Linda McGrew [Open Victoria] | Council

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

Linda is director of the Cetus Research and Conservation Society. The holder of a B.Sc. and an MBA, she has run small businesses in Victoria and internationally, speaks Mandarin Chinese, and volunteers for the BC Green Party and the Victoria police department. “The Open Victoria team offers sound financial leadership, and a vision to transform the closed culture at City Hall,” Linda says. “I also believe in a more sustainable community, which is both environmentally and business oriented. As councillor, I want to support people in making healthy life choices for themselves and their families, and also facilitate our City in making healthy choices for the global environment and local economy.”

http://openvictoria.com/

#2 lindamcgrew

lindamcgrew
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

I am Linda McGrew and would be happy to hear any of your comments, concerns or issues. Please check out my website at www.lindamcgrew.com or post something here for a response.

#3 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hi, Linda.

Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring. I have some questions so that I can know more about you.

When you say you are a director of Cetus, do you mean that you are a director on the Board of Directors? or are you a staff member? What does this organization do?
How long have you lived in Victoria?
If you were on Council now, would you vote to spend over $500,000 to close the through streets in Beacon Hill Park. What is your rationale for how you would vote?
Pieta VanDyke

#4 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

I would like to know what Linda's views are on secondary sewage treatment in the CRD. Who should we listen to - the scientists who say it's unnecessary in Victoria's specific circumstances or the politicians who say it's required by policy?

#5 lindamcgrew

lindamcgrew
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

Hi, Linda.

Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring. I have some questions so that I can know more about you.

When you say you are a director of Cetus, do you mean that you are a director on the Board of Directors? or are you a staff member? What does this organization do?
How long have you lived in Victoria?
If you were on Council now, would you vote to spend over $500,000 to close the through streets in Beacon Hill Park. What is your rationale for how you would vote?

Hi Pieta,
Thanks for your questions.
Cetus Research and Conservation Society promotes the wellbeing of endangered and threatened marine mammals off BC's coast. You can learn more about us at www.cetussociety.org. I am the director, as in the boss, and yes I am paid staff. I have a volunteer board of 7 directors above me and between 4 and 20 staff and 5-50 volunteers (depending on the season, as both transient whale populations and the whale watching industry are seasonal) who work with me.

I have lived in Victoria since 1999, when I moved here to study Biochemistry and Microbiology at UVic. In 2007 I left Victoria for China, where I completed my MBA and learned Mandarin. I have been back home now since early 2011.

Although I do not have all the facts and therefore I cannot say how I would vote, I do agree that this half a million dollar project, for something we don't seem to reallyneed, seems a bit silly. In fact, Pieta, the city's current spending priorities are one of the major reasons why I am running for council. We keep spending money on things we don't need, and then getting slapped with huge bills we can't pay, for things we do need (77million dollar bridge, 59million dolar pool, 6.5 million dollar seismic upgrade to firehall #1, etc, etc.) There is no vision at ciy hall, just mounds of plans that cost money to put together and yet aren't being implemented.

What do you think about Beacon Hill Park, Pieta?
I run through it several times a week and have never noticed a problem.
Linda

#6 lindamcgrew

lindamcgrew
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

I would like to know what Linda's views are on secondary sewage treatment in the CRD. Who should we listen to - the scientists who say it's unnecessary in Victoria's specific circumstances or the politicians who say it's required by policy?

Hi Roark,

Issues like the dumping of millions of gallons of raw sewage into our oceans are issues that are near and dear to me, so thanks for your question about this! I love the ocean (we get 70% of our oxygen from it!) and it is out duty as humans to protect the animals in it.

I am a scientist and I work in ocean conservation. Every day I see the detrimental effects of human beings on our planet. The scientists who claim that dumping raw sewage filled with heavy metals and bioaccumulating toxins like CFC's and PCB's are the same sell-outs who try to say that global warming isn't happening, or that the wahle watching industry doesn't harm whales. In other words, I don't believe their "science" Roark, because as I scientist I know that data can be taken, analyzed and manipulated in such a way to make anything look real or fake.

There are better scientists out there, doing real science, who have proven the detrimental effects of our sewage on the ocean and it's inhabitants. I will email you a few papers if you'd like, simply email me at linda@lindamcgrew.com.

