Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9618 replies to this topic

#7401 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

since that seemed to work (no idea why uploading doesn't) here's all the proposed maps:

Cardova: 

32: https://static.simpl...C0-1DA36EBC0C59

33: https://static.simpl...87-7267B0D9F336

35: https://static.simpl...23-438B4E2E10AD

25: https://static.simpl...52-FDDB9048E9AA

(6 is no different from regular 6) 

Esquimalt:

15: https://static.simpl...F7-A79716E7AF84

19/20: https://static.simpl...1F-A490E1FBCF3B

24/25: https://static.simpl...D7-6827F2275926

10/14 maps exact same as current, 40/53 same as Burnside.

#7402 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:21 PM

I think the extension of the 25 to Royal Oak via Blenkinsop is an excellent idea. The population of the Blenkinsop Valley is sparse but people do live there. It's probably the biggest transit dead zone in the core. However, I don't know why they don't use Quadra instead of Blenkinsop for the proposed 33 route. North Quadra doesn't have any direct connections to UVic unless you live within walking distance to McKenzie. It seems weird to me that residents of Blenkinsop would have more direct transit connections than those near Quadra Street.

#7403 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

^ Great suggestion - perhaps they can do something with the 17 routing instead of adding 33
  • Brantastic likes this

#7404 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,794 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:57 PM

i'm not so sure about any of this.  the 25 to royal oak via belnkinsop does not seem to really connect any bits of the city that would seem natural.

#7405 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

I remember reading something they wanted to focus on transit hubs and crosstown routes. Looking at other area plans making the 25 go to Royal Oak makes sense. Most routes that terminate by themselves somewhere have proposals to terminate in other hubs (8 to Jubilee hospital, 22 downtown) or adding additional things (23/24/25 terminating at Tillicum Mall). I wouldn't be surprised if they have 24 go to UVic and 12 just loop back to UVic for example.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7406 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:22 PM

I think the extension of the 25 to Royal Oak via Blenkinsop is an excellent idea. The population of the Blenkinsop Valley is sparse but people do live there. It's probably the biggest transit dead zone in the core. However, I don't know why they don't use Quadra instead of Blenkinsop for the proposed 33 route. North Quadra doesn't have any direct connections to UVic unless you live within walking distance to McKenzie. It seems weird to me that residents of Blenkinsop would have more direct transit connections than those near Quadra Street.

In the early 2000s, there was a '6 UVic' route with two weekday AM trips and one PM trip between Royal Oak and UVic, via W. Saanich, Quadra, and McKenzie. So such a route has existed before. 

#7407 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

I really think BC Transit needs to do some kind of overhaul of the schedule, specifically with routes that have very similar portions. For example the last 51 of the morning starts at Glanford rather than Langford at 9:04. I decided to take it today as it follows a 16 (only 3 stops until they meet) and neither had that many people on them. Both were single deck but with all these trip cancellations that still seems like a waste. 9s also regularly go up Hillside just after 4s, sometimes DD 4s that just started at Kings, 8s almost always go up Interurban around the same time as a 21, etc. I know they schedule routes as a whole rather than 1 part but would shifting schedules a bit to not have two mostly empty buses heading to the same place sitting right next to each other not be a little better? Maybe if there's say a 8 minute gap after a 4 that a 9 comes the next 4 can be 7 minutes after than 9 rather than 2 minutes for example. Still reaches the "within 15 minute service" requirement but spreads out the service a bit.

#7408 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

I really think BC Transit needs to do some kind of overhaul of the schedule, specifically with routes that have very similar portions. For example the last 51 of the morning starts at Glanford rather than Langford at 9:04. I decided to take it today as it follows a 16 (only 3 stops until they meet) and neither had that many people on them. Both were single deck but with all these trip cancellations that still seems like a waste. 9s also regularly go up Hillside just after 4s, sometimes DD 4s that just started at Kings, 8s almost always go up Interurban around the same time as a 21, etc. I know they schedule routes as a whole rather than 1 part but would shifting schedules a bit to not have two mostly empty buses heading to the same place sitting right next to each other not be a little better? Maybe if there's say a 8 minute gap after a 4 that a 9 comes the next 4 can be 7 minutes after than 9 rather than 2 minutes for example. Still reaches the "within 15 minute service" requirement but spreads out the service a bit.

Schedule consistency is important. Knowing that your route runs every 15 minutes or every 20 minutes during a certain part of the day. Your proposal would cause timing to be all over the map.

Running a DD on the #4 right before the 9 makes sense if the 9 can't handle all of the traffic without getting delayed. The #4 takes care of the local boardings along that segment and that ensure the #9 doesn't get too bogged down for it's riders.

#7409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

The #9? First I've heard of this route.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:39 AM

VICTORIA – BC Transit is seeking public input and feedback through open houses in the Esquimalt and View Royal local areas for phase two of the Local Area Transit Plans on February 5, February 10 and February 14.

Changes under consideration in the Esquimalt and View Royal areas include improvements to local transit routes, implementing new routes to service local areas, and realigning existing routes to increase service efficiency.

Feedback gathered through these public consultations will help BC Transit to develop recommendations to the Victoria Regional Transit Commission on how to improve existing services and identify future service needs.

Open house schedule

Wednesday, February 5

Esquimalt Recreation Centre

3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.

