BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#8661 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:54 AM

I mean, Duncan has a direct transit connection to downtown Victoria now. So does Shawnigan.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8662 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:55 AM

The least impacted guy by the transit changes for Sooke, is the most ardent supporter of those changes, and dismisses feedback from people who are impacted, as irrelevant.

‍♀

People naturally do not like change...  I'm not necessarily a supporter just being told half truths so I try to point out the good parts.  There are no clouds here to scream at.  Your concern is about transferring to another bus and paying for a longer service than others paid.  Your argument is it's been like that for years so why change.  It's being change to provide more bus options for you, which if I recall the past many year you have complained about.  Here they are adding more and you don't even mention it because you have to transfer.  Are you telling me ridership will go down with more buses running? 

• vortoozo likes this

#8663 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,846 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:56 AM

I mean, Duncan has a direct transit connection to downtown Victoria now. So does Shawnigan.

Rush hour only though M-F. Sooke also has that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2023 - 07:56 AM.

#8664 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:57 AM

Yes, multiple tiny pockets. It makes no sense to provide them all with direct service.

But for a decade or more up to and including April 9th it has made sense to provide it to Sooke.

But BCT say it doesn’t after April 10. Since they now have an orange express bus that appears to service less stops and mostly runs slower than the current #50.

Yes again, things change...  It never made sense to me you could ride for over an hour trip for $2.50 either but you could.  Most trips that long in other cities have a 2 zone charge.  We have had it in the past.  Sooke now has more buses.  It's a win/lose...  Anyway we will see how it works...

Edited by Ismo07, 29 March 2023 - 07:59 AM.

• GaryOak likes this

#8665 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:01 AM

I have spoken about the lack of service within Sooke, yes.

I have also raised the issue of how Sooke-bound buses from downtown get full with Langford-bound passengers, and Sooke-bound passengers cannot board. I provided a photo of this scenario from the other day.

The issues I’ve raised are not addressed by having to transfer to another bus if I don’t leave Sooke by ~7:40AM, when direct downtown service ends, and pay an extra $2.50, nor will the 95 keep Langford-bound or upper Douglas-bound passengers from boarding the Sooke buses in PM rush hour. Hopefully, the PM issue is resolved, but it’s unlikely to be resolved as people catch the first bus that comes along.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8666 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:03 AM

I have spoken about the lack of service within Sooke, yes.

I have also raised the issue of how Sooke-bound buses from downtown get full with Langford-bound or upper Douglas-bound passengers, and Sooke-bound passengers cannot board. I provided a photo of this scenario from the other day.

The issues I’ve raised are not addressed by having to transfer to another bus if I don’t leave Sooke by ~7:40AM, when direct downtown service ends, and pay an extra $2.50.

Now that will be another benefit. Langford folks will no longer board Sooke buses.. Sooke folks will have more options...
  • GaryOak likes this

#8667 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,846 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:03 AM

Yes again, things change... It never made sense to me you could ride for over an hour trip for $2.50 either but you could. Most trips that long in other cities have a 2 zone charge. We have had it in the past. Sooke now has more buses. It's a win/lose... Anyway we will see how it works...

Some places also charge higher fares at rush hour peak. Sooke riders now pay half the price at rush hour peak. Does that make any sense?

Sooke riders, riding on the same day and the same distance, have to pay an extra $2.50 for the privilege of changing buses mid-trip.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2023 - 08:05 AM.

#8668 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:04 AM

Rush hour only though M-F. Sooke also has that.

Saturday service, too, and Sooke doesn’t have that. BCT is working on expanding the Cowichan service as we speak.

Know it all.

#8669 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,846 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:06 AM

The Cowichan bus isn’t $2.50 or even $5 any day of the week.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2023 - 08:06 AM.

#8670 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:07 AM

Now that will be another benefit. Langford folks will no longer board Sooke buses.. Sooke folks will have more options...

Nobody is going to pass up a bus, just to take an orange bus. Why would you? There’s no time savings in it.

Know it all.

#8671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:08 AM

The Cowichan bus isn’t $2.50 or even $5 any day of the week.

Sure is convenient though.

It costs more to drive to downtown from Sooke than to take the bus. People will pay for convenience.

Know it all.

#8672 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:13 AM

Nobody is going to pass up a bus, just to take an orange bus. Why would you? There’s no time savings in it.

I thought there won't be a downtown Sooke bus anymore..?  Only Sooke to Langford...So every bus will be an option for Sooke folks.. Sure some will lead to some waiting times, but Langford folks will now be spread out over more runs.

Some places also charge higher fares at rush hour peak. Sooke riders now pay half the price at rush hour peak. Does that make any sense?

Sooke riders, riding on the same day and the same distance, have to pay an extra $2.50 for the privilege of changing buses mid-trip.

Maybe I'm not understanding, after April 10th they won't be paying half price at rush hour.  Again I thought there are no buses that go Downtown to Sooke anymore.

Yes daily they pay $10 each day to ride Sooke to downtown every day.  Or they get the monthly pass..  That right, right?

#8673 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:16 AM

PM rush has downtown-Sooke service, AM rush has Sooke-downtown service.

Sooke riders have asked for a pick-up only service until past Goldstream, to keep passengers who could take the 50/95 from filling up the 61 and leaving Sooke-bound passengers missing buses.

Know it all.

#8674 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,846 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:16 AM

^ ^ Sooke buses go to and from downtown at peak. And the cash fare is $2.50 like all buses.

The monthly pass is now less attractive to workers that have some WFH days each week now. It’s only beneficial if you work 17 or more days per month and use it all those days both ways.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2023 - 08:20 AM.

#8675 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:20 AM

PM rush has downtown-Sooke service, AM rush has Sooke-downtown service.

Sooke riders have asked for a pick-up only service until past Goldstream, to keep passengers who could take the 50/95 from filling up the 61 and leaving Sooke-bound passengers missing buses.

Sooke buses go to and from downtown at peak. And the cash fare is $2.50 like all buses.

Oh they are still continuing that?  Yeah that is crazy...  So you guys are just complaining about off-peak times that those few riders have to transfer to another bus?  Now it's getting silly..  I thought buses would just go Sooke to Langford exchange and back.. That's it..  That's how I'd do it :)...

#8676 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

Oh they are still continuing that? Yeah that is crazy... So you guys are just complaining about off-peak times that those few riders have to transfer to another bus? Now it's getting silly.. I thought buses would just go Sooke to Langford exchange and back.. That's it.. That's how I'd do it :)...

It is helpful, if you’re going to argue, to get the basic facts straight.

After 7:40AM, every bus leaving Sooke will stop at Langford Exchange as of April 10th, and one-way fares double to $5 for transit service beyond that.
  • Ismo07 and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#8677 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,846 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:24 AM

And he was the one complaining about half-truths. 😃

#8678 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:26 AM

And he was the one complaining about half-truths.

Oh it's just the way the complaints were going I thought Transit eliminated all Sooke to Downtown, but it's only mid-day and night time.  So it affects even less people and Sooke gets more buses.  Got it.

Edited by Ismo07, 29 March 2023 - 08:26 AM.

• GaryOak likes this

#8679 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:35 AM

You guys keep saying that Sooke bus rides will have to pay more. When in reality most people either get a $5 day pass or a month pass. Very few people only go one way most people take at least 2 buses in one day, unless they are lucky enough to have a ride back home or into town.
  • Ismo07 and vortoozo like this

#8680 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:37 AM

When was the last time you guys even took the bus because it sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions that don't match up with reality.
  • Matt R. and vortoozo like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

phx, Bing (1)