Now, the politicians who say it is required by policy are also potentially wrong. Ideally, it would be required by policy, but politicians, scientists, and citizens would want to promote actions for the sheer principles of not wanting to further devastate our planet. It's our duty, don't you think?

Linda

#7 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

I am a scientist and I work in ocean conservation. Every day I see the detrimental effects of human beings on our planet. The scientists who claim that dumping raw sewage filled with heavy metals and bioaccumulating toxins like CFC's and PCB's are the same sell-outs who try to say that global warming isn't happening, or that the wahle watching industry doesn't harm whales. In other words, I don't believe their "science" Roark, because as I scientist I know that data can be taken, analyzed and manipulated in such a way to make anything look real or fake.

There are better scientists out there, doing real science, who have proven the detrimental effects of our sewage on the ocean and it's inhabitants.

Now, the politicians who say it is required by policy are also potentially wrong. Ideally, it would be required by policy, but politicians, scientists, and citizens would want to promote actions for the sheer principles of not wanting to further devastate our planet. It's our duty, don't you think?

Linda

Thanks Linda, Our duty is to the empirical truth we strive to prove through the application of the scientific method. It is not to our feelings or blind devotion to policy.

You say that you are a scientist and that there are better scientists than those who have done a great deal of research on the problem. For the benefit of the electorate I would prefer it if you linked your research for all to see. I would also like to know the exact degrees you hold and the name of the institution that granted them since you say on your website that you have a

BSc and an MBA from universities in Victoria

Which Universities?

As for me, although I am not a trained scientist, as a citizen the scientists and doctors whose opinions I respect on the matter of Victoria's sewage treatment are the following:
  • Dr Brian Allen, Former Medical Officer of Health, CRD
  • Dr Kelly Barnard, Former Medical Officer of Health, VIHA
  • Peter Chapman, PhD, Golder Assoc. Ltd, aquatic ecologist, ecotoxicologist, environmental risk assessor
  • Jay Cullen, PhD, Assistant Professor, UVic, chemical oceanographer
  • Dr Brian Emerson, Former Medical Officer of Health, VIHA
  • Chris Garrett, PhD, Lansdowne Professor, Ocean Physics, UVic, Professor Emeritus, Physical Oceanographer
  • Dr John Millar, Former Health Officer, Province of BC
  • Jack Littlepage, PhD, UVic, Marine Biologist
  • Rob Macdonald, PhD, Research Scientist, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Chemical Oceanographer
  • Tim Parsons, PhD, OC, Professor Emeritus, UBC, Biological Oceanographer
  • Dr Shaun Peck, Former Deputy Health Officer, Province of BC, Former Medical Health Officer, CRD
  • Dr Richard Stanwick, Chief Medical Officer, VIHA
  • Tom Pedersen, PhD, Dean of Science, UVIC, Marine Geochemist
  • Rick Thomson, PhD, Research Scientist, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Physical Oceanographer
  • Diana Varela, PhD, Associate Professor, UVic, Oceanographer

Do you really say you that disagree with the views of the above people who support the current sewage treatment system over the proposed land-based solution?

Are you saying that they are, as you said, also global warming deniers?

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here. If so, I would like to get your comments on the following video that documents the real facts of the sewage matter
http://youtu.be/_eRXK2AoCEk

#8 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

Its pretty hard to see how Tom Pederson, the director of the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions could be termed a climate denier. Its also hard to imagine anyone claiming to be a scientist who loves the ocean saying that there are better scientists out there than local oceanographic luminaries like Chris Garrett, Robbie MacDonald, Tim Parsons or Rick Thomson. Not at all to slight the more junior scientists on that list, but those 5 individuals have stellar international reputations, and it is ridiculous to term any of them "sell-outs".

You can argue you think dumping "millions of liters" (btw, not a very useful scientific unit for the holder of a BSc) of sewage is icky. And I'd be very interested to see your peer-reviewed reading list, but if I was you, I'd withhold judging the quality of scientific credentials of others until you get inducted into the Royal Society of Canada for your years of research accomplishments.

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

Someone working in the sciences who opposed wasteful poorly planned spending but supports sewage treatment :((

This election is going to be very tough for me to vote for more than a couple people...
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 lindamcgrew

lindamcgrew
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hi Roark,
I have a Biochemistry and Microbiology degree from Uvic. If I were an oceanographer or ocean researcher, I don't think I would be running for city council. I am neither of these things, but I am very comfortable with reading peer reviewed journal articles as well as non-peered reviewed ones and finding faults in methods, analysis and conclusions.
You would like me to post my data but you have only listed names. Where are your peer reviewed journals? Please email them to me. I am open to new information.
I cannot seem to find a way to attach my articles to the thread, but as I said you are free to email me and I can attach them to an email for you.