527 Fraser St

Monday, February 10

View Royal Community Hall

6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

279 Island Hwy

Friday, February 14

Songhees Wellness Centre - Boardroom

1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

1100 Admirals Rd

Members of the public who are unable to attend the open houses are invited to provide their feedback through an online survey available at https://form.simples...ltBroadmeadLATP until February 28.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7411 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

The #9? First I've heard of this route.

Was added a year ago, goes from Royal Oak to UVic through Interurban/Tillicum/Gorge/Hillside. They proposed giving it 15 minute service in the Burnside survey (currently only runs during rush at seemingly random)
  • Mike K. likes this

#7412 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:11 PM

Schedule consistency is important. Knowing that your route runs every 15 minutes or every 20 minutes during a certain part of the day. Your proposal would cause timing to be all over the map.

Running a DD on the #4 right before the 9 makes sense if the 9 can't handle all of the traffic without getting delayed. The #4 takes care of the local boardings along that segment and that ensure the #9 doesn't get too bogged down for it's riders.

I think especially if they're going to boost 9 to 15 minute service 4 could be cut back to also that level and have them offset so one goes then 7-8 minutes later is the other one, etc. That would boost the current service Hillside gets and not have the two constantly running together almost empty.

#7413 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

I remember a survey last year, or possibly the year before that, that was talking about reducing the frequency of the 4 and 21 in favour of increasing service on the 9.  

Heading away from UVic, the 4s and 9s are spaced 5min apart according to the schedule.  By the time they leave UVic, the 9 and the 4 either before or after have bunched up due to a combination of late driver starts, the pedestrians that trickle through the crosswalks on Ring, and the added stop from someone who rode the bus from the UVic exchange over to the Arts building. 

#7414 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:34 AM

Just what I want, reduction of service on the #21, the most common bus in my neighbourhood

#7415 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

Just what I want, reduction of service on the #21, the most common bus in my neighbourhood

it was 11 not 21 they typo'd  

Attached Images

• 11.png

#7416 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

The #11 Route needs some serious changes in the area to the west of Tillicum road.   The very long loop it does through the neighbourhood west of Tillicum road wastes a lot of time.   You get on at Tillicum mall to go downtown but first you go all the way out to Admirals.   I understand the need for service on Gorge Road and along Cowper/Obed but it is not throughout at all well.   Make the #11 only go along Gorge, reroute the #22 to turn down Mckenzie, cross over to Admirals and then run along Cowper/Obed and then via the mall get back onto Burnside.    I use the #22, there is very few people who get on or off the bus on Burnside between Interurban and Mckenzie.   Almost all of them get off close to Mckenzie.   This change would also be a benefit for the students going to Spectrum that live in the Gorge area.

#7417 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

The #11 Route needs some serious changes in the area to the west of Tillicum road.   The very long loop it does through the neighbourhood west of Tillicum road wastes a lot of time.   You get on at Tillicum mall to go downtown but first you go all the way out to Admirals.   I understand the need for service on Gorge Road and along Cowper/Obed but it is not throughout at all well.   Make the #11 only go along Gorge, reroute the #22 to turn down Mckenzie, cross over to Admirals and then run along Cowper/Obed and then via the mall get back onto Burnside.    I use the #22, there is very few people who get on or off the bus on Burnside between Interurban and Mckenzie.   Almost all of them get off close to Mckenzie.   This change would also be a benefit for the students going to Spectrum that live in the Gorge area.

In the same proposal they have a 23 route from VGH which replaces 22's service of Holland/Wilkinson (essentially making all 22s into 22A) and ends at Tillicum Mall with a potential for servicing those neighbourhoods listed. They also have the 24/25 proposed to continue to Tillicum Mall with one using Gorge/Tillicum and the other using Admirals/Cowper/Obed. I would imagine that area doesn't need 4 routes so the plan would be make the 11 more direct although I guess it was never specified. 

#7418 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:08 PM

Combining the Jubilee plan and the 24/25 extension to Tillicum: If the Obed/Cowper/Gorge area is transferred to the 24/25 with 30 minute frequency, and the Arbutus-Cadboro-Uplands area transferred to the new potential route 18, and frequency on the 9 increased, is there a reason for the 11's continued existence?  (The proposed 11 revised route travels Finnerty-Sinclair-Cadboro Bay-Cedar Hill X-Henderson-Foul Bay-Fort)  Is the ridership to Cadboro Bay Village high enough to warrant it?

Edited by kenmuir, 31 January 2020 - 06:10 PM.

#7419 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

Why are you getting on the #11 to go downtown if you're at Tillicum Centre?

#7420 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:26 PM

Combining the Jubilee plan and the 24/25 extension to Tillicum: If the Obed/Cowper/Gorge area is transferred to the 24/25 with 30 minute frequency, and the Arbutus-Cadboro-Uplands area transferred to the new potential route 18, and frequency on the 9 increased, is there a reason for the 11's continued existence?  (The proposed 11 revised route travels Finnerty-Sinclair-Cadboro Bay-Cedar Hill X-Henderson-Foul Bay-Fort)  Is the ridership to Cadboro Bay Village high enough to warrant it?

to get downtown from along Gorge I guess. I hope they keep the Uplands routing though as I know a lot of people do transfer to the 4 or 14 than are heading to UVic but that sudden jut at Cedar Hill Cross road before getting to the exchange makes no sense

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)