Grocery List

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

^I had to look Kombucha up to find out what it is and I have decided to stay far away from it. But if you needed to find a case, I'd try a supermarket in one of those massive Chinese shopping malls over in Richmond.

Say, we dropped by Coombs the other day expecting to see a lonely fruit stand and a postcard rack but instead were shocked to find the whole goats on the roof schtick has grown to the size of a small shopping mall. They even had a full supermarket with good prices. We bought a tub of bocconcini cheese from the deli for half the price Thrifty usually charges. A new section of shops is being built that stretches behind the old church next to the marketplace.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

Anyone know if there's a place to get Halloumi cheese?
Had it on a roadtrip once with yams in the campfire. Pure heaven. It's a grilling cheese that doesn't really melt.

#43 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

^Have you tried Superstore? Cheese on a kebob--sounds intriguing.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#44 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

^I had to look Kombucha up to find out what it is and I have decided to stay far away from it. But if you needed to find a case, I'd try a supermarket in one of those massive Chinese shopping malls over in Richmond.

It is truly a horrendous tasting drink but very healthy. I like to think that it makes up for the abuse I inflict on myself on occasion.

Here's a little info on the stuff.

#45 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Had it on a roadtrip once with yams in the campfire. Pure heaven. It's a grilling cheese that doesn't really melt.

Is that the cheese they put in some Indian veggie dishes sometimes? I wonder if you could get in at an Indian grocery store.

#46 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

^Have you tried Superstore? Cheese on a kebob--sounds intriguing.

Ah, thank you. Didn't think to search for halloom.

#47 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I've seen it in the fancy cheese/deli sections of both Thrifty's and SaveOn

#48 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Say, we dropped by Coombs the other day expecting to see a lonely fruit stand and a postcard rack but instead were shocked to find the whole goats on the roof schtick has grown to the size of a small shopping mall. They even had a full supermarket with good prices. We bought a tub of bocconcini cheese from the deli for half the price Thrifty usually charges. A new section of shops is being built that stretches behind the old church next to the marketplace.

Yep we were quite shocked last fall when Mrs. ASE, me and the kidlin' dropped into Coombs after a Labor Day weekend in Tofino - the whole "goats on the roof schtick" has been completely supplanted by a mall-like scenario (there is no other way to describe it). Not at all as I remembered it, then again it had been 15+ years since I'd actually been there. Although the selection of goods is tremendous In a quaint sort of way that is too bad IMO. In fact although we looked for them ironically we never did see the goats due probably to too much automobile exhaust and fumes wafting about the complex.:whyme:

#49 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I was in Coombs yesterday and I thought I recalled a year or two ago that the goats are no longer on the roof, or maybe it is only certain parts of the year. Behind the Cuckoo's restaurant is a large fenced in field where they are being housed and that is where 2-3 of them were yesterday.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#50 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

While not a food item, I was hoping someone could help me out with this item. I'm looking for a white market stall type of gazebo/ canopy tent- 10'x10'. They have them at camping stores but I can't seem to find white ones.

Anyone?

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Goats were on the roof when I was there last summer. I hadn't been there in 20 years but I honestly didn't notice that things were very much different than they ever were. Hasn't parking always been bad there?

#52 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

in response to gumgum, jeune bros are pretty knowledgable about this kind of stuff and I have always found them helpful. We got our 10 X 10 at Can Tire but cant comment on colour selection

#53 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Goats were on the roof when I was there last summer. I hadn't been there in 20 years but I honestly didn't notice that things were very much different than they ever were. Hasn't parking always been bad there?

Costco had them a few years ago.

Edit; opps! this was supposed to a reply for gumgum

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks guys. Looked into both those places. Costco has one but it was not recommended by the guy I spoke with over the phone. No white ones at Canadian Tire and jeune bros has them but they are $500.
Tried sears and the bay and checked all used sites as well.

Any other ideas?

#55 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Would you consider renting one? Would that suit your needs? For my wedding last summer, the "party rental" place up in Nanaimo provided a 10x10 white gazebo-tent thing, set it up and took it down, too.

#56 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Call up the event tent people on Commerce Circle they will know where to get the small ones in white. http://www.islandtentsandevents.com/

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks guys. Looked into both those places. Costco has one but it was not recommended by the guy I spoke with over the phone. No white ones at Canadian Tire and jeune bros has them but they are $500.
Tried sears and the bay and checked all used sites as well.

Any other ideas?

Call the organizers of one of the many markets around town, they might know.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#58 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

Free shipping from Canada. Cheap.

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item4171892ee4

#59 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Free shipping from Ontario. It will be here before you know it. There are lot's more for more money if you need better quality.

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item4171892ee4

#60 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

It's not white, but it is priced right and you can have it this afternoon.

http://www.usedvicto...nd-New_19919753

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users