This seems to me like it is going down an unhealthy road, based on your talent to twist my words and use slippery slope rhetoric. I'd hope that if we were to have this conversation in person you would be a little kinder.

I think it is OK for us to have differing opinions, Roark. You can go ahead and believe that what you do every day has no impact on the environment and that we shouldn't be doing something. Originally the issue was the sewage, now you are slipping to something new again where it is now "views of the above people who support the current sewage treatment system over the proposed land-based solution"

From my understanding, the land based solution is in fact worse for the environment than pumping sewage direct into the ocean.

What, specifically is your question, sir?

#11 lindamcgrew

lindamcgrew
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

There is a balance, Baro. I believe we can be making better decisions both financially and for the environment. We don't have to make a choice of one over the other. We can make choices and policies and decisions that promote both smart spending and a cleaner environment at the same time. Both the solution to pump raw sewage into the ocean and the current 7 million dollar land based solution which is in fact using a greater carbon footprint are insufficient. We can work together to do things right for our financial and environmental health. Don't you think?

#12 lindamcgrew

lindamcgrew
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

Its pretty hard to see how Tom Pederson, the director of the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions could be termed a climate denier. Its also hard to imagine anyone claiming to be a scientist who loves the ocean saying that there are better scientists out there than local oceanographic luminaries like Chris Garrett, Robbie MacDonald, Tim Parsons or Rick Thomson. Not at all to slight the more junior scientists on that list, but those 5 individuals have stellar international reputations, and it is ridiculous to term any of them "sell-outs".

You can argue you think dumping "millions of liters" (btw, not a very useful scientific unit for the holder of a BSc) of sewage is icky. And I'd be very interested to see your peer-reviewed reading list, but if I was you, I'd withhold judging the quality of scientific credentials of others until you get inducted into the Royal Society of Canada for your years of research accomplishments.

And I will with hold the judging of your quite obvious superior education and status to such a time when you put yourself out there and run for public office.

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

There is a balance, Baro. I believe we can be making better decisions both financially and for the environment. We don't have to make a choice of one over the other. We can make choices and policies and decisions that promote both smart spending and a cleaner environment at the same time. Both the solution to pump raw sewage into the ocean and the current 7 million dollar land based solution which is in fact using a greater carbon footprint are insufficient. We can work together to do things right for our financial and environmental health. Don't you think?

I think the issue is that most all the science says treatment is not needed and our current system is working. Would treatment maybe help the environment in some tiny way? Probably. Is it worth spending the money on? That's the question. I think there's so many more effective things the money could go towards if the goal is improving and protecting the environment.

Take the LRT debate. I'm a train and tram obsessed car-hater and I think the plan is a bad idea. Would an LRT be good to have? Absolutely! Are there a thousand better ways to spend that money if the goal is better transit and less car-trips? Absolutely.

I want a council that can effectively prioritize spending based on what will be the most effective use of funds to achieve large-scale goals.

#14 aaroninvictoria

aaroninvictoria
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Linda has some great attributes that will help our City. She is smart, and has a large amount of experience in business... Her studies in the Environment are also of great value to us. I would be happy to work with her on Council, her frame of mind is open, she is very much engaged in new and innovative ways to preserve our environment, and her heart is definitely in the right place.

But… I can see by the dialogue that she is not used to dealing with the usual suspects of Vibrant Victoria… ;) (neither am I for that matter)

Hey Linda, chin up… these folk have very good intentions and want to make sure their vote is going to the right person. Show them what you are made of... and they will not let you down.
@aaroninvictoria aka @aaronhallcooks

#15 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I'm at peace with the fact that NO candidate will match my views or goals 100%, all I can do is vote for the best. I'll most likely vote for you open victoria guys!

#16 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

And I will with hold the judging of your quite obvious superior education and status to such a time when you put yourself out there and run for public office.

I wasn't complaining about your educational attainments, I certainly wasn't comparing them to mine, and I'm not clear what running for office has to do with it.

