Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9614 replies to this topic

#7221 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

...Website seems to indicate that all youths 18 and under will receive passes and not just 12-18 as earlier reported. ..

So I should expect to see preschoolers  and toddlers taking buses by themselves?

#7222 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:22 PM

So I should expect to see preschoolers  and toddlers taking buses by themselves?

You may see 9-11 year olds that is for sure. 

#7223 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

You may see 9-11 year olds that is for sure. 

Well I probably won't because I avoid riding the bus as much as possible. It was more of a hypothetical question.

#7224 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,782 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:08 PM

m-f 8 to 4:30 at city hall. very convenient for grade school students.
  • Midnightly likes this

#7225 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

Note the following:

- International Student Identification Card

This is eligible for “proof of age.” So it looks like international students will also qualify?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7226 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:19 PM

kid has to show up with this:

Any two (2) of the following documents:

• Current property tax statement
  • Current home owner insurance documents
  • Current renter insurance documents
  • Current Utility Bill with address (City of Victoria, BC Hydro, Shaw, Telus etc)
  • Current Canadian bank statement with address
  • Current credit card statement with address
  • Current BC Vehicle registration with address
  • Valid BC Driver’s license with address
  • Valid BC Identification card with address
  • Purchase agreement for home
  • A rental agreement or lease signed with landlord’s contact phone number
  • Current year property Notice of Assessment (BC Assessment)
  • Income tax notice of assessment issued in current year

i don't know many kids that have that. 

ok seriously though as so many kids are in "non-traditional" families i guess the above does not need to match  their surname.  just the fact they have it in hand i guess is good enough.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 November 2019 - 06:21 PM.

#7227 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

Mayor Helps on CFAX this morning suggesting that parking rates will increase to cover the cost of free bus passes. No surprise there. She also stated that bus passes will be serialized and tied to an individual so that if they are sold online the City will know where it came from. If true, I wonder if the City will be disclosing that they will be retaining the personal information of minors when issuing the passes.

#7228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:07 AM

I knew it!

This is a very convenient way of saying "well, we had no choice but to raise parking rates."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7229 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

I wish someone would call them on the "free" aspect of this program. The passes aren't free, they are subsidized. There is a huge difference.

#7230 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:24 AM

I knew it!

This is a very convenient way of saying "well, we had no choice but to raise parking rates."

She referenced a study on "the high cost of free parking" so guess what is going to be first on the chopping block. The Mayor also suggested that new assessment revenue would help pay for an expanded bus program. Glad to hear that we are getting so much benefit from new assessments. I wonder why tax rates are still planned to increase at more than 2x the inflation rate then if we have so much new money coming in?!

#7231 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

So hold on, she did not explicitly say parking rates will rise?

Know it all.

#7232 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

So hold on, she did not explicitly say parking rates will rise?

I said that she was "suggesting that parking rates would increase". She didn't explicitly state that they would rise. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. She danced around Al's question on whether the money was coming from and how much it was going to cost.

Edited by spanky123, 20 November 2019 - 08:29 AM.

#7233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

If she'd like to meter free spots (like 1hr or 2hr free stalls) that's not quite as big of a deal as raising rates. Or did she say rates would rise, definitively in those terms/similar terms?

Know it all.

#7234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:29 AM

Ok, we-cross posted there. Ok, so the topic has come up for discussion, and the likelihood is changes to the parking regime downtown. Gotcha.

Know it all.

#7235 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:24 AM

She referenced a study on "the high cost of free parking" so guess what is going to be first on the chopping block. The Mayor also suggested that new assessment revenue would help pay for an expanded bus program. Glad to hear that we are getting so much benefit from new assessments. I wonder why tax rates are still planned to increase at more than 2x the inflation rate then if we have so much new money coming in?!

"This High Cost of Free Parking" is a textbook that covers quite a bit of material aside from how much to charge for parking. The author's key take-aways for government are reforming or removing required parking rates in new development, allowing greater market influence on the price of parking, and returning parking revenue to the neighbourhood for investment in community centres, maintenance, boulevard plantings, etc.

#7236 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:12 AM

I saw a bus with the front sign saying "Test Pattern" and "not in service" and the back "16x48" and "Test"
Anyone know what they're testing? New way of displaying interlined routes like 7/21?

#7237 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

Mayor Helps on CFAX this morning suggesting that parking rates will increase to cover the cost of free bus passes. No surprise there. She also stated that bus passes will be serialized and tied to an individual so that if they are sold online the City will know where it came from. If true, I wonder if the City will be disclosing that they will be retaining the personal information of minors when issuing the passes.

well that makes some sense. I don’t think it will stop the trade in passes though. it’s not like drivers will look at serial numbers.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#7238 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:56 PM

There will be no Translink service at all (skytrain, bus, sea bus, etc) Wednesday, Thursday or Friday next week https://bc.ctvnews.c...tdown-1.4694033

#7239 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

There will be no Translink service at all (skytrain, bus, sea bus, etc) Wednesday, Thursday or Friday next week https://bc.ctvnews.c...tdown-1.4694033

There absolutely will be SkyTrain service. Let's not get carried away sharing misinformation.

Edited by vortoozo, 20 November 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#7240 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

There absolutely will be SkyTrain service. Let's not get carried away sharing misinformation.

my bad I was just listing their services to try and make sure people didn't think I was talking about BC Transit and added it in the wrong spot

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users