Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#8121 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:25 AM

BC Transit says riders should brace for scheduling issues over the next few days with snow and freezing rain in the forecast.

I’m not sure where the freezing rain forecast originates from but they mentioned it.

where does snow come from too? Unless this was just a BC-wide notification which is kinda useless all I've seen on our weather forecast for the next week is rain and clouds. 

• Nparker likes this

#8122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:48 AM

I suppose the are referring to routes that will see snow when other parts of the region see rain.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8123 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:40 AM

Wouldn't that be Sooke https://www.theweath...-columbia/sooke

or North Saanich https://www.theweath...a/north-saanich

Both also only report rain and clouds for the next week (used Weather Network since Environment Canada just directs both to "Victoria" although Victoria is based on the airport apparently) 

#8124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:46 AM

It’s a bit tricky, I guess. At 2C it could rain or snow, and there will be areas in those communities where it will snow, so they’re letting everyone know that random delays will occur. I’m sure Bear Mountain will see lots of snow, as will Triangle Mountain, Westhills, and Metchosin/Highlands.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8125 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:09 PM

Victoria – BC Transit is offering free service after 6 pm on New Year’s Eve in the Victoria Regional Transit System, following regular late evening service.

https://www.bctransi...d=1529714851922

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8126 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:13 PM

There are more and more buses being dropped off daily schedules with every day that passes.

It's actually quite shocking if you depend on transit.

It almost has to be related to lack of drivers, as much as B.C. Transit won't actually say what's going on ... it can really only be nobody to drive the buses.

#8127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:19 PM

Maybe the free buses on New Year's Eve will be a "drive yourself" scheme.

#8128 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 07:12 PM

It’s a bit tricky, I guess. At 2C it could rain or snow, and there will be areas in those communities where it will snow, so they’re letting everyone know that random delays will occur. I’m sure Bear Mountain will see lots of snow, as will Triangle Mountain, Westhills, and Metchosin/Highlands.

A skiff at BM, mostly melted.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8129 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:35 AM

so many 28 cancellations today they couldn't even fit it in one Tweet and had to take a screenshot https://twitter.com/...548692989726730

#8130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:40 AM

I understand the lack of available drivers is at least partially related to those who have been put on unpaid leave for refusing to show proof of COVID vaccination.

#8131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:04 AM

Not that many drivers were impacted, but when you’re already struggling with human resources even five fewer drivers will present a major challenge for scheduling.

Know it all.

#8132 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:45 PM

I understand the lack of available drivers is at least partially related to those who have been put on unpaid leave for refusing to show proof of COVID vaccination.

the policy was implemented October 8, we didn't start getting more than like two trip cancellations until around Remembrance Day just over a month later and it didn't get this bad until early December two months later. I guess the current issues could be the required two shots starting November 29 but seems weird you would be willing to get one shot but not a second. I don't think the timeline really lines up though.

I wonder if it's just people taking end of the year time off and they don't have enough drivers able to sub in or do overtime. They don't seem to think Kelona will be better in January though so that's probably not it either. 

#8133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:11 PM

As I said, forced vaccinations are just one contributing factor, but certainly not the only reason staffing levels are currently running low.

#8134 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:21 AM

January service changes:

64 reroute to provide service to Beecher Bay and additional service to Langford Exchange

1 and 22 detours becoming permanent reroutes

2 Willows now a separate route (5 Willows/James Bay. 

4, 14, 15, 26, 39 service increase

4, 9, 26, 39, 50, 51, 61, 65 service times adjusted due to traffic delays

Looks like still no 16 or 76 returning. The 26 Uptown Only trips are now scheduled although they aren't running between 10 and 2

#8135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:26 AM

Service increase following December decrease, or actually more frequency compared to January of 2020?

And where will all of this new frequency come from if there is a driver shortage?

Know it all.

#8136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 08:33 AM

...And where will all of this new frequency come from if there is a driver shortage?

It's an increase on paper. Expect lots of trip cancellations come January.

#8137 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,877 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 08:34 AM

I guess I picked a bad time to start my Omicron Express private BC Ferries connector bus.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#8138 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 08:50 AM

It is somewhat odd pretty much every other service change they've posted for January has a decrease. Technically Victoria isn't getting any "increases" but rather reverting the schedule decrease that happened in December (and as noted not even fully, the 26 Uptown Only were running all day not just peak hours from Sept-Nov).

Maybe in Victoria the sudden issue is people using up their left over holidays? My dad used to do that until they started paying for any unused holidays and no idea how that works at Transit. It was getting worse from about mid-November but still manageable with only about ten-fifteen trips a day cancelled if memory serves so they were able to handle essentially the January schedule from September until early December. 

#8139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 08:54 AM

Yes, that’s a good point, Cats.

Know it all.

#8140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:21 AM

...Technically Victoria isn't getting any "increases" but rather reverting the schedule decrease that happened in December ...

Classic chocolate rationing logic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users