.  Not an area I really want to hang around at 7:30 am waiting for a bus that might not come.

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7186 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:59 AM

pop into 711 for your morning slurpee.  then step out when the bus comes. 711 is a mcgruff house.

programs_mcgruff.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 09:02 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#7187 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:59 AM

Everyone in Sooke better have gone to these workshops in February and better be planning to go to the open houses some point in the next couple months to make sure their voices are heard https://bctransit.co...t-updates/sooke
  • Mike K. likes this

#7188 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

pop into 711 for your morning slurpee.  then step out when the bus comes. 711 is a mcgruff house.

I don't want to see anyone at that time of morning, let alone bus riders and 7/11 clientele.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7189 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:17 AM

I think you know as well as most that increasing bus service so no one has to walk more than, say, 1 km, would be prohibitively expensive. Sooke may be due for a bump in service, and it doesn't seem onerous to me to make the loop through town both ways, but I'm also not the schedule guy.

I think getting rid of the loop issue will solve a lot of problems. Anyone who doesn’t want to wait at the layover needs to walk a considerable distance to the town centre, so you might as well catch the bus closer then wait on the bus.

On some occasions the drivers force everyone off the bus at these lengthier layovers.

Know it all.

#7190 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:33 AM

I wonder what the best way to solve this is. That loop is essentially how the 61 turns around so unless it just circles around the roundabout I'm not sure how it could serve the loop in both directions. I would suggest a commuter bus and time it so it meets the 61 somewhere (like they did with 72 and 87/88 for airport service) but that also brings up where does the 61 turnaround? 

From what I've seen with 50/61s during the day I do think there's enough people to run at least single deck 61s without combing with 50s (maybe alternate so every second trip is a 65 to make transfers to Langford easier and give Westhills direct downtown access during the day) and that would make it a little quicker but obviously I don't have access to if those trips just happen to be busy on the 50 anyway or if that many people are trying to get between Sooke and Saanich/Victoria during the day.

#7191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:14 AM

The double loop could also act like a shuttle into the town centre, so I wouldn’t be surprised if more people started taking advantage of it if it were available.

Today, with the walk to the stop, the wait, the ride into the town, then the 20-30 minute layover it’s a no-go for many people.

Know it all.

#7192 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:28 AM

B.C. Transit is still delivering more than 99 per cent of its scheduled services every day, which includes 3,200 trips on weekdays, said spokesman Jonathon Dyck.

https://www.timescol...ning-1.24006170

a 5-trip cancellation made the news.  we really are not in bad shape.  when 3195/3200 trips ran fine.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 November 2019 - 05:29 AM.

#7193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:23 AM

Many more are not published, they just don’t show.

Know it all.

#7194 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:25 AM

Many more are not published, they just don’t show.

well some buses are going to break down mid-run.

#7195 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:31 AM

With it being reading break for UVic (which ended today) I wonder why they would cancel a 6 and 27 when I'm sure there were other UVic routings that could have been cancelled and wouldn't have made that big an impact with the majority of passengers off the buses anyway. Sure students are going to the library or their prof's offices but I doubt that's happening at 8:30 AM. 

#7196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

well some buses are going to break down mid-run.

Then you’d see them mid-run on NextRide. Dispatch knows what’s going on, and it would be helpful if the system had real-time updates affecting riders, especially in the evenings when frequency is reduced.

Know it all.

#7197 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:00 AM

Then you’d see them mid-run on NextRide. Dispatch knows what’s going on, and it would be helpful if the system had real-time updates affecting riders, especially in the evenings when frequency is reduced.

Are you sure those are cancelled and not just late? A couple weeks ago I was waiting for a 31 at Uptown around 7:30ish and by the time it got there the 30 was almost supposed to have arrived which according to NextRide had barely started. According to the schedule that was about 10 mins late (31 should have been 7:26 and 30 7:39) so if you're waiting for a 50 one being that late would look like a trip was cancelled. I have no idea why they were so late or if that's a regular thing though.

#7198 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:06 AM

what would people think about the city and/or transit installing heated bus covers at fort and douglas both for buses leaving northbound on douglas and eastbound on fort?  i think it would be nice and probably only needed 30-45 days per year.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 November 2019 - 08:08 AM.

#7199 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,320 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:22 AM

Unnecessary expense.

• Nparker and shoeflack like this

#7200 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:29 AM

Someone would move in. It wouldn’t be pleasant

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users