Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9597 replies to this topic

#7581 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:01 AM

When will BCT start to adhere to Social Distancing on the buses. For the most part the buses are able to do this to lower ridership. However there are times when the bus fills up and people are sitting right next to each other
  • Sparky likes this

#7582 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:30 AM

^ This is the crock with social distancing. Applies in some cases but not others.

#7583 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:09 AM

Counted 12 buses on Henderson between UVic & Camosun in a 40 min period between 9:10 & 9:50. Not 1 had a passenger on board

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7584 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,317 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:11 AM

social distancing!

#7585 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:57 AM

Counted 12 buses on Henderson between UVic & Camosun in a 40 min period between 9:10 & 9:50. Not 1 had a passenger on board

I was walking up Carey a couple days ago and both a 30 and 31 passed me (probably around 9:40ish) heading downtown with 0 people as well. I'm not sure how they can enforce social distancing since that does seem to be the majority of trips but every once in a while one does get full so do they just not pick the person up despite there being room on the bus and potentially with the cancellations the next one is an hour away?

• rjag likes this

#7586 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:09 AM

🚌BC Transit to limit number of passengers for physical distancing🚌

From the organization:

BC Transit is taking additional measures to support physical distancing by reducing the number of passengers on board BC Transit buses.

As of Monday, March 30, our transit operators will be monitoring passenger capacity based on direction from BC Transit operations. This will allow additional space in-between customers, and provide space for people to move within the bus if they feel necessary. With changes at post-secondary schools, primary and secondary schools, businesses and government agencies, BC Transit has seen a decrease in ridership of about 50 to 70 per cent depending on the transit system.

We do not anticipate pass-ups with this change based on current ridership statistics, and if there are pass-ups we will track the instances through our normal process and make adjustments are required. We ask customers to please leave plenty of time for their transit trip to allow for physical distancing, and thank our customers for their patience.

BC Transit has already implemented the following physical distancing measures:
🔹Rear door loading, except for those with accessible needs
🔹Not collecting fares
🔹Enhancing the red line for customers to remain behind to provide physical distance from the operator
🔹Promoting good etiquette on transit for physical distance including providing space for other customers and checking passenger loads before traveling
🔹We are also reviewing service levels in communities across the province, and will continue to make adjustments based on resource availability and ensuring appropriate physical distancing can be practiced.

We are continuing to be there for those that need transportation services including people going to work at healthcare facilities and other critical services, and going for a weekly grocery trip.

If you have questions or comments, please contact your local transit office through BCTransit.com or call your local transit office.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7587 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:10 AM

Why are the busses still running?

I don’t think doctors, nurses, police ride the bus.

Somebody PLEASE shut the bus system down.

#7588 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

Mass transit can do nothing but hamper recovery.

#7589 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,317 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

Mass transit can do nothing but hamper recovery.

how would poor people deliver groceries and medicine to the front porch for their grandparents?  kids, seniors, and a growing portion of adults in between do not drive.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2020 - 11:18 AM.

#7590 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:17 AM

We do have lots of grocery stores open, pharmacies... many of those employees aren't driving.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7591 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

There is more societal reliance on the transit system in 2020 by all walks of life than there would have been even in 2010. Just consider how few parking stalls there are in new condos, quite often 2/3s as many as the units within, which are about 1/2 dual occupied. So out of a 100-unit building, dozens of individuals will not have access to a car down below.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7592 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:53 AM

I know quite a few nurses who ride the bus. Watch the stops at VJH or Vic General around of shift change. Plenty of scrubs going on and off the bus. And as was also mentioned, lots of grocery store and other "essential services" employees do as well.

From my observations downtown, the most I'm seeing on any one bus are 5 or 6 people.

That all being said, with more and more people away from work, I think there are a lot more instanced of family/housemates being able to drive those above to work, but still lots of them who rely on the bus to get to their job.

#7593 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:00 PM

one of the proposed changes for the Burnside service change is having a 22 reach VGH for first shift and better service from westshore also relating to shift changes so nurses are taking them

#7594 Matt in Langford

Matt in Langford
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

I am a health care worker and I ride the bus to work.

#7595 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:07 PM

^ This disease will not quit multiplying until you stop doing that.

https://www.timescol...home-1.24107292

#7596 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:15 PM

That's why they should offer free parking for the essential services that still have to come in to work. Or, the work should be paying for it. Everyone else is getting compensated for their disruption or change of work.

#7597 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

There should be free parking for EVERYONE who has to go any where near a hospital! Those who work there, those who have the misfortune to need the service and the folks who come to visit and pick up the sick.

The parking thing is one more stressor hospital people don't need. 

I'm not a medical employee but one who has has needed hospital services more than I would like.

#7598 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:32 PM

This is a code red people. The bus has no place in curbing this disease.

#7599 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,317 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:05 AM

“Empty bus transmission” rates are not high. that’s not how many people will be infected.

stop touching your face. that’s the #1 way to be infected.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2020 - 02:06 AM.

#7600 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:03 AM

So how are the essential service workers that rely on the bus going to get to work? Unless you think a bunch of people are just riding the bus to.... somewhere that's apparently still open for fun I'm sure everyone on the bus right now is either an essential service worker than doesn't have access to a car or someone who needs those services and doesn't have access to a car.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users