Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#7981 splashflash

splashflash
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:08 AM

Anyone have a link to ridership by route for the buses? I have searched the BC Transit website but cannot find anything.

#7982 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:46 AM

I know I've seen it given in some past commission meetings but don't recall seeing it at all this year, went and checked through last year and don't see it there either. They might not have done 2020 reports since ridership in general was a lot lower but I can't check further back right now https://www.bctransi...ission/meetings

#7983 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:49 AM

Some reports would individualize a couple of routes, but there has never been, at least not to my recollection, a route-by-route breakdown made public.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7984 splashflash

splashflash
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:03 AM

Thanks. No individual routes as you say, except a few cases. Here is the breakdown by region from the last meeting.

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20210624-071905.png

#7985 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:27 AM

I remember one of them had a thing with the top 10 busiest routes and some ridership data for each route (if I remember correctly the routes were 4, 6, 11, 14, 15, 26, 27/28, 30/31, 50, 70 or 72)

#7986 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:39 AM

Foot passengers on BC Ferries will now be able to book in advance on three major routes between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

As of Thursday, foot passengers can reserve online for Tsawwassen – Swartz Bay, Tsawwassen – Duke Point and Horseshoe Bay – Departure Bay routes.

BC Ferries says there will be no additional cost for this service. However, Seniors and students will need to check-in with a ticket agent at the terminal to redeem advanced bookings made online.

This is due to seniors needing proof of age and students needing proof of enrolment.

Automated kiosks will be in service for other foot passenger customers to redeem prepaid bookings.

https://www.victoria...V-jep_ulNqvfz6c

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 June 2021 - 12:39 AM.

#7987 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 07:05 AM

June 28 service changes. Mostly the usual ones (minus boosting tourist oriented routes) with service level changes to 7/21 (seems to be for weekends) and 53 now terminating at VGH instead of Colwood https://www.bctransi...d=1529712676905

53 also seems to have a trip in the morning extending downtown and one in the evening from downtown now. 

10 Royal Jubilee detour (turning left onto Wharf from Government rather than continuing on Government to Pandora) now seems to be permanent according to Next Ride (still says the route is following a detour but that area is now a solid line rather than dashed). Makes sense as 10 James Bay was using Wharf anyway. 10 also no longer stops at the Legislature Exchange with the closest stop being Superior/Menzies and 75 was moved to the bay 30/31 use (10 used to stop there) with 53 using the bay 75 used to be in with 32 (meaning only two trips a day now use that bay)

• Mike K. likes this

#7988 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:42 AM

What do we think will be announced?

VICTORIA – Join Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Rob Fleming, Victoria Regional Transit Commission Chair Susan Brice, BC Transit Vice President of Business Development Christy Ridout, CRD Chair Colin Plant and Mayor of Colwood Rob Martin for an exciting announcement about the future of rapid transit in the Capital Region.

Media are invited to attend announcement:
Date: Wednesday, June 30
Time: 2:15 p.m.
Location: Colwood Transit Exchange – Westshore Recreation Centre – 1767 Island Hwy
Following the announcement there will be a brief media availability.

Please note that appropriate physical distancing and current COVID-19 protocols will be in place for the announcement.
Attendees are asked to bring their own water.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7989 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:47 AM

it says “rapid” transit so it’s probably not about the 45-minute boat.

some electric bus-trains would be OK.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 June 2021 - 08:48 AM.

#7990 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:20 AM

I know this isn't real rapid transit but wouldn't be surprised if it's just extending the bus lanes through Colwood to Sooke

• Matt R. likes this

#7991 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:24 AM

it says “rapid” transit so it’s probably not about the 45-minute boat.

Giant slingshot.  Or maybe VHF's dream of a zipline will come true?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7992 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:28 AM

#7993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 11:32 AM

Sounds like some more buses for the West Shore-Downtown corridor, and limited stop service.

Womp, womp...

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#7994 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:45 PM

express buses are kinda weak here. If you're on 14/15 or 16/26 at the parts they share their route you'll notice they basically run alongside each other the entire time anyway. Even though the 14/26 have more scheduled stops they mostly just stop where 15/16 do anyway with a few extra stops. You may get like a couple minutes ahead so I'll usually take the express route over the other if I'm going somewhere they both do but I'd never really request it (unless they do something extreme like only stops at Westhills Exchange, Langford Exchange, Colwood Exchange, Uptown, Douglas/Hillside, Douglas/Fort but I'm sure it will have far more stops, probably every single one between Uptown and Legislature) 

#7995 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:25 AM

Masks no longer required but recommended on board starting tomorrow https://www.bctransi...art&utm_term=BC
  • Nparker likes this

#7996 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:40 AM

express buses are kinda weak here. If you're on 14/15 or 16/26 at the parts they share their route you'll notice they basically run alongside each other the entire time anyway. Even though the 14/26 have more scheduled stops they mostly just stop where 15/16 do anyway with a few extra stops. You may get like a couple minutes ahead so I'll usually take the express route over the other if I'm going somewhere they both do but I'd never really request it (unless they do something extreme like only stops at Westhills Exchange, Langford Exchange, Colwood Exchange, Uptown, Douglas/Hillside, Douglas/Fort but I'm sure it will have far more stops, probably every single one between Uptown and Legislature) 

if they really want to up their game they would have one leave the park and ride(s?) every 4 minutes in the morning.  and always one there.  you park you car, you get in the first bus in the queue, and it always leaves within 4 minutes or less.   when it leaves there is already another there.  nobody has to stand and wait outside ever.  and it only stops at the hospital and uptown.  then from hillside and all drops south from there. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2021 - 09:43 AM.

#7997 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:05 AM

I wish they would try more express routing in general. Why not have a 75X in the summer that just stops along Douglas and nothing else until Butchart (and either turn around there or have the only other stop the exchange). Or why not have 76 run more often but a little more than just UVic/Swartz Bay stops (probably one in Sidney, Royal Oak, McKenzie/Quadra, maybe a couple others along McKenzie) and have it as a real quick way for people in Sidney or Royal Oak to get to McKenzie/UVic. Also 61X that was retired for 65 for some reason.
  • Nparker likes this

#7998 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:12 AM

Masks no longer required but recommended on board starting tomorrow https://www.bctransi...art&utm_term=BC

vic news uses odd headline:

Masks still required on transit across B.C.

Despite mask requirements lifting July 1, transit customers will need a face covering

You will still have to wear a mask past July 1 if you want to ride B.C. transit.

Following the guidance of the Provincial Health Officer and WorkSafeBC, and in alignment with TransLink, BC Transit is recommending the use of face coverings in BC Transit communities across the province beginning Thursday, July 1.

While B.C. moves into Stage 3 of the restart plan, which includes the easing of face mask requirements, BC Transit and TransLink have made the decision that masks will continue to recommend face masks.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2021 - 10:13 AM.

#7999 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:13 AM

Guess I will continue to avoid taking the bus for a while longer.

#8000 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:45 AM

Did Vic News not even read it 

GLOBAL – Following the guidance of the Provincial Health Officer and WorkSafeBC, and in alignment with TransLink, BC Transit will be recommending the use of face coverings in BC Transit communities across the province beginning Thursday, July 1.

Not sure in what world "recommending" means "requiring" 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users