So far as I know - and I'm no expert on sewage treatment - is that the scientific consensus is that ocean-based sewage treatment is the best way to treat sewage given our access to an extremely quickly flushing body of water, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, with the caveat that you source control for heavy metals, pcbs etc.

What I object to, and very strongly, is your impugning the credibility, ability, and honesty of the scientists who contributed to this consensus. You can disagree with them, and for all I know they are wrong and you are right. But, ironically, attempting to publicly discredit them is exactly the kind of tactics used by the climate change deniers you accuse these folks of being.

If ad-honimem attacks are how you are going to debate issues, I don't think you'll be getting my vote.

#17 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hi Roark,
I have a Biochemistry and Microbiology degree from Uvic. If I were an oceanographer or ocean researcher, I don't think I would be running for city council. I am neither of these things, but I am very comfortable with reading peer reviewed journal articles as well as non-peered reviewed ones and finding faults in methods, analysis and conclusions.
You would like me to post my data but you have only listed names. Where are your peer reviewed journals? Please email them to me. I am open to new information.
I cannot seem to find a way to attach my articles to the thread, but as I said you are free to email me and I can attach them to an email for you.

This seems to me like it is going down an unhealthy road, based on your talent to twist my words and use slippery slope rhetoric. I'd hope that if we were to have this conversation in person you would be a little kinder.

I think it is OK for us to have differing opinions, Roark. You can go ahead and believe that what you do every day has no impact on the environment and that we shouldn't be doing something. Originally the issue was the sewage, now you are slipping to something new again where it is now "views of the above people who support the current sewage treatment system over the proposed land-based solution"

From my understanding, the land based solution is in fact worse for the environment than pumping sewage direct into the ocean.

What, specifically is your question, sir?

My apologies Linda, but I was not intending to trip you up. I really did just want to know whether or not you were in support of or against the planned secondary sewage mega-project. It's often hard to read people motives or intent in a forum and format such as this, and in this case, I was trying to ask a simple question to get a simple answer. If you re-read your reply, however, it does seem that you were casting aspersions on the information on the sites I linked - in very broad strokes. That is why I felt the need to defend the list of scientists and public whose work and comments are available through those two links.

Perhaps I read too much into your reply and assumed, in error, that you were aware of the details of a project that has been looming over Victoria for decades.

When a project comes along such as this one that has been objectively proven not to provide any measurable benefit to the environment whatsoever, yet will cost the average property tax-payer in the CRD an extra $200-500 a year for 50 years, then you can see why I am concerned about the views of potential council members on the subject.

When I vote for someone, I want to know what their background is and what their views are on important topics, such as sewage treatment, the Johnson Street Bridge, homelessness, etc. I asked you about sewage treatment because your particular work and education background made me want to know your opinion.

Now that I have your answer, that you believe the land-based solution is worse than the current primary sewage treatment system, I am satisfied. Thank-you for taking the time to answer it, and thank-you for running. I would like to pass on a bit of advice though. Don't make assumptions when answering questions, and don't offer more than the answer. If you do manage to get elected, you're going to have to weather far worse than poorly phrased questions on a forum. Dean Fortin and his gang are nasty pieces of work in Camera, so if you expect to make it in politics you would do well to develop a thicker skin as well.

Oh, one last thing - Which school in China did you receive your MBA from?

#18 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

In other words, she's superior to you because she's put herself out there as a political candidate even though you have completely dismantled her logic on the subject of secondary sewage treatment.

Wow.
In chains by Keynes

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

I'll be voting for you Linda based on your support for sewage treatment.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#20 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Linda, on your website you make some comments about your position on occupy Victoria

There is no doubt that the Bush administration implemented certain policies through their reign, which has allowed the rich to grow richer must faster, without the poor getting additional opportunity.

You may want to double check that statement as in fact a lot of the current deregulation started in the Carter Administration, accelerated under Reagan and Clinton due mainly to the influence of people like Allan Greenspan.

Bush is a fall guy for a lot of things but in this all he did was carry the torch that had been lit by 3 decades of prior administrations of both colours....

As for your statement on raw sewage being 'dumped into the ocean'. This doesnt happen, the sewage is treated, just not to the extent of a land based or land-locked system. There is primary, secondary and tertiary, which one do you support?

Check these sites out for scientific opinions in case you arent aware of them

http://aresst.ca/

http://www.rstv.ca/m...s-review-of-en/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users